SailfishOS UI redesign patch

Thanks, i didn’t know that.

1 Like

People love to moan about the dreaded buttons taking over Sailfish, but at the same time they also love to gloss over all of the instances where buttons have been removed from the interface to make way for more swipes. Case in point is the new events view: they’ve added the possibility to attach a few buttons to a notification for quick actions that you would otherwise not be able to do at all (!), meaning the functionality is a net improvement over what came before, and on the other side they’ve revamped the way you get rid of unwanted notifications by no longer requiring you to tap tiny round buttons to the left of every notification or notification category you wanted to remove the notifications for, instead all you need to do now is swipe them away.

Another example: in the Settings application, you used to have to press a button all the way at the bottom of the list to be able to access the accounts and applications pages, now since 4.0, all you need to do is swipe left or right.

With regard to complaints about the top menu being too much like Android: it slides down from the top and has quick toggles for whichever settings you want, which is similar to but also more extensive than Android. It doesn’t hold your notifications hostage, so the only times you need to use it is when you want to toggle something on or off, which for the majority of people is actually not very often. For example, most people nowadays don’t even turn their WiFi or mobile data off anymore, ever. The bottom menu in Sailfish 1.0 was much more like Android than this one: you also had to use it to get to your notifications.

This doesn’t mean that there is nothing to be criticised. The look of the new notifications doesn’t fit in with anything else, the same way the cover for the Notes application has looked bad ever since it was inexplicably redesigned many years ago. In the same vein, the left-aligned headings in the redesigned Events view go against the entire rest of the Sailfish interface, where headings are right-aligned, so unless the plan is to make everything else left-aligned, too, the new Events view looks strangely out of place.

However, many of the oft-repeated criticisms aren’t based on what Sailfish is or has ever been, but on what the person criticising has always wanted Sailfish to be. I, for one, wish the best of luck to whoever thinks they can design a system that exclusively makes use of gestures.

2 Likes

You missed the point where they removed removing all notifications via simple pulldown menu and just added another button instead. When making a point you need to consider all aspects of a topic.

Problem is not whether or not is it simpler to access them, problem is if there’s even a point in accessing them. I will explain via meme

And also there was nothing wrong with having it all the way on the bottom, there’s no need to prioritize that useless page.

Again you missed entire point, problem is not what it does, problem is how it looks. It looks 1:1 like android switches and doesn’t use silica elements at all. 2.0 menu was using silica elements and it was all just fine but they just had to make it look more like android without using abience color or anything

Same as look of the buttons on them, again they could go with silica buttons but why would they, its better to fuck up the job

well, not the one i mentioned. All i mentioned was breaking SailfishOS guidelines made ever since beginning of sfos hell even go to Jolla youtube channel, click their first video ever and you will see how many recent changes don’t fit what that video shows.

That’s not the point either, buttons sometimes are best solutions but hell no always. But recently jolla just looooooooooooooooooves buttons

2 Likes

And when you swipe it feels slow loading the tab. As i said before the two options could have been added to the top of the settings in a User section and be done. Tabs are really nice. Overusing them is not.

On an unrelated note what i think also started to creep in the SFOS design is that the text size is kind of all over the place in many areas of the phone. Notifications included whic contribut a bit in making the whole thing look cluttered…

The switches in the top menu do use the ambience colour, so I have no idea what you’re complaining about. The text is white (or black if you use a light ambience), just like the vast majority of text everywhere else in Sailfish, but if a switch is toggled, it as well as the text below it gets coloured in with the ambience colour. The lock button is white, but gets coloured in with the ambience colour if you tap it. There’s a little tab at the bottom of the top menu, just like the one that indicates that you can pull up the application launcher. I can go on and on, but the fact is that the top menu fits inside Sailfish perfectly fine.

The old style switches and especially the old style buttons looked very amateurish. Android may be a horribly designed mobile operating system, but it gets at least a few things right. It’s not that Sailfish is “imitating Android”, it’s that Sailfish is implementing better designs (in general) and those designs also happen to be implemented in Android (because they’re better). You know where else you can find those designs? In every single other modern operating system, whether it’s on desktop or mobile. Not because Android did it, but because it’s good design.

The application settings aren’t useless at all, they’re where you’re supposed to edit your application’s settings. You’re grasping at straws here.

