SailfishOS 4.0 seen in the repositories

I’m sorry, the title looks great, but I’ve really no informations on the vision by Jolla about this version, but this number has started to appeared in repo, see:

9 Likes

Version numbers are pointless.

3 Likes

I know that’s why I started the thread with a disclaimer on the fact that I had no information on the actual content behind that version number.

Let’s wait and see what they will actually propose, it was just fun to see this numbering landing in repo.

3 Likes

More or less we all know what is missing from the OS and what is needed. Hence my comment on the pointlessness of numbers.

2 Likes

Oh come on Jolla… we are educated users, no need for a versioning number race ala Chrome :weary:
Especially when half of the Sailfish 3 list is still not implemented… https://jolla.com/sailfish3/ (there were even more elements at the announcement)

(Wow and I wanted to say half to be taunting, but I’ve counted roughly and I don’t think we are at much more than 50% progress :slightly_frowning_face:. Should we do an exhaustive checklist? :ballot_box_with_check: :wink:)

12 Likes

So they have a reason to skip those points from that list, perhaps.

I can imagine development progress that would justify such a version bump. But this is all speculation anyway. Wait and see …

2 Likes

May i remind you here that lists are also kind of pointless. SFOS moves according to the needs of the customers. Ie. if a customers wants VoLTE we ll have it soon.

5 Likes

As it was already pointed out, version numbers are pointless from the perspective of functionality. On the other hand rising major version may be a powerful marketing tool on one side or a signal of changed approach or direction.
Let’s give them time to do what they are up to. We’ll see the outcome one or another way.
I’m long time Jolla 1 user - still my daily driver. I hope SFOS will continue for a long time. I plan to get latest Xperia in few moths. Fingers crossed.

10 Likes

Oh yes, just copied this part that I still miss:

Full Cloud integration

Access to web folders
Automatic photo syncing
Settings