[Strategies] Bringing more sailors to SFOS

Back to the topic:
In my opinion it would help if typical IT magazines were to report on a new SFOS release. This would reach a relatively large number of readers, who would initially also represent a suitable target group. Thus more people would read something about SFOS and possibly also deal with it.

4 Likes

Jolla have the best Android compatibility in history. Why would I handicap myself by not using it?

I honestly don’t care about purity. I just want a phone that works, that isn’t ugly, that isn’t literally based on spyware and doesn’t cost roughly double what it’s worth.

Last time I was in the mountains, after 30 mins without GPS the phone did reboot and a miracle happened. After reboot, the fix was in less than 5 seconds!

That sounds like the bug I was having c .4.01. I’m pretty sure it got fixed around 4.4

I mean if there’s patch and it does fix the problem, why it’s still not part of the system?

Because it tells Google where you are. Now I’d happily advocate for its inclusion anywa: Sailfish should work out of the box. As you indicate, dysfunctional GPS can be a nightmare. I think it made me miss a train once. I nearly missed a date as well with the best looking woman I know. The stress it causes is itself is a major issue.

Ideally, it would be an option which warns you.

I don’t know why you’re having SMS problems. It’s only you as far as I know.

@ Seven.of.nine

Could this difference simply be because SF’s data is wiped on reboot? Also, both phones would have to have got the last lock at the same time. Ephemeris changes and gets more out of sync by the day.

We can get SF releases highlighted on Slashdot. It’s a small audience but it’s definitely a pro-Linux, pro-hacky audience.
But this comes down to the community and community leadership again. We need an advocacy group which might as well be the Jolla liaison group (via a Community Manager).

1 Like

because it’s Android. You want to use it - fine, there’s plenty of phones with that things. No need to make another one.

sorry but SFOS is not the right thing to use, not yet there.

to bad it’s still there with 4.4.0.64 didn’t test yet with 4.4.0.72

oh, so then it’s not a fix.

well I think someone else also mention that. What’s interesting is that it seems that only the first sms for the new person fails. If i send another one - it works. Odd.

you need first to get mature system. You want to constantly make pink eyes because something is not working? It would cause then even more harm than it should.

@David

The Volla was freshly rebootet and on the Sony last usage of GPS was weeks ago.

Before Jolla fixed a X10’s bug months or a year ago, the Sony needed 5-10 minutes to position fix.

I’m using SFOS on X10 and with 4.4.0.46 the problem with GPS is there.

@lolek Update is worth it, GPS works now fine on X10 since version update something between 64, 68,… Now we have 72 and GPS works. A lot of bugs were fixed since 46.

1 Like

.64 release was in march. Now it’s .72
I was playing with GPS this year so it was .64 most probably. I didn’t test on .72 yet with GPS, I didn’t need it, but I’ll do of course. Keep in mind that I do already have .72 for quite some time.

@lolek , you wrote this:

therefore I wrote my answer. Now I see that ‘46’ was maybe a typo…

I tested again on X10 and this time it really needed 10 minutes to position fix. Receiving conditions the same as always and 20 satellites visible in the end. Volla needed 5 seconds while testing in parallel at the same time and place, 1 meter beside the Sony. Shame on Sony!

edit: and the displayed altitude is wrong!!! Shame shame shame on Sony!

well it was posted here many times that other manufacturers should be considered. But instead the explanation was - no, because Open Device Program. Yeah, we see how it works. Show me at least one SFOS device running on Sony that doesn’t have problems. And I’m talking about real problems.
Hint: go to Known Issues after each SFOS release.

I agree, @lolek , and I’m a sailor since winter/spring 2019 (XA2), and since winter 2020 on X10, so I know what’s going on.

edit: and shame on me for not testing again before writing nonsense about X10’s GPS (it would work fine although it does not) .

