Space bar narrow width is making me want to switch to Android

In en.qml and de.qml SpacebarRow is empty. My question was wether I have to define the complete row or just the two keys.

Oh I see, indeed no details in the space bar.

You can either, enter all the spacebar details as in my “improved layouts”, or modify the enter and symbol keys qml, like the wider spacebar patch.

5 Likes

Thanks @orangecat orangecat, this is the “cleanest” solution!

1 Like

or modify the enter and symbol keys qml, like the wider spacebar patch .

I ended up using this solution, and it works excellent for preventing so many typos, although this kind of “patch the source” work is of course a bit clunky.
There used to be a couple of Patchmanager things to do this, but it seems their originators haven’t updated them for later SFOS releases.

pretty soon you’ll be able to switch to FOSS nemo on manjaro base:

4 Likes

Any way to get Presage working with your layouts?

No idea :frowning: my layouts are modified and updated files from the default Qml files of Jolla’s layouts.
Might be possible but I never used presage.

Ok, I’ll have a look at what the presage layouts might permit. Thanks!

I can confirm the wider spacebar patch also works just as well with SFOS 4.2.0.19

And also on SFOS 4.2.0.21

I wonder what kind of anatomical oddity it is which allows certain people use about 26 letter keys with no issue (each about 1/3 size of a space bar) and then prevents them hitting the (3x wider) space bar reliably. I do understand why I sometimes hit the wide space bar instead of the regular-width “/” and “.” located around, but how the opposite could happen is a question to me. Just thinking loudly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Probably has to do with muscle memory from previous phones and also possibly the computer keyboards, where the spacebar is something like 12x wide. I can see right now when typing, I’m consistently hitting spacebar near the right edge, which is consistent with missing it on Jolla’s idea of “unnaturally” short spacebar.

Happens to me every time. Srsly.

There is another very convenient solution around. Look for keyboard with arrows on openrepos. Many of them feature a wider spacebar.

And also for SFOS 4.3.0.12 (Suomenlinna).

2 Likes

I’m happy to report this patch still works well for SFOS 4.4.0.58 (Vanha Rauma).

6 Likes

With the latest Sailfish OS 4.4.0.68 update we’ve widened the space bar following all of your input here and elsewhere. It’s a small change, but hopefully one that will improve typing accuracy without the need now to install patches.

15 Likes

Is it better now? Please keep on providing your valuable feedback.

3 Likes

Much better. Thanks.

4 Likes

It’s a lot better!

Thanks for the update!

4 Likes