Starting VPN clears contextkit key values

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3.0.12
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2 Plus Dual SIM
UI LANGUAGE:en_GB
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Probably not

DESCRIPTION:

As soon as I activate VPN, keys like Internet.NetworkType and Internet.NetworkState (provided by org.freedesktop.contextkit) become empty, no longer containing values like “WLAN” and “connected”. I can’t imagine this is by design, as I am still connected to Internet and using my WLAN or GPRS connection and the connectivity itself is fine. I am facing this in my app WelkWeer | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System for example, which checks for an internet connection this way.

PRECONDITIONS:

VPN active

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Start VPN connection
  2. Check for contextkit key values, WelkWeer | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System can be a testcase (Dutch “geen internet connectie” popup message at start, without VPN no error message displayed)

EXPECTED RESULT:

Keys like Internet.NetworkState should return “connected”, not an empty value

ACTUAL RESULT:

Networkstate of networktype info is no longer available

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I am (successfully) connecting to an OpenVPN server located at my home, tested using wireless and cellular.

Unfortunately not fixed in the 4.4 release.

This appears to be a regression compared to SFOS 3.4.0.24. On 3.4, the values don’t change at all when connecting to a VPN.

(I cannot test it on 4.x or with a mobile connection.)

EDIT: System.WlanEnabled and System.InternetEnabled always stay false, though.

Thanks for the report @adekker, and the additional info @ichthyosaurus. I’ve created an internal bug about this and tagged it as “tracked”.

2 Likes

Sorry that it has taken so long to address the issue but this change takes care of this reported issue and is going to be part of next release.

1 Like

Great, can’t wait to test it and mark this as resolved!

1 Like