Song, artist, radio station etc not displaying on car stereo when using music apps

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): Always
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 3.4.0.24
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Sony Xperia 10 Plus Dual SIM
UI LANGUAGE: Sailfish OS 3.4
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Only tested in latest version

DESCRIPTION:

No songs, artists, track, radio station is shown on car stereo in my Ford Mondeo MK4 - Hatchback.

However when testing using my Google Pixel 3a XL using Android 11 it works fine not matter what the music app was in use.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Connect mobile as above to car stereo
  2. open a music app when directly or via Waze
  3. No information is fed back to the car stereo head unit when set to aux

EXPECTED RESULT:

Should be displaying what is playing etc

ACTUAL RESULT:

No information is displayed

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

This is connection via Bluetooth right??

This has been working with SFOS 1.x, but has been lost with 2.x. I guess it won’t get some developer love until they decide to drop support for bluez4 devices, if at all.

This has actually been working for apps that communicate directly with the Bluez, such as the default Sailfish music app. However, we recently decided to enable the long-requested mpris-proxy of Bluez5 to forward MPRIS commands and status over Bluetooth, at least until we come up with a more reliable solution. This should be in the next release.

At least on a suzuki IVI that i connect my phone to i wasn’t able to see any info about the song playing. Android phones work.

Install BTtons, start proxy and try again.

Thanks for the info, but where is BTtons from ice checked Aptoide, Jolla and Android store?

Yes Bluetooth. I even had 2 devices paired to car stereo using TuneIn via Waze switched Bluetooth to either phone the android device shows what’s playing time elapsed etc… Then switch to Sony usi g sailfish and nothing is displayed apart from a default Track message. Still this is why I love new software it’s a challenge every day!

BTtons from OpenRepos: https://openrepos.net/content/velox/bttons
You can use Warehouse to install BTtons, https://openrepos.net/content/basil/warehouse

Thanks for the feedback, really useful will try that tomorrow.

I tried using BTtons and opened it got it started and it recognised my car audio playing as connected.

Then tried native music Sailfish apps like the generic music player in media or S’Play from the Jolla store then Android apps like TuneIn via the Android stores and none fed back information of the song, station, time elapsed etc.

I have noticed that another user confirmed it isn’t working on the Sony Xperia 10 so must be still an issue for these phones but thought I would give it a try.

I have Xperia 10 and it works. Did you start the proxy?

Yes started the proxy on the BTtons app on my Xperia 10 Plus Dual SIM then tested native Sailfish music apps and Android none displayed any information. It could also be the stereo bit my Pixel works fine.

I have now finally got this working in my car stereo. What I did was the following:

I firstly re-installed Stock Android 9 on my Sony Xperia 10 Plus for a while.
Then installed Sailfish OS X (latest version 3.4.0.24)
Installed BTtons via Storeman
Now working and showing music information whether using music apps directly or via map apps like Waze etc.

As a sidenote: I originally upgraded from Android 9 > Sailfish OS X 3.3.0.16 > Sailfish OS X 3.4.0.24 but hit issues. So going from Android 9 > Sailfish OS 3.4.0.24 solves the problem.

1 Like

I tested briefly on the car stereo and it worked ONCE. But with no sound. Next time i connected to it i got no info but i got sound.