Sailslack - Abandoned or Maintained?

Does anyone know if Sailslack is still maintained?

Now that Slackfish doesn’t work any more this is now the only native app left that can be used to access Slack.

Its a useful app (in fact one of my native go to apps) which allows native access to the Slack collaboration tool. It still works (mainly fine) on both 32 bit and 64 bit phones but there are some bugs.

For example messages come in from a contact, but are often displayed out of order - so the latest message can often be buried somewhere in the middle of a lengthy stream of 100’s messsages and therefore difficult to find. Another bug is the notification of unread messages is almost always wrong (the wrong number of unread messages).

But I don’t know whether its worth even raising these issues if this very useful native app has now been abandoned and this is as good as it will ever get.

Does anyone know, or alternatively if it is abandoned, are there any devs willing to pick it up?

Thanks for starting this discussion!

Yes, Dan and I are the maintainers.
Yes! we could use some help if someone could chime in. There are a couple of refactoring branches that stalled because we didn’t have the time we’d wished.

And yes! File bugs:) Maybe that should get us started again. (We don’t use “analytics” y’know:)

Context: I filed a couple of pull requests previously and Dan did review and release the end result, so I am pretty confident help will not be disregarded.

P.S. I think Sailslack is a fork of Slackfish.

2 Likes

Hi!
I am too very excited of this app.
Slack is now the de facto standard for many companies.
I will be really appreciate you for maintain and updates.

Thank you.

Where/how do you want bugs filed?

Issues · danvratil/harbour-sailslack · GitHub should do it. Thanks!

I may have found the 5+ year-long message order bug, pinging Dan V. as we speak to test it and maybe push to openrepos.

4 Likes

@Steve_Everett there’s a build in the zip called output-rpms on github here if you’d like to test the message order fix Release v0.3.1 · danvratil/harbour-sailslack@f2338bf · GitHub

I’d be happy to test it, but … I’m not a developer and don’t have a clue how to use Github. I followed the link and found output-rpms, but its just a piece of text not a link. Clicking on it does nothing, so not sure what to do?

Ah, you probably should be logged in…? Or download it from the PC?
Anyway, it should appear in open repos these days if not. Thanks for the paitience:)

Just tried - I can only download CI artifacts when logged in on github.
When not logged in, one can see the artifacts listed, but cannot download any.

1 Like

Oh! Neato. I did not know you could build with github actions. Using docker, the question being where is that docker image coming from?

I know, right? I just remembered we inherited one from coderus in the patchmanager project. So basically is that file, adapted for sailslack. I even wrote one for my port’s image creation (altough I know other porters use gitlab-porters-ci project). I’m in “CI everything” mode for about a week:)
The advantage in Sailslack’s case is that the build can have secrets set by one repo member without the collaborators being able to see it (basically the secrets are write-only in the web interface, and they are masked out if found din the build output).
The docker image comes from the docker hub if I would have to guess.

2 Likes

I just made a copy of the buil.yaml and adapted it. Guess is triggering a build requires a release? If that yaml is enough, I’d be really chuffed :wink:

I’m doing some terraform / gitlab-ci stuff at work and that is much more involved! It’s neat, too, but much more configuration (well, it does also create and destroy hetzner virtual machines). I’m just trying to wrap my head around it from the work a colleague has done. I’m still firmly old school.

EDIT: We should write a how-to. This could make it a lot less painful to rescue old projects!
EDIT 2: ah, I think @coderus did a write up, didn’t he?
EDIT 3:
So, yes, with a basic config as above just pushing a release suffices:

Update main.yml · poetaster/harbour-scaler@0006ecc · GitHub neato.

2 Likes

Good. You may want to look at my port to see how to upload the output directly to the github release;)
I should start another wiki thread about building like this, maybe in the next hours.

Thanks! That’d be great if a wiki came out of it. Thanks for the tips!

Still might make more sense to add sailslack to obs, though? I could push it via my account if you wish?

Well, it’s the secrets that don’t afford for an OBS build. I think it’s the same with Fernschreiber.

Ah, of course. Sorry, that’s one I’ve been scratching my head about for one case. I’m looking at obfuscating by storing some keys in an sqllite database for one app.

Actually there already is this thread Build Sailfish OS application using GitHub Actions or GitLab CI

2 Likes

That’s the one I was thinking of but could not find. Should just have looked in @coderus profile.