Select a certificate to authenticate yourself to sailfishos.org:443

I am unfortunately receiving request authenticate myself on my windows 11 machine using Vivaldi browser (this is the exact message: “select a certificate to authenticate yourself to sailfishosorg:443”), this is frequent occurrence and I’m puzzled to how to fix this. I have checked my list of certificates on my machine, I see no references made to sailfishosorg, and I only recall visiting sailfishosorg website to check the product offering. Is somebody able to help me to figure out how to remove this?

The site seems to be hosted in Amazon cloud facility, perhaps there is some config glitch on one/some of nodes that spawn under traffic.

thanks smyru, any suggestions/ideas on how to proceed with this?

Is this issue only for Vivaldi? Ok, then have you cleared the complete history? In your Vivaldi go to the Vivaldi Menu → Extra → History. On the right the is an icon for clearing the history, for me right of the word “month”.

Is this issue with other browers: check your personal certificate storage again

It’s a good suggestion by @hanswf to check with other browsers. I would add that it would be worth to check specifically in Firefox, as it has different implementation of certificate handling from all other browsers which are Chromium based nowadays.

@jakob1holland, can post URL of the page that triggers this dialog?

@smyru @hanswf , thanks for your help. I cleared out the history so I’m going to wait to see whether this pop message comes back. There was no specific website which triggered this (was entirely random). This issue only happened when I used Vivaldi browser.

Not sure how related is this but for the last month I’ve been receiving on my device sailfush browser this message (maybe once a day and for ~15mins)

The site at https://forum.sailfishos.org/ has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired.
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the data transmission was detected.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

This has overlapped with me migrating to another gsm operator, so it may be related to some peerings/network splits (?)

hello @vlagged , thanks for the input, I would not know whether these issues are related. I still keep getting message (as per the subject title), so now I have simply blocked sailfishosorg from my Vivaldi browser. I decided to check the website using another browser (Firefox), the site starts requesting certificates immediately once I accessed their public site, I’m curious why they set it up like this and I have no idea why I am continuously getting this request on random (when I am not even on their website), I guess now I will simply avoid checking their site.

Oh, so it happens even when not visiting it? Maybe it is somehow registered for push notifications in Vivaldi?

is it not more likely that the IP address is recorded by sailfishosorg and then notification for certificate authentication is pushed continuously until succeeded?

I suspect it’s got nothing to do with push or notifications, rather some misconfiguration on some proxy(?), because the repo.sailfishos.org subdomain does need and use client certificates for package retrieval.

Does this still happen?

The load balancer had client SSL certificate pass-through enabled, which probably caused the browser to ask which certificate to use, if you have any client certificates available. The pass-through has now been disabled, so this certificate selection should no longer pop up.

4 Likes

Morning Keto, ok, I’ll unblock the site and have a look, let give it 1-2 days to see whether the notification pops up again.

I suspect this was the solution, thanks

1 Like

network protocol violation still happens to me. When I find some cause I’ll open a separate topic…