Sailfish in the USA

As I mentioned the other day, reflashing seemed to help, until yesterday. I missed 2 calls and several texts but as soon as I put the sim back in my iPhone viola. Hoping this will become a daily driver, someday.

Oh wow, my cosmo experience has been a dumpsterfire but not literal as this, did it happen while charging or just out of the blue? I still carry mine for longer ssh sessions from time to time but might reevaluate if the risk is worth it

2 Likes

@throwaway69
It started happening randomly while the device was on. It would hard shutdown then come back to the Planet Computers splash screen, then hard shutdown again. I went into the recovery menu and booted the stock Android slot, and it came up briefly. At that point I put it in on the supplied charger, with the supplied USB C cable and set it on a table to leave it in peace.

I left the room but had to go back in there for something, and smelled that distinct hot burning plastic smell. The nasty hateful stink… where there’s no question that something bad is happening. I grabbed the Cosmo and disconnected the charger, and it was so hot that it burned my fingertips. I could literally see smoke pouring out of the right hand side USB C port, so I grabbed it with a towel and ran for the front door. I set it on a workbench outside and saw it starting to swell.

The battery swelled so much that the back cover was almost completely free of the clips, so I popped it the rest of the way off with a spudger, in an attempt at disconnecting the battery… hopefully salvaging the device itself. At that point I saw at least two SMD components (three pin, so I think they were regulators) practically welded to the back panel, and smoke was bellowing out of the device, so I cut the (woefully inadequate) battery ribbon cable with shears in an effort to stop the short circuit, but by that time it was too far gone.

I picked it up with a shovel and carried it to the end of the driveway, and gently set it in the street. It erupted a few moments later. Catastrophic failure, one of the worst battery fires I’ve ever seen. There wasn’t much left of it, so naturally Planet Computers won’t do anything for me. $700-ish down the toilet.

I keep thinking about what would have happened if I hadn’t had to go back in that room. It absolutely would have caught fire, and very likely set my house on fire, as it was near curtains, bedding and furniture.

I will never buy or use anything from Planet Computers ever again. I take exquisite care of my devices, and the only one I’ve ever dropped was an XZ2… and that wasn’t even my fault. I stored the Cosmo in a Pelican case with custom foam, even… whenever I was traveling or not charging/using the device. I never dropped it, and it looked brand new.

Hilariously, I’m more upset with their abandonment and abysmal support than I am with the fact that the device spontaneously self destructed.

1 Like

Does not work on my Xperia 10 ii, also could never get MMS working from Mint Mobile… Switched to T-Mobile because of issues getting Mint Mobile to function at all overseas…

Is anyone interested in a SFOS USA meetup? It’s been cool to see so many sailors at the Vienna and Lausanne meetings, perhaps we could do something similar. We’re more spread out than the Europeans but we could either choose a city to meet in person (and rotate to a different region next time) or do a virtual hangout to maximize attendance.

I’m in the NE corridor and could suggest a meetup in NYC or thereabouts. I’m open to other options too. Reply in thread or DM if this sounds interesting.

6 Likes

There’s about thirty of us now in San Antonio, Texas. Two I know of in Indiana. Few people I’ve onboarded in Jersey City too. Only problem is everyone is dispersed all over the US. Maybe some sort of online group to share issues, solutions and ideas to make the platform beter suited to the NA markets.

2 Likes

I wonder if there are any Canadians here (ducks and runs!)

1 Like

did that phone work with 4g lte I have a x2a and it stopped working but i was not on redpocket’s tmobile next work… I am missing sailfish now that im on a windows phone. I would like to get back to sailfish without have to have a ski sized phone(sony 10 whatever) its just to big and dumb. This xz3 looks interesting can you share more… thanks

Important to note that I think at the moment you can’t use Sailfish on T-Mobile. I have a 10 ii which is unable to register and gets kicked off of their network. I was able to reproduce it on Android with Sony’s official version until I updated Carrier Services. Seems like SFOS is kicked off until they catch up there.

Hm. My 10iii is working just fine on T-Mobile postpaid (Magenta), including calls, data, tethering, and MMS. No unusual drops that I’ve noticed. I remember having network drop issues on a 10 and 10ii, although that was about a year ago, long before VoLTE was enabled.

Are others having this issue with the10ii?

1 Like

My 10iii has been working fine in T-Mobile in USA, as I have previously posted. But to encourage you further, my son has had a 10ii and only yesterday I finally took the time to get the VoLTE configured with hackman’s prescribed settings. Works beautifully and, as he points out in his post, MMSes can even be received when on WiFi. I even changed my MMS settings on my 10iii to match and functionality looks normal.

The thing I had to do in July was call T-Mobile tech support and update our accounts to show VoLTE compatible. They did some sort of reset, told me to reboot phone, and all was well and had been since.

2 Likes

Do you remember what those settings were? This thread is long enough that I’m having trouble finding it.

I’m slowly getting things to work but still have problems with SMS/MMS. Would like to figure out group messaging too. I did talk to a very helpful tech person at T-Mobile and they did say that my 10iii will work on their network using SFOS with no issues so it sounds like a settings thing?

there is no group mms in sailfishos

Interesting. I was told by t-mobile that my 10ii was supported until after tons of calls and ages of them doing “verification” I was told that the 10ii was not supported by their network and I’d have to get a new phone. I wonder if they’ll lock out the iii eventually too.

Here’s the link:

1 Like

can you please format the code example - it is useless if not formatted
thank you

It’s a link to elsewhere on this forum. You can click the arrow at the top right to expand it (where it’s already formatted), or click the blue titlebar to visit the post itself.

2 Likes

hi all,

what is the current status of sailfish is the US? I recently tried to get a xperia 10 plus working, but i am unable to get calls on ATT. Everything else works except the VoLTE. From what it looks like, i need to get the 10 iii phone. However, I am not sure what carrier will work with that phone. I am hoping Google Fi could work with that phone.

I use a t-mobile sim1 and Swedish 3 as sim2. Both works sort of fine in Colorado. Although the Swedish sim works fine with data/calling/sms, volte and mms is no go. On the other hand, mms doesn’t work well in Sweden either. With the T-Mobile sim everything works fine, even Volte.
I use my 10iii with 2 sims, although I prefer my XA2, but then Volte is no go.

1 Like