Search in Calendar

A missing feature that bites me from time to time is search functionality in the calendar.
If I know about the content of a certain appointment (typically a word in its title), but not its date and time, searching it in the calendar really is a lot a manual labour.
A search function would come in handy.

20 Likes

Yes! That would come handy.
And was asked 5y ago (indeed 7y when you follow mentioned global search link).

I did not check the python stuff provided there (maybe it is much more convenient :wink: ).

But here is a small cli / shell workaround to find something in calendar and get the date…

devel-su
ST="*SearchText*" sqlite3 /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Calendar/mkcal/db "select Summary, Location, Description, DateStart, DateStartLocal from Components where Summary like '%$ST%' or Location like '%$ST%' or Description like '%$ST%';"

or (as one-liner)
ST="*SearchText*"; devel-su -c sqlite3 /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Calendar/mkcal/db "select Summary, Location, Description, DateStart, DateStartLocal from Components where Summary like '%$ST%' or Location like '%$ST%' or Description like '%$ST%';"

Find your item in the output, grab the last column (local timestamp) and issue
date @*FoundTimeStamp*

Now you will know the date/time and can easily find it…

11 Likes

It seems the calendar search feature is not really popular and that’s a shame.

We still miss the “smart” in our smartphones. I mean in general, not only SFOS.

Search is one “smart” that I miss and also linking of events, contacts, mails, files, pictures. Wouldn’t it be great to have a global search feature that would spit out results from calendar, contacts, pictures and so on? Saturday morning thought.

Enjoy the week-end :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry in advance for nostalgy:
but you mean like we had on N900?
(disclaimer: could have been a third-party addition, do not remember and N900 needs charge :()

1 Like

And sorry for the off-topic.
I can’t remember the global search function but I liked the exif tags in pictures. The merged Conversations. Man why do you bring such memories back up! ;-p

3 Likes

[In my best Crocodile Dundee voice:]
“You call that nostalgia? This is nostalgia:”

(Palm)Pilot had global search in 1996.

6 Likes

I miss calendar search a lot too.
I miss N900 modern functions/tools too :–)

Wouldn’t that be a good and simple enough exercise to learn how to make an app on Sailfish?

3 Likes

Yeah, and that is a problem. Everything handy and logically needed is not implemented. Like search calendar, working web browser or marking multiple SMS conversations for deleting.

But useless features are implemented day by day, hand-in-hand with useless GUI “improvements”.

I decided to search calendar other way (hope it will work) - i want to install radicale to sync it with my pc thunderbird and there i can use all standard calendar features, including search (thank god).

1 Like

Yeah, a Calendar app is meant to help remember things we forget.
But if you forget, how can you remember when it was or will be?

So, I really needed to be able to search into Calendar.
In case it 's useful to someone, here is the python script I made.
It allows search Description, Summary and Location fields of the calendar.
Very noob, comments welcome!

At the moment, it only works as root as the Calendar DB is not accessible as normal user.
I am going to ask how to solve this in another thread.

3 Likes

I just started getting back to extending searchnemo. I’m implementing methods for calendar as for notes. While digging about, you can query in sqlite to actual date without an extra step:

select Summary, Description, date(DateStart, 'unixepoch'), DateStart from Components where Summary like '%TERM%' or Description like '%TERM%'

Sadly I won’t get finished before my vacation. But people have been waiting so long:)

1 Like

I don’t want to compare with any device or desktop program. It just seems that a search function in calendar, or global search, would be a smart addition. Not so into tinkering with the command line to spit out infos. It’s a phone we are using.

Did you come any further with extending searchnemo for the calendar? Not many supporters for a calendar search function unfortunately.

Yes and no :slight_smile: I just looked an I haven’t pushed the local changes. But I hadn’t gotten to the Display parts and I need to implement a new class/methods in src/dbsqlite.cpp … it’s in my todos. I’ll see if I can get to it the next week.

1 Like

For anyone interested in the gory details, in the context of the app:

harbour-searchnemo/dbsqlite.cpp at master · poetaster/harbour-searchnemo · GitHub

It boils down to the methods used for specific extra fields (note are implemented in the original, but don’t work currently) aren’t abstracted out for specific data sources so it’s implemented in the sqlite db class. I was looking at refactoring that entirely, since the special case(s) doesn’t belong here, but could hack it in.

1 Like

Sadly not included in the new 4.5 update. Not even tracked. Seems not man people search the Calendar.

2 Likes

I am an absolute fan and supporter of Calendar and Sms search.
I think this is vital if I want to seriously use my phone as a real tool.
(At least with my bird memory)

“When was my last dentist date?”
“Who told me about this great article about SFOS? …when was that? I should have written that down…”
“Someont told me about this very good and cheap Led bulb model when my lamp was ok. But now, I need a bulb and I don’t remember.”
And so on.

We can’t write down everything, especially because it doesn’t always look relevant at the reading time. The bell often rings later on.

Search is life! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In the worst case, if you really need to find some information, you still can use the script linked in my previous post.
Result will look like this:

2 Likes