[Request] Hide Window

I often find myself with multiple windows open that are non-interactable, (like the terminal window that I launch an X window from, or launch an app from, etc. [there are 3 in the screen shot]).

Would be nice to have the option to hide them…
Maybe it could be an option after long-pressing, when you get the little ‘x’ marks, and there’s a pulldown option to “close all”, there could also be an option to select windows to hide.
Or, maybe there could be an additional desktop you could slide them to…

You could install screen and detach the processes with C-a d.

Or, you could create custom .desktop files for the launch commands and skip the terminal altogether.

2 Likes

Most shells do have a disown command to disown any background processes attached to the shell or you just start with nohup <command> & directly, then it directly forks itself.

2 Likes

Let’s just say that I have not pushed the boundaries of BusyBox that far yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have screen (and tmux and zellij) and have done the .desktop thing some, but I get habitual, or don’t think ahead, and often end up with the windows anyway…

This I did not know about - very nice…

That’s what ctrl-z followed by bg is used for :wink:

2 Likes

At risk of sounding like an Apple user: you shouldn’t (be able to) create multiple instances of one app in the first place. Thus asking for Jolla to cater for it is quite a stretch.

1 Like

Alter which you can issue disown and happily exit the shell! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Btw - I’m American… We like to be given what we want

1 Like