Sailfish Community News, 29th August 2024 - C2 update

the new version of the telephony binder interface

Is it what is visible in this ofono-binder branch ? I’m completely ignorant on the topic, but from the commit messages, it looks like this new oFono plugin is using AIDL (Android Interface Definition Language). It sounds to me like an Android version of D-Bus, am I right ? If so, does it mean that using this interface would allow to be generic wrt. the device modem and its Android drivers ? Does Sony phones have support for this Android interface ? And bonus question : if it’s generic, does it also mean that community ports could use the (yet to be done) VoLTE implementation ?

10 Likes

My question from the other thread still stands — do you think asking Sony as a community to hurry up with the drivers is a good idea?

I read that as meaning anything that’s been discussed is with the current blobs, some things not working, which can be fixed later.

Of course if nothing works at all, there’s a misunderstanding that needs to be rectified :wink:

1 Like

We do have an active communication channel and cannot push more it takes what it takes.

11 Likes

Enigmatic choice of words.

In this case, I will peacefully act on my own.

That is the branch for development for using AIDL telephony interfaces with additional changes in libgbinder and libgbinder-radio. AIDL support for the non-VoLTE cases is generic and can be used on any devices which need it. Newer Android versions are moving to using AIDL for all hardware features while older versions used HIDL for those. Sony devices still use HIDL for telephony interfaces but at some point their future devices they will also move to AIDL because Android requires that now for new hardware platforms.

As for VoLTE in the C2 device, it uses a hardware vendor specific interface (unisoc) similarly as Sony and other Qualcomm devices use a different vendor specific interface (qti) so the VoLTE support currently being implemented will be useful only for unisoc devices. For Qualcomm device the already existing qti VoLTE-plugin is still used as before.

13 Likes

Thank you @mal, that’s clear explanations. Too bad that VoLTE still requires to use vendor specific interfaces. But it’s not so surprising due to the numerous pieces / options at play (I mean for instance how carriers handle SMS when VoLTE is registered, how fallback to 3G is handled…).

Well, “RPN” (reverse polish notation) is sure a typo. And why not picking up spectacle's word-play on “spec files”?

Hence my suggestion is to state:

spectacle, a Python tool to generate RPM spec files …

5 Likes

VoLTE really is the Achilles Heel of FOSS and FOSS-ish phone projects. Once 2G and 3G go dark where a user (and their phone) lives, device choices go way down.

1 Like

wordle really is my favourite game on sailfish. It’s nice to read as code, too :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Mine is Lines. It’s also made by Slava. It’s so addictive that I can’t recommend it to anyone.

4 Likes

The controls for jewel rush are very comfortable, I may consider switching some of my tetris-like games to such a control system and replace the thumbsticks and buttons

3 Likes

What’s your high score? :slightly_smiling_face: I enjoy wordle and lines both.

1 Like
  1. It’s actually the only time I’ve managed to get over 1000. And for wordle, after this I figured I can’t beat it and quit playing (no I didn’t):
2 Likes

Impressive, I’ve never get over 500.

Nice! I play in a social way. My GF and I play together, switching between German and English.

Often, a sequence of 3 or 4 words produces a nice frame for a strange Haiku!

Wordle is a properly good game on SFOS.

having just tried it today (grand total of 169!) I’m wondering how LONG it takes to get to 1000 !?? I think that’s pretty impressive!

Where do you folks get those scores? I played the game, but I don’t remember (and played it again now) any scores recorded - sure, the stats page is amazing now but… Am unable to see a score.

I’d say it’s between 10 to 15 minutes.