Sfos and jolla's situation

This is true. Look at Microsoft: even the really big company Microsoft with their well recognized Windows-Brand failed in the mobile-os-market, even though Windows Phone was in many ways better than Android and iOS.

And Blackberry. It even had Android app-support and failed.

1 Like

Blackberry “failed” intentionally as did Nokia/MeeGo.
No real need to cease the product but business proposals and forecasts (which tend to prove wrong in the long term pretty often, but, nevertheless, still weigh in quite heavy in business decisions). My personal favorite is still the forecast seeing Windows phone becoming the leading OS outruling iOS and Android within years - it eventually became true WP had already vanished from the market within the time actually predicted:-)

yeah i agree with you especially on the part that other companies failed to make it big
in the desktop market share linux has around 3% to 5% from the past years now with chrome os flex it might go down and with this market share and the number of users we see linux distro’s discontinued all the time and the mobile os market share all of the other OSes have around less than 1% market share so who knows but with kaiOS on the rise for reviving older phones the interest in alternative mobile OSes might go up or the most likely case go down and kaiOS will be the third mobile OS over sailfish OS and ubuntu touch

yeah and companies would have an easier time instead of flashing sailfish OS on phones they bought separately
they would just buy the devices with sailfish OS pre-installed

yeah blackberry going fully into the business market kept them alive for some time but didn’t quit work which is what i’m afraid will happen to sfos

there is hope though for windows phone windows 11 has the start menu and other features from the os they where planing to use on hand held devices so with phones becoming stronger and OS optimization get’s better who knows maybe we will be able to run the next version of windows on phones and pc’s

My favorite has been Palm.

I must admit I’m not really confident in this. I think the fact that the new cool phones from Microsoft like the Surface Duo and Surface Duo 2 (which are really cool devices by the way) come with Android gives us a huge hint that Microsoft has no plans at all for running Windows on phones. And to be honest, why would they? The last time they tried they spent a lot of many and then failed, I doubt they would do that again. And also, the market has become even more difficult than it was back then

yeah i don’t think they will start with the phone market maybe they start in the tablet market and if things work out and if they could find a way to run windows apps on a tablet or phone i think they might have a chance not a big one but a chance

who knows from what i read back when w11 got released was that alot of features they implemented where from Windows 10X which was planed for the surface neo but it got canceled and we don’t know what will run on the surface neo if they can optimize w11 to run on it maybe the will enter the tablet market and if they fined a way to run android apps or windows app on tablets they might enter the smartphone market

and i think the surface Duo devices came with android maybe because windows 10x got canceled ?

and because apple are trying to unify the ecosystem and google pushing their ecosystem with chrome os flex Microsoft might develop their own ecosystem with a mobile os but time will tell

“Ecosystem” - everything that is wrong with modern technology summed up in one word.

Edit: Punctuation and capitalization would really help readability and perception.

2 Likes

Pretty much but there is nothing we can do about it .

Big companies are moving towards it ( If you can have your phone , tablet , pc , tv … etc
running on the same software and the controls are the same why not ? And if it worked before on a device why not run it on another device ? ) or at the least that’s what companies , And people think .

There isn’t too much innovations being made sadly …

But maybe companies will try something new ( MIUI , ONEUI , HarmonyOS … etc ) All though I doubt it sense people got used to the Android ecosystem
If they find something new that Android or IOS doesn’t already have , And the race begins again

Edit : I know their based on Android but if they find a new concept or start developing for future OSes maybe based on a web browser than a full OS they might take a little bit of the market share but who knows

And sorry for the punctuation and capitalization and misspelling on the other post’s and replies
I will try to do a better job on the next replies

They are already in the tablet market, because the Surface-Pro-Line and the Surface-Go-Line are essentially tablets running windows.

No, Microsoft said from the beginning that the Surface Duo will run Android (as far as I remember)

I think in the current market situation it is to late for Microsoft to accomplish that

Why would they want to develop their own OS? Except for Huawei, Android has only advantages to them like lesser software development costs. MIUI and ONEUI are only there to differentiate them from the standard Android because in the Android market, you need to convince people that your phone is better than the 100000 other Android phones

Ok I agree with you , you got valid points I just want them to make something new tired of Android

And by tablet market i mostly meant the Surface neo which didn’t get released yet

But with operating system’s moving towards HTML-5 like chrome OS they might do something else because windows is a legacy OS each version is on top of the old one
which means each new version needs better hardware and when windows 11 didn’t support a lot of old hardware people got mad and moved to either linux or chrome OS flex now but most of them just bypassed the security checks

and google is working on another OS called fuchsia OS i don’t know a lot about it but it might replace Android

Microsoft might do something like that an OS that runs for pc’s and phone’s
I don’t know but am hoping they do

Hey have they replied to your email yet ?
and for the link about them having 125 employees was it before or after they had to layoff half of their employees ?

I’m disappointed somehow, I didn’t get an answer so far.

It is understandable, perhaps, for me that they don’t want to publish the sold licenses in the recent years. But the number of employees should be no secret.

How many Jolla-users/ Jolla-devices are there altogether?

A rather optimistic estimate would be that each jolla-user has downloaded “File Browser” (or “Android Support”) only once (in Jolla-store).
→ Jolla-store shows 75.000+ downloads

I think the File Browser in Jolla store is not representative because the File Browser from Storeman has access to all files and directories while FB from Jolla store only has for a Selection.
The number of AlienDalvik downloads shows only the number of licenced users and not all users.
But thanks for info, so abt. 75000 licenced users, as i understood it. No. of unlicenced users still unknown.

Yeah OK they should have published the number of employees they didn’t speak about it after 2015 when they had to layoff half of their employees an only had 50 because a lot of companies got affected after the pandemic and the war

But if they answer let us know and thanks

And if anybody is gonna go to they upcoming community meeting maybe they could ask them about this topic

Never did that on my two SailfoshOS phones.

1 Like

Ok, but it is the topmost loaded app. Do someone has a better approach to estimate the total current sailfish-user?

1 Like

Ask on community meeting

1 Like