Sailfish OS for new devices

Hi!

Here is a question:

Will Jolla make Sailfish OS anymore for smartphones? I would like to know. I don’t want to use Android phone.

1 Like

Newer than the 10 iii? Yes, probably the 10 iv at least.

It also depends if you want Android App Support. This is currently only available on official ports and we don’t know if new Jolla will change that.

There are some fairly new phones that Sailfish has been unofficially ported to ie without App Support.

2 Likes

It would be nice to hear official news from Jolla company. Of course good to know that it is possible to get free version. But I would like to know is it possible to install free Sailfish OS in Sony Xperia 10 V?

4 Likes

Not until such a version exists. And you can keep up to date yourself on whether it does.

I suspect IV might be skipped in favor of V.

6 Likes

Because we’ve expected Jolla to work on the 10 v, porters have gone for other devices.

I expect both it and the 10 iv would be a relatively trivial port for basic functionality but I don’t know the differences from the 10 iii. And Jolla won’t want to release something basic. I guessed they’d have made a lot of progress on the iv before the administration procedure but we’ve had no info during or since.

They don’t have a public beta program but maybe they should.

I still believe (and hope :slight_smile: ) that Jolla will probably release a port for the Sony Xperia 10 IV because they created a repository but there is no activity except the initial commit. Of course it could be that they will skip IV and move to another version. We don’t know :slight_smile: Maybe we should raise that question for the next developer asking round. I assume we will get a generalized answer like “we can not say anything yet” but it could be worth a try.

1 Like

If they haven’t made any real progress on the IV, I don’t see the point in starting now.
Stocks of that device will be much smaller now, at least the V is a current device, and in production.

6 Likes

Sometimes Jolla commit things only if they are done but again we’re just guessing here. I think Jolla is working like “It’s done when it’s done”.

1 Like

Actually I noticed by accident Jollyboys news. So I believe that Sailfish OS will be available for newer devices in future. Of course I wish they would tell us more often their upcoming news.

2 Likes

They regularly post Community updates on this forum in the Community News section. If you subscribe (click the bell icon and I sub to the Watching First post option) to it you’ll be reasonably up to date with the public information about where things are with Sailfish

4 Likes