SailfishOS UI redesign patch

Oh, absolutely. I believe the idea is that the app settings inside Settings are supposed to be settings you rarely change, but the division was never very well thought out, and it’s been neglected for years, not in the least because any third party app putting its settings there was denied Harbour access. However, the fact that they’ve made it prominently visible again and put new settings in there makes me believe they’re working on making it more logical.

I suppose they could eventually decide to make the app settings inside Settings work a bit like dconf-editor, where every application setting can be found and modified without needing the application itself to be running. The easiest way to do thing would probably be to let developers put absolutely everything inside Settings, and put whatever they want inside their application, which could be everything found inside Settings or just a subset of those.

1 Like

I think it’s cool idea that we would have centralised settings in one page. I think we would look at it differently today if that page was available to devs and all apps would have their settings there, wouldn’t that be cool like sfos only thingy?

But not now, not after (how many times do i have to say it, incredibly dumb) jolla’s decision to not allow devs here. Currently there’s no point in that settings page and all 5 stock apps that use that page should just move settings to in app and remove it. there’s like absolutely NO POINT in promoting that page

It’s just asking for trouble at this point, and wait, that’s correct, that would be another dumb jolla’s design idea

If they allow more fine grained control of permissions for apps it has a point. Ie to be able to select if app X can have access to Bluetooth but not sharing or whatever.

Hell yeah just like android i like it! /s

but in all seriousness, permissions settings there? fine. But that still doesn’t mean that there’s a point in promoting it that much it can stay as menu option there’s no harm in that

Android, iOS and many other mobile OSs that came and went did/do things right and wrong. I see no point in not adoption something that is fast and easy to use just because someone else is doing it. There is no point in being different or making things harder just for the sake of it.

true that, but it’s not counterargument xd

Honestly, what are you even talking about? You could simply have written an explanation of which design choices you believe to be wrong, why you think so and how you think they should be improved, but instead you chose to write snarky comments about “stoopid Jolla” and post meme pictures. What do you expect to gain by criticising in this rather unhelpful and unrespectful way?

1 Like

Well if you think that then i won’t stop you but you just missed every single point i made. I repeated on bad design change like 5 times already and it still flies over your head :confused:

i did that

the background, the controls tyle,

1 Like

I would prefer the second option: modify one by one buttons, menus and find a way to have them available as a patch: “gui patch for 3.0 feature”
I use two different page.qml and button.qml on Mi4(cancro) and on Xperia X.

I agree with Mister_Magister
Mister_Magister: because currently 4.0 is a huge jump from 3.0 I’m trying to have the 4.0 updates on my “3.0” device.
In this case would be a “gui patch for a 4.0 feature”

Of course this is not possible for everything: i.e. I didn’t find yet the way to update the browser engine.

Well, over my head, too. I’d love to see this thread becoming more constructive, because I do see potential, but excuse me, @MisterMagister, I can’t follow you with most of your arguments without further explanation or more explicit examples.

Yeah there’s lots of improvements so i would like to have them as well but the ui changes have insane repel level

That’s perfectly okay, thanks for trying

Those unfortunately i can’t provide cause i would have to sit down, go through system and compile list but that’s not needed yet. If i decide on making patch then you will be able to see every single little change i made listed. For now I only want to speak theoretically and generalization.

You might not know what i’m talking about if you are okay with ui changes, but many people that are as angry as i am will perfectly understand what i’m talking about and i’m targetting those people hence you might be confused :slight_smile:

Plugging that here. I think collecting a couple people for that patch would be great as we could attack different areas at once and validate each other’s ideas for safety (code review ftw!)

Actually, I’m probably more aware of your non-UI contributions to SFOS, but when I stopped using SFOS (hardware failure) I was still on 3.4 and I had difficulties adapting to UI changes introduced over the years, especially those in the Mail and Phone apps. I blamed that on my age, though, not being able to adapt fast enough to a changing environment. So I think that I have some sort of insight on what this is all about. But I can of course accept that it’s not the time yet to compile a full list with detailed examples.

I mean, like in the link above, people are angry about how notifications look and try to change that so there are people who have similar feeling.

From the talk alone I’m talking about
Top menu:

• change background colour and transparency to make it look more like in 2.0
  • (maybe) change controls to match silica ones

Notifications page:

• move back remove all button to pull-down menu
  • look into more fixes there (I’m not sure currently, again :<)

Settings:

• remove tab layout, go back into simple menu entry as it’s not needed to move apps to separate tab and tab layout is unnecessary

Clock app:

• remove tab layout it’s also unnecessary - tab layout is great because it looks nice, works nice and fits everywhere. Problem is, a thing that fits everywhere is a bad thing because its often overused (singleton in programming for example). Tab layout, the one that originated in mitakuuluu app… I think, that exists in app like, Piepmatz and Musikilo, allows you to have like 5 or more pages on the same level, which you can’t achieve using a pull-down menu because you would have too many options there. You use that layout only when you have too many same-level pages and pull-down menu doesn’t fit your purpose, but you do that only if you don’t have any other idea, just to minimize use of it because again, you could apply it to every app and that’s VERY bad. Meanwhile, Jolla rolled their own version of tab layout that makes it 3 pages max… which also fits pull-down menu “good” limit so… why? You can’t tell me its more easy or anything, you are converting vertical swipe into horizontal swipe with no gain at all, maybe a little bit faster. In jolla’s tab layout, reason why you would go tab layout is gone and also sfos design principles are gone. It makes no sense to force it onto apps, clock app was perfectly fine as it was. Anyone had any trouble? Doubt it (Dang, sorry it got so long it’s worth entire blog post but wait i already did it).

Browser:

• Placing print pdf button on list of primary buttons is bad design idea as it’s not very often used, instead you could put settings or favourites there that are used WAY more often

There are other things but again, i would have to make a deep research to list everything but i hope thats something @Maus

So, me, my graphic designer gregguh, @ichthyosaurus and @Levone1 agreed to work together to make it real

3 Likes

One thing you seem to overlook is visibility. Pulleys -for someone who is not that familiar with SFOS- are a bit hidden.
Other than that i prefer pulleys to be used for actions (add remove etc) than for moving around to the functions of an app.

Also since you are going to work on it it would be good if some of the changes end up in SFOS. So if possible have a talk with people at jolla. They might want to include some of your stuff -even though i doubt it.

If we would go with that logic then make 1:1 copy of android ui becuase otherwise users will have trouble with gestures…

You know what i mean… you have tutorial, you have top menu indicator, users just gotta learn, everyone done that and thats no problem and no reason to remove all pulldown menus

2 Likes

HAH don’t count on it. Jolla “designers” did that changes so any changing them will be invalid by them