Sailfish Browser Fairfone webpage causes reboot

The native sailfish browser crashes on the xperia 10 iii after loading the page for some time.
Fennec on Android loads the page pretty quick without problems

1 Like

Yes, confirmed! … and more chars.

2 Likes

This is not a browser crashing problem. This is a reboot. Way different issue.

I know, although the crash and the reboot might have the same cause but lead to different behavior on different devices. Therefore i reported the behavior on the 10iii

3 Likes

@eson your xa2ultra rebooted?

I just retried it. The funny thing is, that it crashes even if you restart the browser and immediatley abort the pageload, then go to another page and wait for a few seconds (although not always).

Journalctl says “killing sailfish-browser on behalf of droid media codec” thus maybe a problem with media on the site and a faulty codec?

1 Like

I’m not sure of the mechanics behind the reboot. It’s not a train smash tho as I rarely use SF browser. Mostly only for this forum.

Confirmed on Xperia 10. Browser is killed but no reboot

No. I have X10III only.
No reboot, just app crash.

There was recently another site discussed that did the same. I made some changes to the browser’s settings (about:config) that stoppped it.

I can load the page in your OP without crashing the browser, but damn that’s a heavy page.

1 Like

Same here. Desktop version makes it to the cookies dialogue just before crashing.

I also had to restart Fennec under Android support as well. Strange.

1 Like

I tried with xa2ultra, did reboot after competing cookie dialogue

1 Like

FWIW: M

X10iii on SFOS 4.4: Browser crash yes (taking some processes with it through OOM killer), but device reboot no.

1 Like

I played a bit around with the page to eliminate the part that causes the crash, but no conclusion yet

2 Likes

It’s just oom, with 9gb swap on XIII the webpage doesn’t crash, but by the time you scroll to bottom 2.5Gb swap is used on top of the 2.7Gb ram, unsustainable

1 Like

Ditto. I found it interesting that the first page ‘didn’t’ crash since it’s one huge animation. I hate these pages.

3 Likes

Xa2 .24
Crash: yes
Reboot: no
But I crashed seeing the price :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

In Pinetab 2, the page is opened without a crash. (There is 8GB of RAM.)

1 Like

That was a little lazy. Once again: The web page discussed here does not crash for me.

Checking it on my desktop computer (Linux/Firefox) it didn’t crash either, and it did not take too much RAM, a few 100M iirc.

The same happened earlier with this site, and for me this post fixed it reliably.

In other words, the page discussed here not crashing my phone might have something to do with having previously applied these settings. Try it.

Mozilla now shipping separate proxy load balancer for wayland:

Wonder if this would work on the phone (and if that issue is responsible for crazy memory usage on some sites, could be behind some crashes at least):

Martin Stransky with Red Hat wrote Wayland-Proxy as a C++ version of a prior proof-of-concept written in Rust. Wayland-Proxy can work either as a standalone application or a library called upon by Wayland apps.

Edit: does compile on phone (just needs {} around ‘false’ on line 51 of .h file and -pthread added to compile), but no difference when running browser through it, still memory hog of a page

2 Likes