Testing CLAT for IPv6-only mobile networks

Thanks for the clarification and for your work!

2 Likes

I will give it a try on my next reboot.

3 Likes

After rebooting and enabling hotspot it WORKED. I’m writing this post using my laptop with the 10iii as the hotspot. Thank you guys.

6 Likes

Wonderful! And thank you for testing and letting us know. If you encounter any issues during your continued testing we’d appreciate the logs collected with the script detailed in the 1st message. Also, it wouldn’t hurt to see what kind of output there is in successful cases, too.

1 Like

I’ve everything set up to collect the logs. I just need to know what would be the best way(what to enable after a fresh reboot before taking a log) and where to send it.

You could do the preparations before a new boot so the full progress is shown in the logs.

Personally I’d recommend adding a new journald configuration to not to do rate limiting but this is not absolutely necessary. This can be done by

mkdir -p /etc/systemd/journald.conf.d/
cat <<EOF >/etc/systemd/journald.conf.d/debug.conf
[Journal]
Storage=persistent
RateLimitIntervalSec=0s
RateLimitBurst=0
SystemMaxUse=100M
RuntimeMaxUse=2M
EOF

And then add the sysconf args for ConnMan (since this works, I guess clat.c and nat.c from the 1st post suffice):

cat <<EOF >/etc/sysconfig/connman
SYSCONF_ARGS=-d plugins/clat.c -d src/nat.c
EOF

Changes will be effective after the services are restarted or the device is rebooted.

The resulting archive can be then sent to connman-debug@jolla.com

After taking the logs you can just simply remove the created files.

rm /etc/systemd/journald.conf.d/debug.conf
rm /etc/sysconfig/connman

Can we get some kind of notification when the worst bugs have been ironed out? I’m affected by this bug and I’d really like to try it once it is good enough to not require a reflash in case of problems.

1 Like

If it is not working, just remove the added repo, remove tayga and reinstall the updated rpms.
These were installed on my 10iii

connman connman-plugin-vpn-l2tp connman-plugin-vpn-openconnect connman-plugin-vpn-openvpn connman-plugin-vpn-pptp connman-plugin-vpn-vpnc connman-vpn-scripts

Email is on its way.

1 Like

Hi! We have ironed out the bugs we know and can test with the resources we have. For example, this is not possible to test in Finland as AFAIK none of the operators support CLAT yet (Telia has IPv6 in planning, DNA supports apparently DUAL mode well as so does Elisa). Please correct me if I’m wrong about the current state. Most of the internal process of the CLAT implementation has been simulated with unit tests but those cannot cover any real world situations in the full extent. Therefore, we are asking community to give us feedback.

This does not affect the core functionality as much that there is a risk of bricking the device. Tayga is started by ConnMan only in the situation when mobile data (cellular) is connected and is the default communication medium (or, service) in use and hasn’t gotten an IPv4 address but IPv6 address exists.

If you want to be really cautious you can download the current version packages of ConnMan prior to adding the repository. Copy the packages somewhere that package managers cannot remove them.

One would need to download (with pckon or zypper):
connman connman-plugins-vpn-{l2tp,openconnect,openvpn,pptp,vpnc} connman-vpn-scripts (and connman-tools if this was installed). And install them after disabling the repository by allowing downgrade.

2 Likes

Installed and tried it today on my freshly flashed 10III. Today at noon hotspot also worked perfectly, tested with an XA2 and Steam Deck. Unfortunately it’s no longer possible right now. Just get limited connection with no internet as before
My provider is Deutsche(german) Telekom

Have you tried rebooting the phone?

Yes I have, especially when it was no longer possible. Have also restarted the network via the utility or tried turning airplane mode on and off

Just tested it myself, Hotspot didn’t work anymore. After a reboot it was back working again. Which apn settings do you use for Telekom?

Unfortunately not for me

Thank you for the feedback. I’d be interested to see the logs of such case, limited connection means that online check did not succeed and that part is not touched with these changes. In addition to the aforementioned files put to /etc/sysconfig/connman in this case it would be beneficial to add -d plugins/sailfish_ofono.c as well. There can be a plethora of reasons for the mobile data staying on limited connection state so it is a bit hard to guess without seeing some logs.

EDIT: src/sailfish_ofono.c → plugins/sailfish_ofono.c

1 Like

Thank you! All seems well there according to the logs but there is always a room for improvement. And further internal testing showed some other issues as well. We’ve made a new version that is later today /tomorrow available on the same repository.

2 Likes

1.32+git193.25 should now be available on the community OBS for update

3 Likes

Couldn’t test hotspot yet, but everything else seems to work. Thanks.

Update: Hotspot works.
Update2:18hours later, it is still working.

1 Like

Tried it today with the new version and it works so far, at least I can get hotspot to run after a reboot

1 Like