2 Likes

Aren’t you annoyed that we have settings in the apps and setting in the settings app? My opinion is that settings should be in the app and the app section in the settings should be about permissions (more fine grained if possible) and anything related to how the app interacts with the OS.

3 Likes

THIS. Tabs are epic when used correctly. In settings they’re insanely unnecessary

If they were using sfos Theme class or standard elements then it wouldn’t be a problem

so? they’re not the ones that need colour. you pointed out another mistake on jolla part thanks

looked very sfos aswell, worked same way too

As if devs were able to add applications settings there. Currently you can edit only like one time configuration options of STOCK apps only and don’t touch it ever again. People had trouble finding depecher’s settings because they were on apps page and that was insanely unnatural to them. There’s no need to make them separate page if there’s no need to go there

there are settings in apps becuase devs can’t put settings in settings app. If anyone does it they still have sttings in app that open settings in settings app because again noone goes to apps page in settings because THERE’S NOTHING USEFUL THERE BECAUSE SOMEONE THOUGHT THAT MAKING THAT PAGE AND NOT ALLOWING DEVS TO USE IT IS GREAT IDEA. GOD DAMN IT JOLLA

1 Like

I still don’t see why app settings should be in a separate app. Makes the whole thing slow. Ie you want to modify something you have to leave the app, open the settings apps, navigate to it modify it, go back to the app and do what you want. Even if its launched from within the app you would still have to go through the whole opening a new app launch. Which is pointless.

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely. I believe the idea is that the app settings inside Settings are supposed to be settings you rarely change, but the division was never very well thought out, and it’s been neglected for years, not in the least because any third party app putting its settings there was denied Harbour access. However, the fact that they’ve made it prominently visible again and put new settings in there makes me believe they’re working on making it more logical.

I suppose they could eventually decide to make the app settings inside Settings work a bit like dconf-editor, where every application setting can be found and modified without needing the application itself to be running. The easiest way to do thing would probably be to let developers put absolutely everything inside Settings, and put whatever they want inside their application, which could be everything found inside Settings or just a subset of those.

1 Like

I think it’s cool idea that we would have centralised settings in one page. I think we would look at it differently today if that page was available to devs and all apps would have their settings there, wouldn’t that be cool like sfos only thingy?

But not now, not after (how many times do i have to say it, incredibly dumb) jolla’s decision to not allow devs here. Currently there’s no point in that settings page and all 5 stock apps that use that page should just move settings to in app and remove it. there’s like absolutely NO POINT in promoting that page

It’s just asking for trouble at this point, and wait, that’s correct, that would be another dumb jolla’s design idea

If they allow more fine grained control of permissions for apps it has a point. Ie to be able to select if app X can have access to Bluetooth but not sharing or whatever.

Hell yeah just like android i like it! /s

but in all seriousness, permissions settings there? fine. But that still doesn’t mean that there’s a point in promoting it that much it can stay as menu option there’s no harm in that

Android, iOS and many other mobile OSs that came and went did/do things right and wrong. I see no point in not adoption something that is fast and easy to use just because someone else is doing it. There is no point in being different or making things harder just for the sake of it.

true that, but it’s not counterargument xd

Honestly, what are you even talking about? You could simply have written an explanation of which design choices you believe to be wrong, why you think so and how you think they should be improved, but instead you chose to write snarky comments about “stoopid Jolla” and post meme pictures. What do you expect to gain by criticising in this rather unhelpful and unrespectful way?

1 Like

Well if you think that then i won’t stop you but you just missed every single point i made. I repeated on bad design change like 5 times already and it still flies over your head :confused:

i did that

the background, the controls tyle,

1 Like

I would prefer the second option: modify one by one buttons, menus and find a way to have them available as a patch: “gui patch for 3.0 feature”
I use two different page.qml and button.qml on Mi4(cancro) and on Xperia X.

I agree with Mister_Magister
Mister_Magister: because currently 4.0 is a huge jump from 3.0 I’m trying to have the 4.0 updates on my “3.0” device.
In this case would be a “gui patch for a 4.0 feature”

Of course this is not possible for everything: i.e. I didn’t find yet the way to update the browser engine.

Well, over my head, too. I’d love to see this thread becoming more constructive, because I do see potential, but excuse me, @MisterMagister, I can’t follow you with most of your arguments without further explanation or more explicit examples.

Yeah there’s lots of improvements so i would like to have them as well but the ui changes have insane repel level

That’s perfectly okay, thanks for trying