Swedish translation error

@jahonen There is a misspell in Swedish translation string 564144. There should be no hyphen.

Hi,
Thanks! I have now corrected this but it won’t make the next SW release, only the one after that.

Br,
Jarkko

1 Like

@eson, yes, this was probably a test balloon that got astray in the work to make as much as possible symmetric. I will put component hyphen noun on the review list again.

While you are all here, the I in Internet in sailjail-permissions has ended up being lowercase.
When i’m not logged in there is a checkbox for “needs work”, but i can’t see that when logged in, so just wanted to poke you if the suggestion to fix it doesn’t show up automatically.

@attah, ok, thanks. Put on list. This is on the other hand a style change on the horizon in the same spirit as TV -> tv with increased popularity/commonality, but it will probably not happen just yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s already happened. Officially you can spell it either way, and the recommendation is lowercase i.

@eson, yes, I know, the yet part of the comment was about this product and community. As coordinator I am all for for any of the next rounds if there are not a huge amount of change requests.

Hrmf… i’ll ignore that for now :slight_smile:
But the string i referred to is one among other permission names, all with initial capital letter.

@attah, yes, we take one step at a time …

1 Like

Sorry, a misunderstand on my side.

No worries, poor information on my part.

The same has happened in Finnish, too (sigh). Both internet and Internet are acceptable.

Interestingly, @attah is using the lowercase ‘i’ when referring to himself although it should be an uppercase ‘I’ according to English grammar. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@jovirkku I am still positively surprised how few instant messaging idiosyncrasies there are on the forum. But people maybe are using desktop broswers rather than the sfos browser, where typingvis certainly is a bit challenging for oldish people like me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

New browser menu (SFOS 4.0.2) “Historia” should be “Historik”, I think!
I made new suggestion on two occurrences at Sailfish OS Localisation.

3 Likes

In the browser setting “Home page” both options “Default home page” and “Custom website” are translated as “Startsida”. Should probably be something like “Standardhemsida” och “Anpassad hemsida”

Also after selecting the first Startsida (Default home page), the selected value is displayed as “Skönsvärde”. I don’t recognise this word, and it has very few search hits online. Should probably be “Standard”.

(I was not able locate these translations on translate.sailfishos.org)

Hmm, it almost suspected some sv-fi mixup, but apparently it is a proper IT term in Swedish, just outdated. Förvalt värde | IDG:s ordlista

It seems to be the first suggestion in the terminology for Swedish. I too had never heard it, and agree that it needs updating.

Ping @ljo

@attah, @tw1 To firstly address the term as you attah name it outdated “skönsvärde”. The reason it is the first one in the terminology is because it is the broader of the two different meanings we have in Swedish for translating “default” so I tried to make this clear in the terminology. Sometimes we travel slowly with changing because consistency is still more important so we get all when a switch i decided. I can tell we still use “skönsvärde” in all projects we run with external actors.
So to your direct question tw1. Thanks for reaching out. Yes, some further consistency can be wished for, and we are getting there slowly, I changed some just the other week so we don’t have too many alternative variants. There are still some on my list. It is for instance “hemsida” in some apps still. But to start with if the English term is “default” it will be the current Swedish term for “default” as stated in the terminology, and then if we switch it might become the contender “förvalt värde” from IDGs less authorative list. Bur for this actual use you mention, tw1, my strive is to get the more obvious value “startsida” used consistently between the different uses of hompepage/startpage/default x etc in English. I hope this clarifies some of the context of this.

1 Like

@jovirkku There is a shameful typo in string 676409
I think my suggestion would fix that. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for reporting. It will be fixed.

1 Like

After wandering some ice-slough it is fixed now. :slight_smile:

1 Like