Sony Xperia 10 V - First impressions

I could imagine many users may prefer native apps where available but are falling back to Android apps when there is no other alternative.
I don’t see anything bad with being able to launch the 2-3 Android apps that sometimes make things more convenient but at the same time to avoid having to deal with Android as much as possible.

7 Likes

i agree.

however, my adherence to my principles does not supercede my desire to maintain communication with friends and family.

6 Likes

There used to be native Whatsapp and Facebook apps for Sailfish, but anyways.

I’m well aware my user case is “wrong” when I rely on Android apps beyond what’s more or less necessary, but… it really shouldn’t be black or white issue. On a previous device I used to have Google Play store and whatsthemgooglethings installed (like I would on an Android device), the day before yesterday I cursed when a banking app looked like it was forcing me to install Chrome (it didn’t in the end). I evolve, like, and I’d like to think every little bit helps when you’re looking to de-googlefying yourself even if you didn’t make yourself disappear from their maps altogether. The hackability is a fun thing to me, and I really would like to see the ISODrive app return from its deprecation because I still keep my Aqua Fish around for that app alone.

But as the main thing, any Android lite user willing to pay for a Sailfish license shouldn’t be looked upon as a bad thing.

That being said, excellent post and you’re not wrong.

1 Like

Most of my family and friends are using Whatsapp. Anyway, I’m still in contact with them. And yes it took some time until they got, that I will not use it. But nobody had at no time the idea to give up our friendship for that reason and there are enough posibiliies to stay in contact. And nowadays, some of them has given up Whatsap as well, even so just a few of them.

2 Likes

I did already state my worry that 10 V might not be available to buy at the time AppSupport is ready. 10 IV has already disappeared from the markets (and I’m going to miss the colorful led). In the circumstances this is the best course of action, but it’s still not optimal. Wish it was a less imperfect world.

2 Likes

good for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one you often don’t control. For now I don’t check professional emails on my personal device, but I might not be able to do that always.

Also, for now I can use SailOTP to log into a MS work account, but I anticipate Microsoft to one day mandate the use of its own authenticator, and then I won’t have a choice, I’ll need AppSupport for the phone to be useful.

3 Likes

I also think of getting a 10 V - but it’s not missing App Support that makes me worry, it’s the point that there always have been problems with GPS and the Camera Api with the previous models. But up to now there also was no official announcement, right?
(reminds me that blog.jolla.com needs an update too…)

Jolla mentioned that AppSupport needs small improvments. Somebody wrote about 3 months. Jolla want publish Sauna and start the official support for new devices because so They will get more money for the company.

I don’t remember things going to this direction.
What I remember Mark being excited about was an alternative OS focusing on

1. Gesture navigation and easy one handed use
  2. Great for multitasking
  3. A device with endless possibilities (other half)
  4. And android app support so that people won’t miss anything because a mobile OS without all modern apps would have been DOA

Privacy and system customization is also great, but that was a bonus, not the main selling point of the device and the OS.
At least that’s what I understood and that’s what I remember.

The problem now (unfortunately) is that everyone caught up, surpassed or rendered obsolete all the above.
The only thing that keeps sailfish relevant outside of our small group here (and not everyone here ofc) is that it supports android apps.
Does it really matter if the app you need to use is an authenticator, a bank app, a game, anything else or everything? App support (and waydroid mostly in community ports) is still one of the most important features in sailfish.

7 Likes

Actually predictive text is canceled for newer licenses (for now at least) and for me exchange is also broken.
Maybe get the license after app support is available? Or get it instantly and wait? Up to you!

3 Likes

I have my “FIRST ONE” still here. So I can remember what marketing promising were made at this time. But coming from a N900, this was already at this time mainly marketing in my eyes.
Anyway I only described what feelings I have if one is using SF this way. But that’s my very personal view. And the last thing I want to do, is to tell other people what to do or not.

3 Likes

Then look a litter farther forward and enjoy your new phone, when the time has come.

1 Like