Sailbook app and "New Facebook"

Now, putting aside the evilness of facebook for a moment.

I have been using the Sailbook app, and it’s been working fine for the past few years.

FB is now switching to the “New Facebook” design, presumably turning off the “Classic” design completely.

As Sailbook is AFAIK a wrapper around the mobile interface, can we expect this to cause problems for the Sailbook app?

I understand the original author, @DylanVanAssche (hi!) has left the SailfishOS fields, so we can’t reasonably expect them to care a lot.

Is someone up for the task of maintaining Sailbook in the future?

5 Likes

I left indeed the boat, but Sailbook still works for now. I also got the new UI on desktop, but in Sailbook I used some nasty tricks to trick Facebook that Sailbook runs on really old devices and requires the old UI. Not sure how long it will last though :slight_smile:

Thanks for replying!

That is good news for now.

Still I hope someone will step up as a maintainer for future issues.

1 Like

Well done, DylanVanAssch!

Is there a reason why predective text does not work in Sailbook? I have some problems editing text in general.

I really like the concept, though.

That’s for all QtWebkit apps in SFOS. Jolla is moving away from QtWebkit but I will put no work into this.

Ok. Then I know. As you say, it is not only in Sailbook. Thanks for letting me use Facebook in a more secure manner. Thank you!

So, Messages just broke due to changes on FB’s side.

Both for Sailbook and for the new kid, the Facebook Mobile app.

Can this be fixed, and will somebody step up to do it if so?

2 Likes

Messages have broken for me in the stock browser and in firefox, too. Someone can confirm it? I get an error message and can’t access the page.

1 Like

I tested Sailbook, the Facebook Mobile App, Firefox, Opera Mini, Sailfish browser, all bring the error. Solution for me was to install Disa messenger that allows you to write Facebook messages. It seems that the Disa framework is opensource. I will use that for the moment, as long as the other solutions are not usable :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Unfortunately it stopped working with DISA, Facebook must again have changed sth, which forces us to install messenger to read FB messages…

This is possibly also to do with WhatsApp, which Facebook has been a bit more firm about the “privacy” policy on lately. No telling. A shame to see Sailbook likely won’t work for 2021 unless someone’s willing to maintain it.

For me is solution this: Angelfish -> from bottom right menu set Show desktop site -> go to facebook.com (redirect you to mobile version) -> login to facebook -> go to facebook.com/messages

and you get messages in new responsive desktop webpage. Usable in landscape mode and maybe you also want to hide bottom bar (set from same menu as Show desktop site). It is not as good as native app or Sailbook but better than nothing.

1 Like