Self transferring a licence

I doubt that Jolla prioritizes over likes to be honest.
But to give an update, the response should be at least a week later.
Lets hope they see it next week!

1 Like

You are not correctly informed, there is no difference between pre-installed or self-bought (Windows) licenses, both have no restrictions on saleability or transferability - not because of individual companies’ sentiments, but because it’s mandated by law in the European Union. You (and Jolla, for that matter…) may want to read up on it, there were many prominent legal disputes over this in the past: https://www.forscope.eu/blog/legal-side-of-used-software/. Jolla can mandate a license being only valid for a specific device model (e.g. only for Sony Xperia XA2s), but not that such a license can’t be transferred to a different phone and/or sold by the original customer to someone else (which they did in 2021, when I wanted to buy someone’s used Sony Xperia XA2 including its Sailfish X license, and which they still do according to their current licensing terms - I didn’t make a fuss over it and (somewhat…) gladly paid the 50 € for a new one out of my goodwill for Jolla, but it’s nonetheless an at least “questionable” business practice on their part).

What you maybe have in mind are Microsoft’s “digital licenses” that they introduced for Windows 10, which are indeed tied to a user’s hardware (although in reality still being transferable without any [or at least very little] restrictions), however they are given out voluntarily as free upgrades for existing users of older versions (e.g. Windows 7), that otherwise would’ve had to purchase a new license, as it was custom in the past (e.g. to upgrade from Windows XP to 7).

4 Likes

Another update, let’s say at least 2 weeks for a license transfer.
Looks like it will take a while unfortunately.