So long, and thanks for all the fish

I am an simple SFOS user, Have no clou about programming. But two years ago I decided to take back control and installed Linux instead of Windows and SFOS instead of Windows Phone. But even as a "normal " user I agree that having control is a value of its own. I like it and I am happy that SFOS exists. And I like very much this community which gives me the impression that a lot of people take care of the development. I am glad that all of you are out there and further support SFOS. Having achoice is important and makes a huge difference!

12 Likes

I have an iPhone and it drives me crazy. It fails quite often - calender is always off - I cannot handle files like I want to, the Email client lacks a decent interface and generates Emails in a format that causes problems a the recieverā€™s side (unless the also use an iPhone). Without network the iPhone is completly useless.

I lost all data on the iPhone because the virtual keyboard disappeared so I was unable to enter the password. Not even Apple could do anything about it but simply replacing the phone by a new one.

Listening high quality music is also not possible from the iPhone because there is no way (at least none that I know) to have the music raw data read and processed by a decent converter and amplifier.

Therefore I only rarely use the iPhone (about once or twice a month for about ten minutes) and I am happy that I have Sailfish.

Maybe I should be more interessted in indie games to get any use from the iPhone ā€¦ (@Kea: thanks for the hint)

@grahamcobb: you are right, what worries me too is that there appears to be less and less development for SFOS, the community still is way to small and for some basic tasks I have to use der Android Apps. So far, I am happy that all of them are running with SFOS Andrios support.

8 Likes

Iā€™m one of those returning back to SailfishOS. After nine months in Android-land I am done, and coming back home :slight_smile:

The reason for leaving SailfishOS in the first place was near-fatal structural damage to my Xperia X, and to a degree, the lack of banking apps that were available on Android.

Now Iā€™ve got a Xperia XA2 waiting to recieve SailfishOS 3.4 when itā€™s ready. Whee! Iā€™m looking forward to writing scripts again, having ssh and cron and all the possibilities they bring. And banking and stuff via better Android support.

A big thank you to Jolla and everyone in the community :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Well, I myself do not think the developments have been bad, in many ways it is better to live in an environment that does not attract the attention of crap peddlersā€¦ :slight_smile:

Anyways, see ya in the Restaurant at the End of the Universe some day!

4 Likes

The apple devices are like a pipe-run 1st person shoot game, very nice and reactive when you run in the correct direction which is good for 90% of people, but impossible to work with of you want to do something Jobs&CO. did not anticipate or want you to doā€¦ :frowning:

7 Likes

I still use my J1 as daily driver but use an iPhone for apps like FB live and other social activities.
I am not sure I could completely let it go. I tried to upload an mp3 to my iphone from OneDrive and nope! Canā€™t do that to the Music app without additional software

I am wanting to upgrade to an Xperia 10 plus and am curious does the android layer fully support all FB functions like live and Instagram stories?

1 Like

I donā€™t remember when I first heared or read about Jolla, but I finally started with the tablet campaign. I never wanted Android, and as iPhone sucked I changed to Windows Phone. The death of Windows Phones brought me back to Apple, but after the Windows experience I was no longer able to live in the golden cage and switched to Android as main phone. Iā€™d be happy to use Sailfish OS as a daily driver, there are still too much things that donā€™t fulfill my needsā€¦ Battery life and camera are still bad, and other things like missings tasks app with sync show the gaps in standard features Sailfish OS still has compared to other systems.
Nevertheless this year had been a good one so far. For the first time ever OneDrive works in gallery since 3.4, Nextcloud features came with 3.3 and were improved with 3.4. So I really hope to see some further improvements in the near future, and as well some more supported devices, hopefully not only from the low specs range.
To finally get rid of Apple and most Google stuff I thought about using a Two-Phone variant like some mened before above - using my XA2 with Sailfish as main phone and keeping the Lumia 950 as cameraā€¦

So I understand why people leave Sailfish Os cause of its lacks - but hope dies lastā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

I am kinda pis*ed off too. Because if I want to pay with my card somewhere on the internet, I have to confirm payment via bank app, which is not working anymore on SFOS because Jolla cut off android support on Xperia X. So I have device capable running android 8, but can run only apps for 4.4. Bank app needs newer SDK i cant put in my phone :frowning:

2 Likes

i do my banking on my laptop, i would never do banking on my phone.
just too easy to get lost and the display is nowadays also too tiny :slight_smile:

however regarding apps:
i think you should be pissed at the android developers that are using play-services-api rather then to be pissed at jolla

4 Likes

So many times this! I donā€™t know why it is required for a banking app to be connected through the play services in the first place, other than Google monitoring the app. They call it security for the apps, I call it scrutiny for the user.

