Rsync on Sailfish

Hi there,

I am trying to backup my mobile using USB network and ssh, but I can’t find rsync anywhere. It’s not pre-installed, nor can I find it in Chum or Jolla Store… Any hints? I think open-repos is not recommended anymore… are there any other package sources I can use?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Have you tried just pkcon-installing it from terminal?
(Yes, it really is that simple)

3 Likes

thanks a lot, you made my day! I didn’t know about pkcon. Where do I find more information about it? Are the packages part of the Jolla distribution?

So just for reference, a devel-su (password from Developer Settings screen) followed by pkcon install rsync did the trick.

3 Likes

Well, it is just one of the frontends for rpm package management, so the application is very much googlable. Others prefer zypper.
Yes, a fair few basic utilities are part of the official repos. And honestly the best way to find out which is to make an educated guess and the use pkcon search, or at least that’s what i do.

3 Likes

Hi,
Is it not slow if you execute rsync on the phone?
If it is, we can also sshfs mount the phone somewhere on the PC and simply rsync on the PC.

I test r̶s̶y̶n̶c̶ rclone on my workplace pc with linux mint. It is faster in terms of speed against the inbuild webdav-mount. r̶s̶y̶n̶c̶ Rclone comes with a handy “installer” for creating new connections. You create once your config for a connection and then mount the resource with a oneliner-command. Much easier like the fstab or dav2fs attemp.

On my SailfishOS Daily Driver Sony XZ2 Compact i using dav2fs but will test r̶s̶y̶n̶c̶ rclone against it and will of course write a test/howto about it.

1 Like

I think you are talking about rclone not rsync.

Huh, it never occurred to me that there’s actually no package mgmt GUI for non-third party repos… Store only has proper apps.

Maybe one of the frontends could be expanded to show the Jolla-supplied tools too…

2 Likes

@nephros
You are right, thank you for the correction.

And then pkcon didn´t find rclone for SailfishOS so no testing for me.

You can install the arm/aarch binary from rclone.org, it works just fine.

Myself I just put it in ~/.local/bin and have that in $PATH but you can also install the RPM from there.

3 Likes

i forget sometimes that we have “a real linux” here, so command line tools can be installed like on linux desktop

Yeah well which is usually exactly NOT downloading software from some random website but rather use the distro repos - but in this case we must because rclone is hard to build :wink:

Vendor Websites like rclone.org are trustworthy and so i don´t see a minor problem here.

I have setup a new topic:

1 Like