Sony Xperia 10 II vs III

It might not sound like a lot, but when it is 50% more, that’s significant.

While ARM CPUs are RISC, you still can’t just make such a simplistic cores-time-gigahertz comparison given how much fancy pipelining, power management etc happens nowadays.

2 Likes

This is my last week RAM usage statistics

That side compare many hardware aspects and those are sensible relevant, I shown here. However, I might be overlook something and you can find out in that site. From a commercial point of view the biggest difference is the 5G, as long as the battery drain issues is properly addressed.

What do you mean 120fps? 10 III has a 60Hz display.
I don’t know how current you are with smartphone specs, especially since you mentioned android, but 4GB ram was not enough even 5 years ago, while today 8 to 12 is the norm.

On sailfish on the other hand, at least on the latest version, even 6 on the 10 III are not enough.

1 Like

Even the Xperia 10 V has still 60FPS. Just like the Speria 10 III.

2 Likes

My stats said the opposite. Just tell me which tasks need so much RAM. Tasks that you have to execute on your on smartphone on the moment because you cannot wait to reach your laptop and transfer the data you need to elaborate.

Display 60Hz, Touchscreen 120Hz. Asia and EU specs are the same.

Yes, you are right.

That is a funny way of comparing…

The important parts I think is:
Bluetooth 5.0 vs 5.1
Screen-to-body: 77.54% vs 79.70%
RAM: 4GB vs 6GB
Battery: 3600 mAh vs 4500 mAh
Cellular: 1-4G support vs 1-5G support
GPS: 10 II does not support Galileo 10 III does

10 III 10 II
AnTuTu: 286216 (v8) AnTuTu: 196545 (v8)
GeekBench: 1738 (v5.1) GeekBench: 1413 (v5.1)
GFXBench: 12fps (ES 3.1 onscreen) GFXBench: 5.6fps (ES 3.1 onscreen)
5 Likes

Why these features are relavant?

Xperia 10 Plus supports Galileo navigation

One of the aims of Galileo is to provide an independent high-precision positioning system so European political and military authorities do not have to rely on the US GPS, or the Russian GLONASS systems, which could be disabled or degraded by their operators at any time.

The Galileo system has a greater accuracy than GPS, having an accuracy of less than 1 m when using broadcast ephemeris (GPS: 3 m)

Since May 2000 the same precision signal has been provided to both civilians and the military.

Does it have to be relevant to you only?
What does Xperia 10 plus have to do with 10 II and III?

Well, I am in Europe. Galileo is better than GPS here. The screen to body is nice, less edges to look at :slight_smile: And Bluetooth… well a higher number is nice to have… More features.

Galielo navigation is a very interesting feature which X10II is missing but everything else is a matter of personal taste. Also, 5G is quite a matter of taste and mostly a commercial hype.

Just tell me which tasks need so much RAM

Ah so you haven’t found Low memory, apps crashing - change zram settings or add swapfile? [4.x] yet?

Browser and a core set of Android business apps (email, Slack) alone absolutely murders 4 GB (really 3.5, minus GPU allocation).

It’s a miserable experience, and having now extensively tested zram and filesystem swap ideas, I can say there is no solution, other than 8+ GB physical RAM.

4 Likes

I have found 4 answers that seem promising

Unfortunately, you are reported that no one of them is working. I wish to point out that an Xperia 10 II refurbished would cost between €120 and €240. While a Xperia 1 II with 8GB is about €400 and Xperia 1 III with 12Gb is over €500. It is a huge difference in price.

IMHO, swap on internal SSD disk is the best way to destroy your deive storage capability with the solely result that after some time (may be one year) your smartphone is degraded to a piece of junk because when the internal SSD lacks of fail-back blocks, it is dead also and expecially in performances. This could explain your experience.

The 90-95% of zram of the available CPU RAM (the let after GPU took its part) is the only long-term solution about RAM scarcity on cheap devices. Well, not so cheap because with a less than €300, I have bought a brand new A52s with 8GB at the beginning of 2022.

Well, missing… I do not know… I have applied a PM patch that load XTRA v3 almanac into the Qualcomm modem/GPS and I can see the Galileo constellation. Using them, probably is another story. Moreover, having the global full almanac loaded into GPS, it can show to me anything recorded into it - but - this app is showing me also the signal strenght not just a dot on a sky map…

Uh i’m in europe too, and never been connected to a single galileo, i connect generally to 50% gps, 49% glonass and maybe one single time to a beidu satellite

Saw galileo often but never connected to…

This is quite interesting because it means that despite its investment (€10bn) and its technology the Galileo constellation is useless mainly because geopolitically speaking the Europe has no negotiation power enought compared to USA, Russia and Chine. This despite being a prosperous market with its own fiat-currency and 400mln of people living. It sounds like a sad story. Therefore under the PoV of functionality having the Galileo system available on the phone can be useless but under the PoV of a memento, it is very important to us.

Does sailfish os support Galileo at all? Or is this strictly a hardware feature?

As far as, I saw it a firmware feature. Considering how this feature is working:

# this is modify for xtra Donwload interval
# only valid for mobile network data
# XTRA_INTERVAL = 86400

I reach the conclusion that X10II Qualcomm modem/GPS is delivered without the XTRA almanac and related feature to even see Galileo constellation. When the v3 is loaded into the modem/GPS then the Galileo constellation shows up.

Techically speaking for everyone that is living and working in Europe, the Galileo constellation is granting the ability to drive and sail in a secure non degradable GPS assisted way. Reading the wikipedia, it is clear that - about GPS systems - geopolitical equilibrium are more important that the service itself and thus Galileo is a part of space-defence system even if it is available undegraded for civilian usage.

Under the PoV for which a indipendent OS for mobile devices aims to grant people as much as possible their rights of free citizens - supporting the Galileo GPS system is an ethical decision even in the case Galileo constellation would be - in this particular era - not useful for everyday living

Therefore making it working would be great but in case it would not feasible for constrains and limitations beyond our sphere of influence, then it is an important memento to have in view.

1 Like

I would say it’s supported, since galileos are shown on the list of satellites…

2 Likes

I agree, the X10II hardware can support Galileo constellation as far as the firmware is set to see them.

Satellite Systems: GLONASS, Beidou, SBAS, GPS, QZSS, Galileo

1 Like

The OS does not know about the GNSS receiver except what it outputs via NMEA sentences.
Anyway, I saw Galileo satellites being used on the X10 III (they are the ones numbered 3xx IIRC).