Sailjail issues with Pure Maps

Just wanted to give short feedback regarding issues that I have hit when adjusting Pure Maps to work with Sailjail.

1. There is no way I can allow DBus communication with some other app. While we can register ownership of DBus service, I don’t see any way we can allow communication between apps. As a result, for Jolla Store version, it is impossible to get data from local OSM Scout Server when requesting map matching service. There is a feedback thread at Sailjail and D-Bus interaction between apps , but so far we don’t have any solution for moving forward with it. No replies from Jolla devs either.

2. Currently, SFOS does not have any TTS service. To make TTS possible, we have to call separate command utilities (mimic or picotts). Again, Sailjail doesn’t allow it. Obviously, having a proper TTS API would be a way forward. Topic has been discussed long time ago without any “official” response at Text to Speech (TTS) service and API - together.jolla.com

I think these were the main roadblocks for Pure Maps and hopefully it is of some use to document it and provide as a feedback.

14 Likes

One other thing I noticed, ever since Fernschreiber switched to geo:// urls (for the same sandboxing restrictions) is that pure maps uri handler is still sandboxed and doesnt work (would work without).
Thanks!

3 Likes

it is possible to start puremaps from the commandline to have tts.

Why don’t you simply install the Pure Maps variant from SailfishOS:Chum?
Only the Pure Maps variant in the Jolla Store does have these limitations imposed by SailJail (no OSM-Scout-Server and no TTS) due to the Jolla Store Rules.

4 Likes

In my case, it would be because i have the impression that Chum is still a difficult early days service for ‘expert’ users.

I get this impression from what i read about needing to uninstall and reinstall between SFOS upgrades.

In my case, my 10iii has broken mobile data, and the solution [might] be to install ‘ofono logs’ from chum. But given the above, i’m not going to try until SFOS 4.5 arrives and will continue using my old XA2 Plus longer than i wanted to.

1 Like

Chum: It’s a little bit laboriously every update time, but don’t worry, it works very reliable.

1 Like

I release on all three channels. In most cases there is little or no difference in the builds. With chum, the builds are ‘done’ by the obs build service. So sometimes, I have to make minor modifications to builds to account for differences. But I basically ‘use’ all my apps from chum. I do tests with builds I’ve uploaded to open repos / harbour, but am very happy to use chum generally.

6 Likes

No, I think your conflating openrepos and chum. The warning you may be seeing has, in the main, to do with packages that might conflict / replace packages from jolla. It’s advised to disable openrepos / chum in the case that libraries / components that are provided by jolla might be replaced by those from openrepos/chum. But that’s relatively easy to spot. Say I :slight_smile:

4 Likes

thank you.

i did try openrepos back at the start of my XA2 Plus journey, and then it disappeared for some reason.

looks like i will have to join the chum gang. :slight_smile:

@PeegeeTips: it has been moved to Chum as it is way easier to build complex apps, such as Pure Maps, on OBS. Complex in this context reflects dependencies. In addition, using Chum, we can release for multiple SFOS releases in one go, no need to upload anything.

4 Likes