Remove icon texts from app launcher

Hi guys.

I wish to disable the text of icon on app launcher.
If someone know how to do it, please tell me :smiley:

Nice day !

The name/icon are found in /usr/share/applications/MyApp.desktop files.

For example, a desktop file from one of my own apps;

[Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    X-Nemo-Application-Type=silica-qt5
    Icon=sony-srb5
    Exec=sony-srb5
    Name=Sony
    X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.23

Simply remove the name;

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
X-Nemo-Application-Type=silica-qt5
Icon=sony-srb5
Exec=sony-srb5
Name=
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.23

The icon should now be nameless.

I should add; you need to be root to edit the file, so for me, as I use ‘nano’ as my editor of choice, so my command would be the following;

devel-su nano /usr/share/applications/MyApp.desktop
4 Likes

@Edz
Thanks a lot for that.
I will try it soon !
Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Hint:
just comment out the Name line and put another empty one like:

#Name=OriginalName
Name=

4 Likes

Thanks for the idea !
I was thinking about download the files, edit on computer with a script, and upload :smiley:
I will try it soon.

I would rather remove he icons and keep the text. is this possible too?

@danielfinsler
I guess you can. Switch with transparent icons for example.
Not sure if the text of icon is clickable for application launching.
And i think it will be easier with transparent icons to set the size you want.
Think about that ^^

But i don’t remember how to switch icons … i hope someone will tell it to you soon :wink:

Similar to above, exchange

#Icon=Original-icon
Icon=transparent

Icon should be a png and go to /usr/share/icons/ in whatever size you like 86x86 or 256x256 or …
e.g. /usr/share/icons/256x256/transparent.png

ok, that would make for a grid of text with invisible icons which is not a simple list of text items. Reminds me one of my favourites, Quicklauncher, does not work anymore.

/usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/launcher/LauncherGrid.qml Find icon: model.object.iconId and change to icon: null

You can remove truncation mode cod from label area and add text wrap, if you want to see the whole name…

2 Likes

@Levone1
Can you explain me how to modify /usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/launcher/LauncherGrid.qml to remove all the texts in one time ? I suppose that i have to change
visible: !launcherEditMode || isFolder
in something like
visible: false

What does mean || isFolder ?
And i’m using launcher combined patch, will it cause trouble ? Or maybe it can’t work like that ?

Find this code (it’s line 278 on mine):

Label { id: launcherText anchors { top: launcherIcon.bottom topMargin: gridview.launcherItemSpacing left: parent.left right: parent.right leftMargin: Theme.paddingSmall/2 rightMargin: Theme.paddingSmall/2 } horizontalAlignment: implicitWidth > width ? Text.AlignLeft : Text.AlignHCenter truncationMode: TruncationMode.Fade color: down ? Theme.highlightColor : Theme.primaryColor font.pixelSize: gridview.launcherLabelFontSize text: object.title.replace(/\n|\r/g, " ") textFormat: Text.PlainText visible: !launcherEditMode || isFolder }

…and delete the whole thing. Yes, it will probably cause your launcher patch to fail, but there may be a way around it. Maybe ask @coderus… Anyway, you could manually patch whatever functions you use the launcher patch for…

1 Like

Rather than delete/remove the ‘hunk’ (chunk, lump, bit, dollop, smattering, etc) of code, use the star/slash/slash/star method, like this;

/*   <----   slash star
    Label {
        id: launcherText

anchors {
            top: launcherIcon.bottom
            topMargin: gridview.launcherItemSpacing
            left: parent.left
            right: parent.right
            leftMargin: Theme.paddingSmall/2
            rightMargin: Theme.paddingSmall/2
        }
        horizontalAlignment: implicitWidth > width ? Text.AlignLeft : Text.AlignHCenter
        truncationMode: TruncationMode.Fade

color: down ? Theme.highlightColor : Theme.primaryColor
        font.pixelSize: gridview.launcherLabelFontSize
        text: object.title.replace(/\n|\r/g, " ")
        textFormat: Text.PlainText
        visible: !launcherEditMode || isFolder
    }
    */    <---- star slash

However, if you have a patch applied, I would most certainly unapply it before editing this file or you will end up (possibly) with a patch not working and not removable.

2 Likes

@ Levone1 and @Edz
Thank you very much for those explanations!
It’s very nice of you.

They should make it a simple switch in the Settings in Sailfish OS.
Simple feature, lot of users will be happy with it.

1 Like

I tried this method of changing icon titles but apk apps revert to old names on reboot. Is there a way to make the chages persist?

Maybe you need to do similar to this?
https://together.jolla.com/question/228001/how-to-install-custom-android-app-icons/?sort=votes&page=1#228043

thanks for the suggestion Peter. I changed attributes and rebooted, seems to stick for now. If anyone else wants to change app titles be sure to change attributes as root: devel-su chattr +i /usr/share/applications/newname.desktop