Sailfish in the USA

I don’t know. If by this expansion they just mean removing the stupid geo IP block from their web site not much will probably change.

US Linuxites will be a bit more critical, yes, but as a Linux user for the past few years, I’ve learned to live with these trials and tribulations. Linux is about options, and Sailfish provides users with a cohesive, clean and great-looking OS and interface that none of the other Linux phones on the market can or have offered yet.

The ciritical points could be from the staunch open-source crowds, who will point out Silica’s closed-source nature, despite the rest of the OS being open. They might argue that Sailfish X is not a suitable way of offering the product, especially with such a limited array of supported devices, which are already difficult to purchase in the US even when they’re available, although the same can be said of Purism’s Librem 5, which comes with their exclusive PureOS. They might argue that the lack of Flatpak and Appimage support makes software support all but nonexistent, but that would just be ignorant of the fact that we do still have a terminal, and beyond that, software still needs to be ported to aarch64 if they’re coming from a desktop.

At this point, the worst particulars are going to be the things people need to be usable. Mobile network support with VoLTE and 5G will be integral, improved network juggling between wi-fi and mobile, and the web browser issue, which is definitely improving with each release, but is still always behind by several leagues.

I expect the most we’ll see is basic software improvements combined with the removal of Jolla Store geo-blocking and the introduction of USD pricing. Jolla is already supporting every version of the devices they release SFX for. My XA2 is an H3123, US model with all the bells and whistles that come with that, it works just fine under a T-Mobile MVNO, I can download apps from the Jolla Store, I get software updates likes everyone else, and I’m typing this message up on my XA2 in the native browser right now with a Logitech K480 bluetooth keyboard. SFOS is matured, but it still has a long way to go.

1 Like

Holy sh*t! I haven’t been using Sailfish OS for the last several months now due to it being borderline unworkable with my previous job (we used a lot of MMS to communicate) and the looming death spell. Decided to check the blog and forums today on a whim. I’m so excited!

US Linuxites will be a bit more critical, yes, but as a Linux user for the past few years, I’ve learned to live with these trials and tribulations. Linux is about options, and Sailfish provides users with a cohesive, clean and great-looking OS and interface that none of the other Linux phones on the market can or have offered yet.

It doesn’t even need to wow Linux users IMO. I use Windows on basically everything and I had a Windows Phone during the WP8 days. It’s just better to use than the other mobile OSes.

1 Like

Any solutions to the MMS problem? The inability to download images, iPhone messages, and group texts without multiple resets is kinda getting old….

1 Like

Make sure you have the correct MMS settings. Search the forum, it will offer some hints. It doesn’t work out of the box, but mine works perfectly fine once configured correctly for my specific network.

I do have the correct MMS settings. I have checked them several times. The problems I’m having are identical to @808 's and @WedgeStratos described in this thread. Fails to download, have to toggle off wifi and in and out of airplane mode several times, sometimes reset the phone, and still sometimes I just can’t get an MMS. In a world where I’m often cc’d on group texts and iPhones default simple messages to MMS formats, this is a lot of missed messages…
Not complaining, just wondering where we’re at with a fix.
I’m on TMobile, but happy to switch if that solves the problem.
Also doing a deep dive on VoLTE stuff.

1 Like

Have you tried canceling it and restarting the download. That used to work for me when mine was working wonky (since resolved). And I had to have wifi off for it to work.

I also found multiple settings for T-mobile (now on AT&T reseller), and tinkering with those also helped.

US user here. Putting it out there incase it’s not known by others. Slapping a data only SIM from TMobile, Mint, RedPocket or USMobile combined with S1P or Grandstream Wave (android) works pretty well. SMS/MMS work with Granstream Wave. I’ve made several improvements to make S1P more reliable and feature complete (daemon from boot, ring/answer over lockscreen, SMS, proper contacts), but without the sources it’s impossible for me to implement SSL. If anyone wants to get after unmaintained to release it, I’d be happy to share my changes. The VoIP provider I’ve been using with good results is voip.ms (https://voip.ms/en/invite/MzMwNzMz if you want to use my referral code). Using this approach on 2 x XA2 Ultra (non-technical family) and 10 II (personal/development).

3 Likes

@svalmont I’m happy to hear more about the multiple TMobile settings you tried, in case I’m missing anything. I typically cancel and restart download, or go airplane mode and reconnect, or reset entirely.

Hi @hackman238 and welcome! Yes, many of the users above are also working with data-only SIMs and SIP apps too. I’d prefer to do that only as a last resort … maybe come July 22…

I put my solution in the forum when I found it. More or less, I looked up multiple sites what the settings were and tried different ones until it ended up working out. I don’t have T-mobile anymore, so I can’t just look up my settings for you.

Yeah its a pain… so here is a screen shot of my setting…im.on RedPockets…I was on TMobile.the I went to mint and now on RedPocket… i typed and retyped these same settings in over and over… I tried so many thing short of getting into an airplane (I’m a low time. pilot) and dropping this sumbish out the window from.altitude into a volcano… but then.I remembered… its not the phone… its the poorly written and tested software. I would add some snaps of messages that still have notnot downloaded but the message app crashes if you close it so I have to reboot this flipping thing before I can open the message app again.

I rebooted…Jolla Devs…the thing has been spinning since January… what is wrong with this os??? Honestly.

Just remember to stay the minimum requested 2,000 ft above the surface if the volcano is located on National Park Service ground :rofl:

3 Likes

I set my protocol to IP, not IPv6. That helped me.

3 Likes

I think IPv6 is somewhat broken on sailfishos anyways…

bro its all broken… they should call it brokefish…
But Im going to stick with it!

1 Like

Interesting ATT updated their devices and two of the Xperia 10s are on there

1 Like

hmmm interesting development.
I did contact Sony support shortly after they released this: Status of Xperia Phones after 3G Shutdown (3G Sunset) by US Wireless Carriers | Sony USA to ask if they would still support the Xperia 10 i3113 and their answer was yes. But still, it looks like the VoLTE rollout from Jolla will affect the 64bit machines, which get terrible signal, and not the 32bit one that will still have some semblance of service post 3Gpocalypse. At last check TMobile, Mint, ATT and other subsidiaries flat out labeled my 10ii as incompatible with their network, and the best I got with an IMEI for a potential 10iii was “partially compatible”.

Apart that one could always change its imei to a more compatible one, I really wonder up to which point a compatible imei would really be enforced/ incompatible phones would be excluded from the network? Exclusion would not only limit the number of available devices but also hinder e.g. travellers to roam on the network, while these are always very welcome since roaming costs are a very welcome extra charge…

I had to give in and stop using the XA2 and Sailfish - The MMS issues, memory management, the low storage (which isn’t helped by only having 18 of the 29GB on the device) and the degrading battery life started to grate on me. I’m a Mint user currently using the 10iii (XQ-BT52) and it’s been perfectly fine despite the middling compatibility and missing bands. At least where I live, LTE has been consistent (often I’m getting “LTE+” whatever that is) and Fast.com reports typically solid 35MB/s down speeds. I haven’t had a chance to see how 5G should perform, I believe I have to be closer to my city’s downtown for it, but with how this phone’s performing right now, I have no doubt that it’ll be fantastic from a hardware level.

I guess much like Blackberry 10, my time with an alternative OS is over. It was a fun ride at least.

1 Like

I am glad to hear that about the 10iii! Maybe once sailfish incorporates a VoLTE toggle that will be a real option….

1 Like