Testing CLAT for IPv6-only mobile networks

Maybe it is too early to judge, but my impression is that since installing the latest connman version on my Xperia 10 III, my network connection is much more stable than before. This is especially true for Android apps which had complained about being offline most of the time before.
I will continue to watch the network’s behaviour in the next days, but for now I want to thank everyone who worked on fixing that issue.

1 Like

Thank you for testing. I’m glad to hear that it even improves stability. Apparently nothing is broken then and this is good news and supports the decision to include the changes in the next release.

2 Likes

I am running the new lib now for a few weeks. I had no problem to fix, but it also does not seem to break anything.

1 Like

Works fine when roaming, too. Escaping the operator terrorizing me with IPv6-only by driving over the frontier to an IPv4-wonderland with the help of PureMaps without never turning the phone off. Bulletproof operation both with VPN on or off. Gives the usual “SIM card has been changed, you need to reboot” strange message but I just shrugged it off and nothing bad happened in the IP-world. Production.

1 Like

The new clat version is a huge improvement for me. Since installing this version i didn’t loose the interface anymore. Thank you!

1 Like

I’m not so sure anymore. Now after some time I have to say that especially Android apps keep complaining about being offline more often than not.
Whenever that happens, a restart of Android app support is necessary to restore mobile network connectivity.

1 Like

Can you describe that in what kind of situations these happen? Roaming or changing network types? Or after a long uptime of the device in general? There are many variables here and some error cases may originate from app support even. Without any logs it is difficult to tell but may I boldly assume that the situation is not at least worse than before?

There are no special circumstances in my case. No roaming, no unusual long uptime, no frequent App support restarts. Usually I avoid activating Wifi and use mobile data only (Telekom Germany), in order to avoid network switches.
This time even restarting Android app support didn’t help so far, so it may be related to a different issue now. Have to reboot tonight…
BTW, as described in another post, Whatsapp seems to be the only Android app with working network connectivity, all other apps are offline.

I have also do the test with my Orange network in Belgium, and IPV6 connections works perfect here, the only things would be none of my Androids apps see the connection and are offline, with IPV4 i have still a limited connection and after a reboot i keep having a limited connection, this is not the case with IPV6…

To clarify, this CLAT implementation is for the networks that support it. CLAT is used to tunnel IPv4 traffic over IPv6 connection to support them both on a device. So you’d have to have a working IPv6 connection for that. If you select IPv4 only in the “Cellular network” → “Data Access Point” as the “Protocol” CLAT does nothing. Apparently your operator does not support IPv4 at all or is this the case with other devices using the same SIM? CLAT will try to get enabled when the “Protocol” is set to “Dual” (provided your ISP does not assign IPv4 at all to your device, if it does CLAT will not start) or “IPv6”.

Make the changes on your device according to the initial post and there are also good instructions written by canne - just remember to use the repository defined in this post. Get the logs and send them to connman-debug@jolla.com and then I can check what is going on with that network.

Ok thanks for the info i send you the log files today :wink: Thanks again for your great work !!

1 Like

I never did something in the terminal but tried to use CLAT because i am having also troubles with my internet for some months. I used the instructions above as suggested in several other threads.
But it didn’t work so far. I screenshottet my terminal; can someone explain me what i did wrong? ':slight_smile:
Thanks for your help!

Thank you for the logs. Your issue is not CLAT related according to the logs, your ISP clearly sets IPv4 addressing - I’m assuming this is done with the mobile data “dual” mode? I wonder what happens if you use “IPv6” only mode.

One thing that was obvious was that your device does not set default route for IPv6, whereas for IPv4 everything seems to be set. And there does not seem to be drops in firewall (iptables) either. I’d hate to hijack this thread to anything else that is not CLAT related issue but could you make sure you have the journal configuration added, which is mentioned in canne’s post since the log seems to be quite short. And please take the logs after booting the device so everything from start is included. Also, try to change the mobile data “Data Access Point” → “Protocol” to “IPv6” after it first connects using “DUAL”. This might reveal something.

And, furthermore, please add to /etc/sysconfig/connman this to the end of the line that was added: -d plugins/sailfish_ofono.c to cover more ground.

Send the logs to the same address and I’ll have a look.

You have to use root account to make the changes to the device. So first type devel-su and your developer mode password and then start applying the commands. It is rather more convenient if you SSH to the device first from your computer, which requires enabling remote connection in the developer mode settings.

If you are not testing VPN you can skip the tcpdump parts.

I just upgraded to 4.5.0.25 (Struven ketju)
WLAN hotspot sharing still looks like it’s broken
I thought there was a fix to allow internet sharing from IPv6 networks that just missed the last SailfishOS update but was pending?

4.5.0 contained most of the CLAT stuff, and hotspotting on IPv6 mobile networks works for most people now. 4.5.0.25 is just a EULA update and doesn’t contain any software updates. It’s mostly VPN compatibility fixes that have been done since then, so if you’re having problems with your particular provider then more debugging will probably be required. Can you give more details or take some logs?

Hi thanks for your reply

I’m using EE UK
What logs would be good to take?

The first post in this thread has all the info you need for CLAT log taking. Also this one for some other tips. You don’t need to add any repositories or install any packages - using the 4.5.0 version will be enough to test with. Which device are you using?