Sailfish Community News, 18th April 2024 - Xperia 10 IV & V

No itā€™s not in 4.5, looks like weā€™ve been waiting for it 15 months (Xperia 10 iii: make Google assistant button a camera trigger - #41 by nephros) and counting

4 Likes

Yes i tried it also today, out of curiosity, but it wasnā€™t working. At this point i feel sorry for jolla employees. Theyā€™re doing great work and all i can read in this forum is that this isnā€™t working and that isnā€™t working. Iā€™m very glad that i can use a linuxphone as a daily driver, with oled display and android support and Iā€™m excited for the 4.6 release and Iā€™m also excited for the xperia 10 iv and v support. I even ordered an xperia 10 v, i hope its audio services are more stable than on 10 iii, so i could give it to my girlfriend as a replacement for her 10 iii. If not i have another device to experiment with and will give her my 10 ii or a gigaset gx 4 pro with sfos, if i manage to get it booting on it. I think i can live with disappearing audio. Thanks to jolla for making this possible. itā€™s really great fun finding out which device has which advantages and disadvantages. So far i like sfos on the xperia 10 ii the most, but maybe that will change with 10 v, or maybe even iv.

8 Likes

Well if you like linux on phone and tinkering you could have had this feature 1.5 years ago (og mce tweak was from August 2022), not sure if covid or war or restructuring or too many levels of approvals delayed a community provided feature that long, hopefully other community-developed-now features (browser upgrade?) wonā€™t linger in limbo for that long

2 Likes

As you may have realized that the fix that youā€™re pointing was closed not merged. The issue is fixed elsewhere in the xkeyboard mapping and droid-config.

4 Likes

When the RC?? My Jolla C awaits it! :smiley:

1 Like

I think you will find the answer somewhere in the When is planned 4.4? thread :rofl: :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

well, i just checked jolla-camera, and it ignored it. it does use the volup button though.
i mapped eventid=201 to cam_full in sf-button-monitor when 10III came out and never looked back.

more importantly, unless i am missing something important, using the physical button cannot affect the camera1 focus model issue. only updated binaries from sony can truly fix it, as the bug affects stock sony android, aosp, and sailfish. (of course, switching to camera2 api everywhere would bypass the issue completely and is the ideal solution, but the bug would still be there if you went looking for it)

i DO use the physical button sometimes (using patched mce or sf-button-monitor), and before i found out about camera2 working, it made focusing very slightly harder because of the slight motion of the camera from pressing the button

So when they tell you, itā€™s planned for next week, in reality is next month? Jollaaa :joy::joy:

No, itā€™s just every time someone asks, the actual date shifts by a week (this has been proven by empirical observation people in chats saying so).
And as people canā€™t shut up about it, these delays accumulate.

11 Likes

Oh man, didnā€™t know that. Okay then, wonā€™t talk about it anymore. Take your time Jolla, nobody hurries you :wink:

The update shall come with ~100% probability on Monday, April 29th, if valid during April.
However, not on Friday before the weekend or on next Tuesday, April 30 th, before the 1st May. This is if the old signs are correct. Of course, we can be pleasantly surprisedā€¦

3 Likes

Jolla only releases software on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

So, either 30/04 or 03/05 are the next ones. No release on week 19 because of a public holiday.

Probably before the 20th of May, because of the AI project.

May 20 will be the official announcement of Jollaā€™s first AI product.
Mobile OS maker Jolla is back and building an AI device | TechCrunch

Anyway, we should stop talking about it; the release has already been pushed back to 2025. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Also May 1st is Vappu/Vappen/May Day. It would be a pretty bold move to release software update on April 30th and then have a day off the next day. (Sorry for another push back!)

1 Like

I did not know that!

So, 03/05 or week 20 then.

Might be wrong (didnā€™t check), but I think it has actually already happened.

1 Like

The 10 iv & v will use the kernel mentioned in the open devices webpage (5.4) right??

Xperia 10 V SIM+uSD+eSIM XQ-DC54 Android 13
5.4 / 13 NA/NA 4.6.0
Sauna
Xperia 10 IV SIM+uSD+eSIM XQ-CC54 Android 13
5.4 / 13 -ā€œ- -ā€œ-

2 Likes

oh wow thatā€™s news! The Jolla C is now in unsupported devices btw :frowning:

i have a question that i donā€™t see the answer to. since 10 IV + V will be available without commercial features, does that mean we will not be able to purchase a license for those devices? will it only be available in the free-trial downloads until app-support is available?

What I understood was: Jollyboys are not satisfied with the blob from Sony to build SailfishOS upon, and that SFOS will be published in a beta stage for the IV and V.
I trust they will work towards a fully supported phone, including paid license for AAS. (I already bought a second hand V, which fuels my hope.)

1 Like