Sailfish and ProtonVPN

I tried using ProtonVPN on Sailfish X and it didn’t work. Saw the update for Sailfish 4 and it mentioned better VPN service, however I am still not having any luck. Trying to attach a video here of what is does, anyone else run into this? Not that it matters but I’m using an Xperia 10.

Download the OpenVPN file and use that to create an OpenVPN connection, doesn’t that “just work”? If not, can you share what errors you get (minus personal information) in your journalctl?

Works perfect here.
Do you use the ovpn-file? Have you made sure, that you use the right password for it? ProtonVPN gives its own password for the files… it’s not the one you use to login into your account on the webside!
Good luck!

There was a thread on TJC about ProtonVPN on SailfishOS which may be of help if you wasn’t aware of it yet.

Got these updates from ProtonVPN support concerning the topic:

“ Unfortunately, none of the Android VPN apps are supported. And ProtonVPN is not tested, nor it is supported by ConnMan. All VPN support comes from what ConnMan supports. Kindly note that the application is not officially tested and optimized for custom ROMs, OSes, or Sailfish for example, therefore, we are unable to guarantee that it would work. However, I would like to collect some additional information and forward this to our development team so they can look into this further in the upcoming period and possibly work on optimizing the application for Sailfish.“

Your problem is that perhaps you are trying to use the “app”. Don’t use the “app”. Use the native VPN connection, which has openvpn, which is what ProtonVPN uses. Much better than the “app”, much safer, etc…

Thanks @Maus for the link.

Having just tried to follow the advice on TJF to access ProtonVPN using an OpenVPN configuration file and VPN in Settings, I encountered a problem.

The instructions are fine as far as they go (NB the Router Config file from ProtonVPN seems to be the one to Download rather than a Linux one).

The issue I had was following the instructions in:
5. Go to “Account” in ProtonVPN for your credentials and copy them into the input boxes on your phone.

That sounds simple but there are two sets of IKEv2 credentials, The Username and the Password to enter. These are many characters long and Copy and Paste is the only way to reliably enter these.

Having copied and pasted one part of the credentials e.g. the username, you need to switch Apps to copy the second part (Password). This causes the dialogue box to close and the part you have just entered is forgotten!

This seems to be a major issue with this part of the Settings App design since the swiping Left to switch Apps shouldn’t close the dialogue, but does. It is therefore impossible to copy and Paste both the Username and Password so you can’t complete the setup that way.

The solution I found was to create an OpenVPN password file (a plaintext .txt file that just contains your ProtonVPN IKEv2 username and password) to which you point in the “Authentication Settings” part of the VPN Settings.

Having entered my credentials that way I seem to be connected to ProtonVPN.

1 Like

The topic is Sailfish and ProtonVPN, and from my previous experience, this would mean OpenVPN. Now I learnt that Proton also offers IPsec, and this is a completely different beast in many aspects. and I can’t help with that unfortunately. I’ve got some IPsec VPN endpoints at hand, but lack a SailfishOS device at this moment until my daughter passes on her old phone to me.

1 Like