Support for official Fairphone 3+ port - FairSail -

Yep, that is the exact reason behind the suggestions in this thread.

Personally I don’t care whether I have Sailfish on a Sony, a Fairphone or any other type of phone - I just want it to work reliably and properly. I am a user, not a developer, and my understanding (or lack of) of why this or that doesn’t work properly is not an acceptance of the fact that it doesn’t work.

If a change of hardware supplier, over which Jolla has more control over and access to the hardware adaptation, such that both companies work together to produce a working product without Jolla’s limited resources being spread over an ever increasing range of phones with an ongoing and frequent replacement cycle, then this gets my vote (which of course is completely worthless in the grand scheme of Jolla’s development!).

1 Like

afaik Jolla had already discussed this with Fairphone. Fairphone is not willing to pay Jolla to put SFOS on their devices, so blame Fairphone, not Jolla.

Strange argument here :thinking:.
Did sony pay for SFOS on there devices? I don’t think so :nerd_face:.

It’s a bit hazy as a lot has happened since but I believe “sledges” said it when I met him I think the winter before COVID. He might have said “most programmers” and I’m reasonably sure he was working P/T at the time.
Given the dire financial state Jolla was in prior to Rostelcom, it’s easy to believe, contributing to my high certainty to claim it as true here.

I made most of the arguments here to him and he apparently had nothing to hide. As an authoritative source, I’m largely replicating his replies.
I suspect if Sony paid Jolla, he’d have mentioned it. He was quite clear that Jolla chose Sony largely because of the professional relationship. Awesome guy, by the way.

2 Likes

I have been away on vacation but it seems like quite a healthy discussion is ongoing. Thank you all !

Tomorrow we do have time on the IRC chat to discuss this with Jolla. Question was gratefully submitted on mybehalf by @sledges with enough time for a discussion.

Others are welcome to join otherwise I will be there.

Can we distil down the conversation to one or two sharp questions for the discussion, or points for me to refer to in the discussion ?

This is a link to the submitted questions : Community meeting on IRC 19th August 2021 - #3 by sledges

@rinigus provided a great answer on some legal aspects, which was a new insight for me thank you.

An awesome idea! Yes please.
Jolla might have studied this already, but even if they have, then study again!
The way with Sony as a companion seems to be a little bit too rocky one in my eyes…

You made it very clear. Well done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our intrepid crew went down to “just 20 employees at the end of 2015.

I’d guess most were part time. I’m not sure how quickly employment went up after the Rostelcom contract came in but it sounded like Jolla were very hesitant… either scarred by the ‘near-death experience’ or through contractual obligations to remain afloat.

Hope no-one minds me necroing the thread in a potentially off-topic way but I personally love Jolla’s underdog story.