SFOS 4.5 feedback thread

I do hope you’ll not be disappointed.
Freedom and privacy do have price ;).

3 Likes

Gpodder has a pull request in github to fix this. I fixed it myself on my phone in qml. The name of the icon had changed.

I guess I miss-/overinterpretated this statement in the Release Notes:
Homescreen

• Several fixes for the app grid behaviour
    I somehow thought, this would refer to the top menu bug.

Hi jovirkku. I could solve my problem “no android apps/icons anymore after successful 4.4.0.72 → 4.5.0.16 update” in the meantime with help of jolla.customer.care and the community and your help. By advice of jolla.custom.care I gathered log files via this link Collect Persistent Logs | Sailfish OS Documentation. I send them to the jolla.customer.care and they said I should make the update to 4.5.0.18 first. After the update unfortunately again no android apps/icons were there. Then I removed all my installed waydroid files and apps and the file .storage_migration_done from default user/android_storage and made a reboot. Then I again tried on the CLI the commands systemctl restart aliendalviek, waited 1 min, canceled the command with ctrl^C and entered the command systemctl stop aliendalviek, waited some sec. and again entered systemctl restart aliendalviek. Then the status of my android app support button was on ‘running’ (before only a busy cycle was shown). And all of a sudden all my android icons were back on the grid panel and every android app was working like before. :smiley: Many thanks for your support !!! Now I hope that the next update will work smoothly.

2 Likes

Really like the 4.5 update so far but i have a question regarding the Android icons getting transitioned to Sailfish looking icons - is it meant to be all apps or just a certain type? As i have installed a few apps from the Aurora Store that have kept the normal Android shape and now they look really out of place ;).

To name a couple of them, with the banking ones being UK versions - Virgin Money, Barclays, TallyMoney and Airtime Rewards.

2 Likes

I did udpate 4.5.0.16 and 4.5.0.18.
I have Xperia XA2 - Dual sim
And guys, these time it was terrible.

• Bluetooth not working - it cannot be turned on (fixed with systemctl restart bluetooth)
  • Navigation app “Here” doesn’t start. And it is app downloaded from jolla store.
  • Gallery app cannot access SD card
  • I am afraid to try more
    I need to travel and I need often bluetooth and navigation.
    When this will be fixed ?
1 Like

Here from Jolla store is completely outdated since aeons. Try a newer versions e. g. from Aurora.

On my Xperia 10 III “Here” works with 4.5.0.16 and 4.5.0.18 without problems.

Is the card mounted and unlocked? You can check that in Storage in Settings.

Did you tried to reboot a few times? I know it sounds stupid but I had bizarre problems that went away after that.

That’s a good occasion to fix the problem by moving away from Here. They sold out to the mass surveillance: Here maps no longer preferable (somebody's opinion) - #40 by Kea . Give Magic Earth a try.

2 Likes

Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server for the win!

4 Likes

Reboot didn’t help. But I already installed some other gallery app via fdroid. And they could acccess SD card

good to know. thanks for the hint.

I tried to install Pure maps via jolla store. There is message it is limited version. And anyway it end up with some error. From which source should I install it ?

Pure Maps v. 3.2.1-1.9.1 by Rinigus is available in Chum.

2 Likes

I would recommend you to install it via Chum. You probably need to install OSM Scout Server for offline tiles and routing too. Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server are both created by Rinigus and available from Chum.

Chum is an additional repository, which build the SFOS apps from source. There is even a GUI App available, where you can easily install apps (like the Jolla Store). More information about Chum.

For hiking there is also the Map App OSM Scout created by Karry ( OSM Scout is a different app besides OSM Scout Server)

1 Like

Bluetooth not working - it cannot be turned on (fixed with systemctl restart bluetooth )

Regarding your Bluetooth problem, you could try to reboot the bluetooth stack via: Settings → Utilities (located under Info) → Scroll to bluetooth section and click on the button Restart.
I think this is easier than executing it via bash.

1 Like

Overall it seems a good update, I am happy with it. But: sometimes my Xperia 10 dual sim goes bootloop, turning off and turning on by itself. That’s very annoying. Then, WIFI asking very very often to connect to certain network, like it lost it and re-find it. I liked the new battery anti-old feature. Wasn’t in SailfishOS since years, so can’t compare with older releases

I have this issue that WIfi and mobile network switch from the one to the other as seen in the upper status bar of the phone. During these switching network moments, android apps seem to loose internet and the browser also slows to a crawl.
Is there some CLI magic to verify which connection is used?

3 Likes

one like within two minutes should mean that I’m not alone seeing this behaviour.

1 Like