Status of German locale for 4.2.0: Time shortage

Just a heads up: Currently I don’t have time on my hands to do any translations. I should be able to review translations though.

If you’ve got translations pending review, please post it here so I can have a look now and then.

Maybe someone wants to step up as second coordinator (if that’s possible, @sledges) and give me a hand.

Thanks and happy sailing

1 Like

I have tried to get rid of some if the "Sie"s I could find. I understand we want dus everywhere, including App descriptions. Please review.

https://translate.sailfishos.org/de/translate/#search=Sie&sfields=target&soptions=exact

1 Like

Should the translations now be in “du” or “Sie” form of address?

edit: Now I wanted to contribute to the translations and set filter to display only “untranslated”, but got many (36) strings displayed as “untranslated”, but a lot of them have really good user suggestions displayed below the translation input field.

So why “untranslated”?

Suggestions don’t count as translations, they have to be accepted first.

1 Like

Multiple coordinators are always possible and welcome if they are willing to help each other out in their duties.

Style guide says “du”: https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Language_Style_-_German#Person

Style guide updates are here (will be merged at some point): [German locale]: A new style guide

1 Like

Thank you @sledges !

Found typing errors on the page
https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Language_Style_-_German#Person:

Voice: * Incorrect: Die Kontoeinstellungen un di in … festgelegt.
“un di” is nonsense in German, I assume a typing error.

Mood: Correct: Verwend du hierzu das Menü „Einstellungen“
Is very bad German, should be Verwende hierzu das Menü „Einstellungen“

3 Likes

Thanks guys! I managed to review a bunch of strings today.

Should anybody want to board the German ‘linguist jollyboat’, please make sure to have read the two style guides sledges has linked above.

it’s good to pay attention to these aspects when translating:

• On Pootle (translate.sailfish.org), we’re translating ‘out of context’ since we don’t see the strings in action.
    Thus having a look at the context line and comments of the source string provided by Pootle helps translations to be more precise. There are more elaborate descriptions about the context and purpose for many existing strings. For newer ones they’ve become rare though
  • Be careful with ‘invisible’ infinitives! For example: 'Call' can mean both „Anruf” and „anrufen” depending on context
  • unless a string has an obvious error or is unnecessarily long-winded, try not to change existing translations (e.g. minor wording changes).
    Discussing choice of words and style improvements is easier here on FSO. Discussing taste not so much but still this would be the place :wink:

btw. @sledges: Can community members get access to the l10n wiki pages in order to keep these pages up to date and fix issues such as @Seven.of.nine has spotted?

3 Likes

Good news: Translations are complete.
Thanks to all the other translators for their help!

3 Likes

Soo, there are still a couple of those left, AFAICS all have Suggestions to change Sie to Du but they are not accepted yet.

Can we use the 4.4 round to get rid of the Sies?

https://translate.sailfishos.org/de/translate/#search=Sie&sfields=target&soptions=exact

1 Like

Du is imho much more friendly.

It’s not up for debate anymore, anyways :wink:

Thanks for the hint.Defnitely!
I suspect machine translation is the culprit here (I’m looking at you @ sledges :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: actually it was reviewed by @jahonen)

@maus: Please don’t capitalize Du amidst a sentence :wink:

Oh well … my excuse is: I am really that old … sorry for this one!

No excuse needed. Things just go out of fashion. (only to come back a bit later again. I love that quote of Oscar Wilde: »Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.«)

3 Likes

Oh my. That’s a whole lot of old cruft…

So «Ihr» to address people would not be a reasonable suggestion? :wink:

medieval edition of SFOS :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, my mistake with reviewing…

Br,

Jarkko

„Versendet Kurzdepeschen und Daguerreotypien vermittels Eures Fernsprechapparates” :smiley:

7 Likes

Oh, I guess I would switch from EN_en to DE_os (old style) immediately :smiley:

1 Like