I don’t want to go on auction but I started with Xperia X, long time ago. Then I give up because browser was useless and there was no encryption. I bought X10 because these two things are finally there.
The browser is usable, the encryption is just checked on the check list but it’s weak let’s see what Jolla will say on the community meeting. Other things that I thought will be changed from the X days are almost in the same condition. BT still require terminal to pair with car which is a joke. And it’s been few years since I was using X. Here my profile on old forum, posts from 2018 is when I had Xperia X. And it seems there’s still no way of typing DTMF wait code.

1 Like

Inside a building GPS still takes to much time to get a fix. Even at a window it takes several minutes (with 10 III). And the bug that starting to get a GPS fix just happens when an app asks for GPS data is also worse. So GPS has much room for improvement, especially on XA2, but also on 10 III.

1 Like

Jolla will surely say, this is not a bug, it’s a feature… I think this was made for saving battery power. In earlier times, it was exactly the way as you (and I) want it. But Jolla changed it some time ago to the present dissatisfying state.

I hope and assume, there’s a way to tweak some config file to change the behavior of the upper menu positioning setting in a way that GPS immediately starts working also without a running app asking for the position data. I will start a thread to this issue.

I thought about bringing this up in a community meeting. My main problem with that is just that this always happens while at work and I can’t participate…
If it’s a faeture not a bug then it scould be left to the user to decide how the device should behave.

Yes, therefore I want to find a way to change this setting’s behavior in the config files.

we are, once again, deviating from the topic of discussion. This discussion is not about what Jolla could improve regarding SFOS but what can we do on our side.

Yes, despite the problems we face
Yes, despite it not being attractive to the 10 yo tiktok iphone user who needs the latest and greatest feature
Yes, despite X or Y reason

If your strategy is to create apps/libraries/porting, great !
If your strategy is to talk about it with your friends/on your blog/at your company or with other companies, awesome ! (Yes, even if it’s not perfect, nothing is)
If your strategy is to make bug reports, stupendous !
If your strategy is to help translating the OS/the apps to Klingon, marvelous !

Please keep this thread on the strategies you, or maybe someone else you know that’s not on the forum, are doing to promote SFOS or maybe ideas around it. For example some strategy others used to promote an other open source project (i beg you not to comment “but SFOS is not completely open source”).

I recently added to my portfolio of strategies, not using new apps that don’t have an API or are Open source.
For example, my friends and I were going on a trip together, instead of communicating with our “AirBnb kinda” host through whatsapp, I said we did not have whatsapp and had to use signal or telegram. Whatsapp is a very common professional mean of communication in some countries (b2c).

The same applies to new people I meet. When sharing contact details I don’t mention whatsapp (which I have) but other apps I can use natively on Sailfish. If the person says it does not have either or only whatsapp I can use a variety of excuses like “I’ve been banned” or “does not work in my country”.

In the first situation, as a customer, I’m in a position of power, so my interlocutor is more prone to install an other app.

1 Like

Critically, when the signal is weak , it will never get a fix no matter how long it is left.

Also when the Android X10iii (in flight mode so offline) has recently had lock outside, it can quickly regain lock inside.
The SF version can’t

To belaour the point: the Andoid X10ii has no internet connection, but the GPS gets lock inside, and re-locks.

An other strategy I would find nice, but am in no position of doing, is designing icons for apps. We have a lot of new apps and sometime, the dev has no “artistic gift” (me). I’d love to see someone suggesting free designs for app icons. Or, if you are learning/teaching such things, talk about with your students/comrades for some hands on experience

5 Likes

lol, I’m just saying I’m not accepting their privacy policy and if so, here’s my mail and sms. These always work.

And again, another colleague. Proposed him usage of SFOS he asked how’s the encryption status right now. As usually I told hi the truth, he replied - ok, so this is yet not usable. I won’t use any bank app on a device without encryption.

My favorite excuse is telling the truth - I don’t want my data collected - that way I don’t have to remember which lie I told whom.

4 Likes