Seeking within YouTube videos in Browser causes infinite loading spinner

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 90%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.2.0.19, also 4.1.0
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): X10 II
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): No

DESCRIPTION: Seeking around the timeline while playing YouTube videos (either clicking on the timeline, moving the playback indicator or by double-clicking on the edges to skip ahead/back) in the Browser fails; loading spinner over the video window keeps spinning, eventually the video area goes black and it never resumes playing. Sometimes the audio starts playing (from the new position) but the video stays freezed.

Quitting browser leaves a process “plugin-container” running (using considerable amounts of RAM), and I need to kill it manually and then restart the Browser before I can get any videos to play again.

The problem seems to get worse when using bluetooth headphones, but it also happens using just the built-in speaker of the phone.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Start browser, open YouTube
  2. Play a video
  3. Try seeking about in the video and eventually it will fail

EXPECTED RESULT: Browser should be able to handle seeking in YouTube without issues.

ACTUAL RESULT: As described below; eventually seeking will fail and browser needs to be restarted and plungin-container process killed manually before playback of YouTube videos works again.

3 Likes

Having this as well on 4.1 and 4.2 with Xperia 10.

This is still an issue, and happens to me daily.

Since 4.3.0 I’d say the situation has improved considerably, or even fixed it self.