SIM configuration app (Konfiguration) can't be deleted and won't stay in folder after reboot

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.0.1.45, also with earlier versions
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): X, XA2
UI LANGUAGE: German, English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?):

DESCRIPTION:

On my Sailfish XA2 I get a “Konfiguration” app when I (re)boot the phone. The worst thing is: I cannot delete the app and I can’t even move it to a category – after the reboot it’s at the end of the app’s list again. That bothers me much because I use folders for apps so they fit on one page.

PRECONDITIONS:

German cell provider

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Place “Konfiguration” in a folder
  2. Reboot

EXPECTED RESULT:

The app stays in the folder where I have put it

ACTUAL RESULT:

The app is in the main list again.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

1 Like

This is kind of a virtual app, as it depends on the SIM itself and gets “installed” only just after unlocking the SIM, even its name is SIM dependent. Thus, it will be treated as a newly installed app after every phone reboot (and corresponding SIM unlock).
This virtual app has also annoyed me a bit. Could it perhaps better be removed from the app roster and allowed to be started from a settings menu entry?

1 Like

This app pertains to the so-called “SIM (application) Toolkit”. The mobile operators want to run apps of their own using the processor of the SIM card. But as the card does not have a display those apps need to use the phone display.

I find those icons at the launcher grid a bit annoying but…

2 Likes

A workaround would be nice for now. I can recall seeing a suggestion to “touch” the binary of the app and set restrictive permissions so that the real app can’t overwrite the file, but I cannot find it.

Finally found the name of the service: ofono. The workaround is to edit
/etc/ofono/ril_subscription.conf
as root (devel-su) and add
enableSimToolkit=false
to it. Then
systemctl restart ofono
should do the trick

6 Likes

That’s really nice, thank you for digging this out and sharing here!

Will this work in Koli? I need to take a look at this tool.