Sailfish browser is too 'unusual' for godaddy webmail

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100% (always)
OSVERSION: 4.4.0.72
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 II - Dual SIM - xqau52 - xqau52 - 0.0.2.152 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: English (US) (user: en_US, os: en_US.utf8)
REGRESSION: not specified

DESCRIPTION:

Tried to.access.email hosted by godaddy.com, but I can’t get past the SSO page which gives error that browser is unusual ‘try disabling ad blockers . . .’

PRECONDITIONS:

You need to have an email address hoated by godaddy.com

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Browse to Sign In in Sailfish browser.
  2. Dismiss the ‘download newer browser app’ warning since these only point to android and ios apps
  3. Enter login credentials as prompted and tap ‘Sign In’ button.
  4. Popup appears with ‘browser is unusual . . .’ message (see screenshot). Login doesn’t happen, returned to credentials page.

EXPECTED RESULTS:

Expected to.see.webmail imterface similar/identical to the desktop linux Firefox browser version, read and manage email, etc.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Can’t log in, service complains about browser, dumped back to credentials page. Repeated attempts yield same results.

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: no
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: none specified

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Update browser notice and unusual browser popup
Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled

screenshots…

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.9+git4

I’ve seen this too, but only with GoDaddy when trying to set up an Office365 account managed by them. Essentially because the browser can’t cope with their login page (which is part of the 2FA) you cannot set up the account at all on SFOS native email. For Office365 accounts that go directly to the Microsoft login page the browser works fine and you can set them up with no problem.

Please, be constructive. Such comments doesn’t belong here.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say the browser is shit but any website which wants to force me to use a special browser…
Why is the website not only saying: “You are using an unusual browser, we can’t guarantee, that every functionality of this website is working like expected, but let’s hope for the best!”

7 Likes

No kidding. A generic web portal to email isn’t (or shouldn’t be) rocket surgery, especially since it’s been a solved problem for over a quarter century. But progress marches on, for various values of ‘progress’. I probably should complain to godaddy as well since I’m paying actual money for the service, and it’s not just a matter of sfos browser web incompatibility.

2 Likes

This is mere hearsay, but many people seem to be unhappy with godaddy’s services.

If you want recommends for email and/or website provider, I might be able to help.

Yeah, it’s all bullshit ‘modern’ javascript crap. Just watching that crap load in the browser’s developer tools is enough to make your stomach turn. I’ve done a bit of modern (vue) stuff and it’s amazing how bloated and brittle it is. A pox on modern js frameworks. Edit: not that I wouldn’t mind modern ECMAscript support for QT, though.

1 Like

maybe SFOS users should start spamming GoDaddy for removing that stupid dialog and doing it the way @Fellfrosch mentioned?

Godaddy is a large American hosting company with circa 21 million customers. They won’t have any interest in ‘bending’ to make their systems work with a comparatively small number of SFOS users.

This could also be added to the long list of broken sites in Browser is blocked by Akamai and Cloudflare

Update on upgrading to 4.5.0.21. Browser remains too unusual for gidaddy webmail.

Report it to them.  

The thing I don’t understand is why a website/server provider wouldn’t allow IMAP access to the email addresses they provide.

They outsourced the email to Microsoft . . .