Support for FOSS Cloud Apps Bitwarden and Simplenote

Hello guys.

I like the Apps

Simplenote (Note-taking application and service)

Bitwarden (Open Source Password Management)

I use them on my Linux Notebook and under Android. It would be great to have native SailfishOS Apps for it. I think the Api i open and it should be easy to port them to SailfishOS.
Or am i wrong?

1 Like

No, you are right. Will you make one? Or pay someone on fever for it? I’d really like to see a possibility to pay devs doing this, like a SFOS specific fiverr service.

1 Like

I would be happy to donate to a dev for his work.

Simplenote are not supporting additional third-party applications at this time. Source - https://simplenote.com/developers/ So i didn’t find any documentation. Maybe somebody could port open source electron app to qt. I’m not familiar with js enough to do it.
I didn’t find documentation for Bitwarden too, but probably i can try to create UI for Bitwarden-cli. I didn’t do it before.
Below is my alternatives to resolve your problems. Maybe i helps.
I use keepassx as password manager and sync kdbx file with personal nextcloud installation. I use Sailfish native app ownKeepass to open kdbx file and SailSync to sync folders.
For notes i use nextcloud too. Linux has GUI apps that works with nextCloud notes as well

2 Likes

I’m working on bitwarden client: https://github.com/nemishkor/harbour-bitwarden-manager

Done: authorization, particular sync function
I’ve tried to create native app based on nodejs code (CLI project) but have got some issues in decryption implementation. Harbour restriction and old Qt version does not allow to use Qt-based solution. I found another solution based on C code + openssl, crypto libs but I do not have skills in C enough to adapt the code. openssl, crypto libs allowed by harbour-validator.
It would be nice if somebody could helps me with hkdf, aes-256-cbc.

2 Likes

ти зробив мiй день, Вiталя!

2 Likes

We need someone to adopt this poor orphaned child too :<

1 Like

What do you mean? Looks like app works fine. Probably i do not have enough skills to maintain ownKeepass.

It’s fine for now but author orphaned it

I tried compiling the app for aarch64. It depends on 3 libraries which doesn’t have an aarch64 version yet.
So no native keepass app yet on 64 bit devices (X10ii) :cry:

Definitely someone needs to adopt ownKeepass. I could if I knew more about cryptography, but, alas I’m no security expert :frowning:

1 Like

I mean, ownkeepass uses keepassxc internally so just updating interals is enough

there are plenty of note taking apps on the market now: Top 14 Best Note Taking Apps for Windows, Mac, Android and iPad: Free and Paid | XPPen
Simplenote has a very minimal look and feel. This is something I generally look for in an app to record meeting notes, thoughts, ideas, etc. I don’t want to be bogged down by a gajillion different features I will never use.

But also Simplenote is just a little too simple for my liking. Specifically two things that would make it perfect for me would be a WYSIWYG formatting tab (as opposed to markdown only). I also wish there was the ability to create some simple tables to record information in an organized grid.

Notizen.md from Storeman can format ASCII notes nicely using markdown, including a table extension to markdown. My markdown editor on my desktop (ReText) also supports the same extensions for tables so I think it must be common. I won’t attempt to put the syntax here as it will probably be interpreted and mis-displayed, but Notizen.md comes with an example file explaining it. As with standard markdown the table additions allow for sensible display in ASCII (using - and | etc), but a nicer display in a markdown formatter.

I have choosen Simplenote for me, because i have a lot of linux commands, workarounds, and other data i need to store, view and edit. Important for me was, that i can access my notes from every gadget, PC etc. everywhere in the world. Even when i am on a public PC. So for me the simple sync is very important. Wysiwyg edit options are nice to have, but not a showstopper for me.