Sailfish Browser crashes after removing ~/.mozilla and some more paths

Reproducibility: 100%
OS version 3.4.0.24
Hardware Xperia X (f5121)
UI language nl_NL
Regression Haven’t tested earlier versions

Description

I wanted to totally reset the browser after video playback stopped working in all websites — I’ll make a bug report for that as well when I manage to figure out how to reproduce it. Since clearing data via the settings didn’t work, I removed directories related to the browser, but ever since then, the browser crashes when it has loaded any page.

Steps to reproduce

1. Remove the following paths:
    • ~/.mozilla
    • ~/.cache/org.sailfishos/sailfish-browser
    • ~/.local/share/org.sailfishos/sailfish-browser
  2. Go to settings → apps → Browser → privacy → clear
  3. Kill and restart the browser
  4. Open any webpage (not sure if going to private browsing mode matters)
  5. Close the browser again
  6. Start the browser again

Once the page has been loaded, the browser should crash.

Expected result

The browser doesn’t crash

Actual result

The browser crashes

Additional information

$ sailfish-browser 2> browser.txt yields the following file

[D] unknown:0 - Using Wayland-EGL
[W] unknown:0 - Unable to open bookmarks  "/home/nemo/.local/share/org.sailfishos/sailfish-browser/bookmarks.json"
[D] onCompleted:106 - ViewPlaceholder requires a SilicaFlickable parent
Attempting load of libEGL.so
=============== Preparing offscreen rendering context ===============

Followed by garbage consisting of unprintable characters and other nonsensical mess.

Besides this, I’m not sure if this is really a bug when I’m messing with the internal state of the application. But any help on how to get the browser in a working state would be appreciated.

4 Likes

I think already done for you:

1 Like

Had the same problem. With 3.4 you can solve this by creating a new user, which will have the default /.mozilla sub-directory created for it. Copy this with devel-su cp -r and change ownership recursively to your user.

I would like to know how to reset Sailfish Browser profile. I thought it was as easy as removing ~/.mozilla/mozembed folder but seems like it is not the right way. Does anybody know it?

I don’t know what happened, I left the Sailfish Browser alone for some days and suddenly it no longer crashes? I won’t be touching the .mozilla directory anymore for a while, that’s for sure.

The $HOME/.mozilla/mozembed used to be right profile path. In addition of removing that profile directory in the past you needed to run /usr/lib/oneshot.d/browser-update-default-data oneshot script.

Nowadays profile is located at $HOME/.local/share/org.sailfishos/browser/.mozilla and you don’t need to run oneshot script after removing profile.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I’ve tagged this topic as “fixed” to make it easier to keep track of open issues.