6 Likes

I understand you. However, at least with LineageOS, it seems that you can install a full functioning play store and so there shouldnā€™t be any apps to miss? I prefer Aurora in anonymous mode, but I have decided to shift to LOS, myself. The latest upgrades have done nothing to address the GPS problem on the XA2 and I simply cannot use a phone without a working GPS. I am sad to go, but the developers seem not to care about this issue.

Afaik the problem here seem to be aliendalvik still depending on Android 4.4. Some banking Apps work under Aliendalvik. It would be nice if Jolla ever would explain why the Xperia X doesnā€™t receive the Aliendalvik updates for the XA2 and Xperia 10.
Probably itā€™s about the fact than no one would pay for a Xperia X license anymore, so no commercial benefit for Jolla.
I knw itā€™s the elephant in the room but maybe Jolla should really go over to a subscription-based support model, where you pay 5ā‚¬/month or 50ā‚¬/year. Iā€™m pretty sure even though lots of people here hate subscriptions, they would like the result.

1 Like

I think they stated it in a meeting once, that theyā€™d have to redo the complete adaptation for the Xperia X to get it to newer versions and simply donā€™t have the manpower for it.

4 Likes

I donā€™t have Aliendalvik on my X installed (only at my XA2), but afaik Xperia X ships with a real reimplementation of dalvik, while the XA2 and 10 have something LXC-based with AOSP in it. Itā€™s obvious that they donā€™t want to do that and rather update the new LXC-aliendalvik when they only get money from selling devices where LXC-aliendalvik is already onbaord.
If Jolla would have a fair subscription model 5ā‚¬/month, they probably could afford more devs working on the support of the X and various other issues.

2 Likes

Itā€™s funny, I had to order an iPhone for the new LIDAR for work, and I decided to use it for a month to try it out as an alternative to Sailfish. I only lasted 3 weeks! The straw that broke the camels back was checking my ā€˜Screen timeā€™ and seeing that I was apparently using the phone 24 hours a day. I looked into what was causing that, and found that there was a process called ā€˜com.Amazon.amazonā€™ running in the background. I have never installed anything from Amazon, one time I had visited the website to check a book title. It was infuriating, I couldnā€™t even kill this process!
I moved back to Sailfish and have never appreciated it so much. Not just the fact that I control what is running, not just that I can kill a process if I want, but also that Sailfish is really polished and reliable in comparison. iOS was not really that great. It had weird stupid bugs in the UI, it was unstable (apps would freeze regularly, and have to be killed and restarted, this was on the iPhone 12 Max pro with the latest iOS).
And it was an attention whore, constant default notifications popping up. The Apple reminder to SETUP APPLE PAY was literally impossible to get rid of until a set number of dismissals. Itā€™s a patronising, attention-sapping OS.
After that experience I really donā€™t see any alternatives to Sailfish. Android is dreck, and iOS is Fischer Price.

*Oh yeah, no Syncthing on iOS. Talk about a game-changer. Syncthing on Sailfish is one of those things that is so powerful and effortlessly wonderful that having to go back to not having it is just impossible. Itā€™s the seamless transitioning between every single computer I own and this phone, going back to other syncing solutions feels like going back to Windows 95.

12 Likes

I used an iPhone before I moved to SailfishOS and TO will sooner or later find out that he has to opt-out their analytics and various points in the settings.

But I think all this Android and iOS bashing wonā€™t help anyone here, instead we should think about thinks we like on SailfihOS and what we could do better in SFOS / what are Android/iOS already doing better.

3 Likes

There is just one major issue, and thatā€™s running Android apps well (imho). If Maps with GPS, and Bank ID apps, functioned as well as Spotify/Signal do, then it would be perfect. Or having some decent Open alternatives, but that seems impossible.

Also if there was an option for a waterproof phone. Thatā€™s the final hardware leap.

Sony Xperia 10 II is IP65/IP68 dust/water resistant.

3 Likes

I think one thing Jolla could promote when going subscription based is that theyā€™ll have one Dev working on Magisk Hide integration. But maybe thatā€™s a legal issue.

1 Like

No, there is no problem with that app needs google play - it worked without it.problem is that new app versions dont support android 4.4 anymore.