Search in Calendar

A missing feature that bites me from time to time is search functionality in the calendar.
If I know about the content of a certain appointment (typically a word in its title), but not its date and time, searching it in the calendar really is a lot a manual labour.
A search function would come in handy.

13 Likes

Yes! That would come handy.
And was asked 5y ago (indeed 7y when you follow mentioned global search link).

I did not check the python stuff provided there (maybe it is much more convenient :wink: ).

But here is a small cli / shell workaround to find something in calendar and get the date…

devel-su
ST="*SearchText*" sqlite3 /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Calendar/mkcal/db "select Summary, Location, Description, DateStart, DateStartLocal from Components where Summary like '%$ST%' or Location like '%$ST%' or Description like '%$ST%';"

or (as one-liner)
ST="*SearchText*"; devel-su -c sqlite3 /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Calendar/mkcal/db "select Summary, Location, Description, DateStart, DateStartLocal from Components where Summary like '%$ST%' or Location like '%$ST%' or Description like '%$ST%';"

Find your item in the output, grab the last column (local timestamp) and issue
date @*FoundTimeStamp*

Now you will know the date/time and can easily find it…

9 Likes

It seems the calendar search feature is not really popular and that’s a shame.

We still miss the “smart” in our smartphones. I mean in general, not only SFOS.

Search is one “smart” that I miss and also linking of events, contacts, mails, files, pictures. Wouldn’t it be great to have a global search feature that would spit out results from calendar, contacts, pictures and so on? Saturday morning thought.

Enjoy the week-end :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry in advance for nostalgy:
but you mean like we had on N900?
(disclaimer: could have been a third-party addition, do not remember and N900 needs charge :()

And sorry for the off-topic.
I can’t remember the global search function but I liked the exif tags in pictures. The merged Conversations. Man why do you bring such memories back up! ;-p

2 Likes

[In my best Crocodile Dundee voice:]
“You call that nostalgia? This is nostalgia:”

(Palm)Pilot had global search in 1996.

5 Likes