[Strategies] Bringing more sailors to SFOS

In what is the Vollaphone different from GigasetGS290? Did you flash Sailfish on it? You can buy a Gigaset here for about E180,-. It seems to be unlockable. I bought one with /e/ ready flashed.It’s a good device, apart from the camera. But I like Sailfish and keep using my Sony.

1 Like

when sfos was initially released wifh j1 the gap from android and ios was a lot smaller than it was today. facebook integration then was a lot better, i could sent facebook messages from the sms app directly, same with google serbices. what happened is those platfo clised their apis.
jolla also cannot do much on camer ba qualith as the limiting factor nowadays is i. ghe aosp layer and the binary drivers tgat oem does not release

I see we are back to the topic of “how Jolla can make things better” instead of “how can we help” (which is the subject of this topic).

So now that we listed all things Jolla can improve, what are the points we can take into account as sailors ?

3 Likes

Yeah, but that’s the point!

A beautiful UI is not enough. Right now I’m giving Jolla (not the UI) 4 out of 10 possible points. Have a look yourself in the forum. Sure, I don’t have all the bugs, but some of them … and have been for years.

How much time and power should we invest? Jolla won’t get out of the niche. It’s a system for tech-savvy people.

2 Likes

You cant get around the fact that those two things are interconnected. The better the os becomes the more people will come. So the only thing that can be done is help with improving the os. Not anyone is a coder though and thats not easy.

1 Like

It’s fine for my needs. i just bought from Volla because they support ubports and ubuntu touch as well and the phone is dead easy to use.

There are ever more companies coming up with alternatives. I’m going to get out of this discussion since I have apps to develope :wink:

2 Likes

My XA2 with the latest update works better now than my husbands iphone 6s. Apart from the fact that Sailfish lacks som important features plus that we cannot get all apps, escpecially not the paid ones.
But you are right, the latest changs in UI were not really an improvement. The way we pick up a call now, the notification screen, they are minor things that do not convince. Sorry Jolla. Overall the UI is still easy and the design is beautiful. Some Sailfish apps are brilliant, like Talefish, the Dutch Welkweer, NedNieuws, Piepmatz, Files and others. And the simple fact that I am not using a Google or Apple phone are a bonus to me. But still waiting for a way to share from browser to Piepmatz, to have a choice in search engines, to be able to add more cloudstorage apps.

3 Likes

Isn’t Facebook a product of Big Tech that tracks us?

1 Like

GPS is a necessity nowadays. Jolla cancelled the Mozilla license. If this is the cause of the failure, can we do something to get it work again? I want to pay, if this helps, but can Jolla be a bit more open on this subject?

2 Likes

When I was a student, back in the days, we managed to lure people into our science seminars with drinks, chocolate and potato chips. So maybe, the community here could do the same?

That translates into more communications and spreading the word (videos on YouTube & co, articles, blog posts, social media, etc.), and by creating apps (even if they’re small or simple), or helping in translation, drawing arts (logos, app design, helping 3rd party apps in these too), etc.

But on the other hand, doing all these voluntarily in our free time, for a for-profit company and an OS which is not fully free software, is not great ethically either. Most people donate their time and skills for a cause, i.e., advancing free software, or helping a charity, or building an ethical alternative to GAFAM/BigTech.
From what I read in the IRC and meeting, one of the main reasons why we’re stuck in an pre-historical QT version is licensing issues because the UI is closed-source.

8 Likes

Community events sound like a great idea once COVID-19 is less of an issue. A chance for random people to see Sailfish in action and try it. Installation help for those who decide to jump on board. Tutorials.

2 Likes

We could do online events also. Not just on IRC/Matrix, but out for general public. Don’t we have any twitch streamers here? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

is ut usable as daily driver ? no
do they have merch ? yes

2 Likes

Only read up to #60 or so but Sailfish is not a mass-market OS and probably never will be. If anything, the the world is heading toward more proprietary services and devices.

Its market is geeks, particularly ones bored with iDroid. This will not provide an income so Jolla’s market is Rostelcom et al.

So what do we want? Developers? More users?

Having a campaign group could work really well.
This could start now, and those shown to be helping the cause given a budget to representing Jolla at tech shows when we go post-COVID.
You’ll need a “champion” at Jolla who will advance your case.

3 Likes

Between 4.01 and MLS Manager, my XA2 GPS is locking within a couple of minutes these days.

1 Like

Thank you ! Finally someone able to keep with the topic’s subject !

I started chatting with bloggers to ask them if they could spread the word or make a blog post about and so it goes with youtubers too !

Yes indeed some might find this ethically wrong, but people lobby for Apple products that suck too :sweat_smile:

I’m going to dive deeper in the IRC logs to see what was discussed regarding the UI (and solutions Jolla found) and the same goes for QT. If nothing has been said about (which would be strange since people complain about it all the time, I’ll ask about it next IRC meeting !

2 Likes

Well just like I said in the opening, bringing users is going to be a tough first step. That’s why I explained my personal reasons for aiming at companies and searching ways to make them develop apps on SFOS.

For the campaign group part that would be cool indeed ! Do you have an idea of what first steps the “group” could take ? (in covid area and outside)

1 Like

Start a group., Find a way to communicate with them (fix Slack client?) After initial enthusiasm, you’ll need something to keep it ticking over. You’ll need a Wiki or similar for new people…

If you’re not going to lead it, you’ll need to find a leader.

Think about scope. To me, the community looks a bit scattered and probably feels unsupported. The group could work in a semi-official capacity doing the neglected private user side of Jolla’s business.

We could do with something like developer liaison. Clarifying developer needs, feeding back from Jolla, keeping track of their ‘holidays’. :upside_down_face:

Then, when you know what you want to do, ask Jolla to appoint a liaison.

4 Likes

Here’s a short story of my attempt to make a small contribution. There’s a decent and maintained native browser for Aurora OS. I requested the developer to make it available for Sailfish X; my request was ignored. I suggested that Jolla could make such a request as a corporate entity (which gives it more weight), bot no one seems to care. I’d expect the same attitude from all other developers for Aurora, although there’s a number of useful apps (including Office) which could be shared with private customers. Neh, I’ve had enough of me of knocking in the closed doors.

As for ‘spreading the word’, many of my friends make fun of me when they see me struggling with my phone, when I’m trying to do some basic tasks: opening a webpage in a browser, ordering a taxi, trying to use navigation, this always “sorry, my whatsapp hang after I finished the call”. They’d see my advocating a switch to Sailfish as rather ridiculous and pathetic, because the user experience they see is a perfect anti-ad.

If you’re a blogger you can dedicate a part of your blog to spread information that Sailfish option exists. If 10 users can bring another new user, I’d consider it already a good achievement. Jolla support team would hate you for bringing another pack of newbies though, I guess.

9 Likes

Good luck. I don’t waste time on phones anymore. Life is short.

2 Likes