Sudden black screen crash (screen turned off)

REPRODUCIBILITY: happened once
OS VERSION: 5.2.0.17
HARDWARE: Jolla Phone 2026
UI LANGUAGE: any
REGRESSION: unknown

DESCRIPTION:

This will be a pretty useless bug report on its own, but I have to post it because maybe other people have run into something similar and will be able to provide more info. I feel like I read some posts about black screen crashes, but I can’t find them anymore. If it’s a duplicate, hopefully the keywords in this topic will help with discoverability.

I had taken my phone out of my pocket, checked my messages in an Android app, wrote a new one and tapped ‘send’, and the instant my finger hit the screen, the screen turned off. Pressing the power button a couple of times didn’t turn on the screen, but there was no red LED that typically appears when the home screen crashes either.
However, I don’t think the phone was actually turned off, because long-pressing the power button didn’t turn the phone on, but instead gave the vibration of it turning off. But again, no LED indicator that would normally show when turning off. After waiting a couple of seconds and long-pressing the power button again, the phone gave the vibration of it turning on, and it did in fact turn on.
So my interpretation as a complete layman is that the “display server” crashed, but somehow also whatever process is responsible for the LED logic crashed as well, all at the same time.
If there’s any automatically created log file I could upload, please let me know and I’ll do so asap.
This is the first time this has happened to me after using the phone with essentially the same setup for almost two months, and I don’t feel like I did anything out of the ordinary, so I have no idea what could possibly have triggered it.

I was in a dark environment, and my screen suffers from the black-not-being-black issue, so I was able to tell that the screen was in fact off and not just black.

PRECONDITIONS:

unknown

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

  1. unknown

EXPECTED RESULT:

No crash.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Crash.

MODIFICATIONS:

none

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

4 Likes

Sound like a restart of home screen to me like you can force it va Sailfish Utilities. I have tat sometimes too, had that even on Xperia 10 III. Best thing is to stay calm and wait until the screen reappears. Holding the power button will force complete restart.

BTW I also have no idea what triggers that behavior…

2 Likes

But unless I’m mixing things up, a homescreen crash causes the red LED to light up, which didn’t happen in this case. And to be clear, I waited a while before long-pressing the power button, but nothing happened.

In my case of this behavior theres no led indication. Screen just turns black, no led, power button does nothing (but leads to a restart if you hold the button pressed). When I wait at least a minute (or better two) and press the power button again the screen lights up like when you wake up the phone to unlock.

3 Likes

This happens to me too roughly once a week. The phone is still running, I can ssh into it. Yesterday, this happened while watching a video. The sound was still there, but black screen…

2 Likes

I also expierienced these black screens and did some restarts but I do not think these are necessary.
I became 60 some time ago and hence I am now older but wiser. I believe these black screens are caused by a frozen app and just waiting a while will solve the problem. Of all the things I thought I did roughly 90% just happened while I was around.

I think you’re thinking of something else. Indeed, when (Android) apps hang, they can show a black screen, but in that case the screen is still on, and you can just swipe from the edges to get back to the home screen (or close it or open the top menu or app launcher). That wasn’t possible in this case, because the screen was in fact turned off.

Yes, the screen is off and on top of that, the buttons do not work. Yesterday, the sound of the video was playing and the volume buttons didn’t change the volume… If this happens again at home with Wifi switched on, I’ll wait for two minutes and then I’ll ssh into the phone to restart lipstick. I suppose this is lipstick related, but this is just a hunch…

I had the same issue with my JP2, it happened to me twice: screen off and it didn’t respond when I pressed power button or double tapped the screen. I held down the power button for a few seconds twice, and my phone rebooted. In my case, I don’t use android support, I was sending a message when it happened

Did it happen the instant you tapped the screen or without tapping the screen? Maybe we can try to narrow it down at least a bit.

1 Like

This just happened to me, I was browsing this forum (with ESR153 from OpenRepos) and the screen suddenly went black while reading and scrolling down the thread. I waited ~1 minute before I made a reboot holdind down the power button. The browser is experimental also so I don’t know if my case gives any value for the bug report.

1 Like

Yes, I was tapping the screen, at least the last time it happened

1 Like

I remember taking it out of my pocket in that state. So no touches involved there…

1 Like

Meanwhile I had three dead on desk incidents since updating to 5.2.0.18 and various black display issues but ssh was still working. I also encountered the red blinking led-of-death after a patchmanager ‘restart preloaded services’, but a full reboot fixed it.

I uploaded logs if anybody know what to look for in the release thread [Release notes] Finlayson 5.2.0.18 - Jolla Phone first… #/34279/153

Since the last things I played around with were a patchmanager update from chum and xplanet + ImageMagick, I did a patchmanager downgrade to the Openrepos-version and removed xplanet (xplanet-backgound) for now as I found entries in the journal logs and wasn‘t sure what they meant. xplanet worked fine on 5.2.0.17 (after some tinkering) though.

2 Likes

It still happens just by lying on the desk in front of me.

I tried going stock, no patches, no muoto, ‘dconf reset -f /desktop/sailfish/silica/’, no sim card, no sdcard. only connected to wifi and AAS enabled. I left it on charger over night and there were no reboots as far as I can tell.

Since unplugging and toying around a bit I again had ~ 4 reboots in the last 5 - 6 hours and one dead by lying around.

Since it started with the latest firmware update I hesitate to remove and reinsert the battery for now.

1 Like

IIRC we already established that the phone might not be dead and in this case one should ssh into it to continue troubleshooting and/or restart the home screen?

1 Like

I guess these might belong here as well, although my issues began only after updating to 5.2.0.18. I had no possibility to SSH into the phone to do any further analysis. If this happens again, I’m close to a computer, and I don’t need to urgently do something else with my phone, I will do some troubleshooting next time I experience a crash.

Does anybody else is having dozens of kenel messages with:

Jolla kernel: kernel_thermal_hint: get soc-smap0 thermal zone error

Jolla kernel: kernel_thermal_hint: get soc-smap1 thermal zone error

Jolla kernel: kernel_thermal_hint: [wlan][3100]soc7_0ForceEnabledHostCsrIrq:(HAL ERROR) Polling conn_infra ID failed. (0xdeadfeed)

Could it be that something is slowly heating up some cpus/chips and a security shutdown is preventing overheating?