SMS application sometimes goes blank when switching to landscape mode

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): random, I’d guess 5-10%
BUILD ID: 3.3.0.16
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Jolla1, Xperia X, Xperia 10
UI LANGUAGE: English, Slovenian
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): been happening since Jolla1, SailfishOS 1

DESCRIPTION:

I usually type SMS messages in landscape mode; sometimes when I rotate my phone, the screen will go blank – only the background and keyboard remain visible, but no SMS app UI. This has been happening for as long as I remember, on all 3 SailfishOS devices I owned. Rotating the phone back to portrait mode and then again to landscape makes the UI appear again.

PRECONDITIONS:

Unknown, but seems to happen more often when opening SMS from notifications (I’ve even had it happen a few times without rotating the phone - just got a blank screen)

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Start typing a new SMS or replying to an existing SMS
  2. Rotate the phone to landscape mode

EXPECTED RESULT:

I can see what I’m typing, and past messages.

ACTUAL RESULT:

UI disappears.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

5 Likes

Hi another Slovenian user ;). I noticed the same in portrait mode on my XA2 but a bit less often. Rotating workaround helps.

I notice something similar on SFOS 3.3 on my Jolla 1. Sometimes, the content seems to dim or fade away with arbitrary and completely random targets (I mean opacity values). The content may become completely unreadable or hardly readable, depending on its final opacity. When this occurs here, I tried to trigger redraw events by switching to events display or making it show its cover, but to no avail: whenever I returned to the Messaging app, content would stay dimmed.

I have to try rotating the screen!

2 Likes

I noticed that the SMS app goes dim a few times as well, but it’s far less common than the UI disappearing completely.

1 Like

I have the same issue on Sailfish X

Confirmed: rotating the display does restore readibility by removing the opacity. This bug is also in SFOS 3.4.