Remorse timer layout

But the remorse bar isn’t just for deleting files - that’s the confusion, because as it is, tapping on the ‘x’ is actually a confirmation, so having a trash can might be sensible in the case of deleting a file, it wouldn’t be for other things… I guess there are only so many things the remorse bar is used for, so maybe there could be different logos depending on the situation. Too much codeing for me personally. If I remember right, tje first remorse ‘confirm’ patchactually showed the words “tap to confirm” or something like that…

3 Likes

Now I changed the X into a trash icon, doing the following:

As Levone1 wrote, in the RemorseBase.qml, in the line 178 there is the filename of the icon, but without the filename-extension and with an incomplete/strange path. Little bit confusing, but do not worry about it.

178: icon.source: enabled ? “image://theme/icon-m-input-remove” : “”

This image “icon-m-input-remove.png” is in the directory

/usr/share/themes/sailfish-default/meegotouch/z1.75/icons .

Because I wanted to change the X to a trash icon, and found not a single one on the Sailfish Phone, I downloaded one from the internet. Using GIMP, I set its size to 112 x 112 pixel (the same size as the original X icon), made the background colour transparent and named it “icon-m-trash-remove.png”, to keep the filename at the same number of charakters.

This new icon I added to the directory /usr/share/themes/sailfish-default/meegotouch/z1.75/icons .

In the RemorseBase.qml I changed the line 178 into:

178: icon.source: enabled ? “image://theme/icon-m-trash-remove” : “” .

I tested with deleting some files on the phone and deleting old e-mails. In fact there occurs now the trash icon instead of the X, and this without rebooting the phone! Future will show if this makes sense for other situations where the remorse countdown occurs… and in the mean time I am happy that the hack worked and will think what icon will better express “Do now & don’t wait” or “do immediately”.

Now it is possible at any time, to change this icon, the only thing to do is storing an icon with size 112 x 112 px and name “icon-m-trash-remove.png” in the directory /usr/share/themes/sailfish-default/meegotouch/z1.75/icons .

edit: changed trash icon into check mark, this is really more appropriate.

2 Likes

Because I wanted to change the X to a trash icon, and found not a single one on the Sailfish Phone, I downloaded one from the internet.

Really?, I’m pretty sure there is a trash can icon in the system, at least on my Jolla1;

/usr/share/themes/sailfish-default/meegotouch/z1.0/icons

and the end result looks like this;

3 Likes

nice picture ^^
post must be at least 20 characters

1 Like

Yes, and on XA2 you will find it in

/usr/share/themes/sailfish-default/meegotouch/z1.75/icons
or a simpler (low resolution) one, named icon-l-delete.png:
/usr/share/themes/sailfish-default/meegotouch/icons

NO!

Just no. The check mark (or an ‘X’) confuses the user.
Text on the side says: ‘Tap to undo’
What does the mark now confirms?

I do not want to start that conversation again!
Please read the one on TJC…

3 Likes

There are two possibilities to tap on the remorse timer:

1. on the running timer itself, where the text “Tap to undo” is, and

2. on the little x on the right end of the timer bar, where no text is but only the x.

In fact, a tap to undo on the timer bar (case 1) stops the timer and the deleting process is aborted, and the files or mails or whatever remains. With my linguistic understanding, this is absolutely correct.

Tapping the x (case 2) is a complete different (2nd) function and not labelled in words, so the user has to guess what it means. in fact it does “jump over” or override the timer in the sense of “do immediately - don’t wait”.

Yes - the x confuses the user.
No - the check mark does not.

While the timer is running, I have the possibility to click for 1. abort deleting and 2. delete immediately and don’t wait for the timer, because I want to go on doing something.

It is two possible senseful actions, but only one is labelled in words. Thats all…

Isn’t that so easy? What’s confusing in this function itself? With a little bit better sense matching icon or additional labelling this is a wonderful and beautiful solution in SFOS, I love it! Please keep this function and don’t delete it in next edition!

I disagree. While you might be correct, some user just don’t think that way. The discussion in TJC has been to accomodate those users too. After accidents with the “X”, I removed it for one user.

1 Like

Available patches to solve this:

There should be one for everyone ;).

6 Likes

Thanks for the listing. :slight_smile:
But why should we have the need to use patches when there was a nice solution with a single tap area (for emergency cancel) and a swipe action to dismiss?

This double bad-labeled functionality on a tiny field (edit: without really good distinction of places where to cancel and where to confirm when timer is running) is just the worst I’ve ever seen.
Even the Android way (e.g. deleting a mail on a Samsung device) is not that bad.

And no, neither X nor tick mark nor any other icon will make this completely contrary two functions ever reside on the same tiny panel.

2 Likes

Because I forget always that there is the swipe option! I am less familiar with swipes and use it seldom, actually only for browsing to prev./next page. But I tried it now and it worked. At delete action, swiping quick from the middle of a photo to left or right deletes it immediately while remorse timer is running.

Today I deleted a bunch of photos by pressing this terrible and stupid cross on remorse timer. I did it for the 3rd or 4th time already since new design was introduced and I’m sure I will make this mistake again more than once due to poor usability of this timer.
Moreover there is no trashbin or the restore utility.
The conclision is simple - my data are in danger while I’m using SFOS.

I’m very sorry but I have to quit using SFOS untill it will be fixed. Ideally by all three mentioned ways:

• more usable remorse timer;
  • restore utility;
  • trashbin.

I used SFOS fo about 5 years, I migrated from JP1 to SFOS X, I’m ready to accept the inconveniences that are still quite numerous (such as no NFC support and lack of native apps).
But I can’t put my data on everyday risk of deletion.

8 Likes

The remorse timer should have been left untouched, yeah.

But isn’t there a patch around to remove the x button?
Maybe you won’t have to abandon SFOS just yet

6 Likes

There is a support for NFC in SailfishOS

2 Likes

A fragile device such as a mobile phone is not suited to be the only instance to store important data. Phones and SD cards may fail or get lost or stolen. Flash memory may be reset, file systems may be corrupted.
My suggestion is to use some cloud service to store important data (and keep backups of that data of cause), and to configure mobile devices to synchronize with that cloud.
The remorse timer of SFOS may not be the most intuitive solution, especially because its behaviour changed more than once during the last releases. But it’s no reason to quit SFOS completely.

6 Likes

No backup, no pardon.

Just another benefit of SailfishOS: You can use standard linux tools…

8 Likes

Yes, you are all right.

Reaction is a bit too hard.

But just saying ‘you are responsible to backup’ is not right as well.

• not everybody likes cloud solution
  • not everybody runs a24/7 server himself
  • not everybody is so techy

Think of a holiday where you only have your device, no chance of syncing/backup and you want to clean up before syncing at home.
Oops! :frowning:

@cy8aer thanks for reminding me of restic, already on device but not yet used :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Of course my reaction looks a bit hard. But it is IMHO a form of culture. I for myself am not the perfect backuper but it saves your a… even if you only have a bit backuped. And how often do you hear from friends: “Oh my data is away what can I do?”. Now nothing anymore…

I explicitely did not use cloud solutions. For Syncthing you just need a notebook running Syncthing for the syncing time. For restic you need a sd card an usb stick with OTP-adapter or e.g. a notebook running ssh. And you only need it for backup time.
Of course 24/7 is not the solution. I also restic my device once a week.
For holiday: never touch a running sys… playing around with killing the whole infrastructure is not wise.
Crazy strategy: what about creating tarballs, gpg then and syncthing them with friends? I am a bit sad that there is no haskell port for SFOS because then you could git annex and store parts of your knowledge into tarballs and syncthing them with the knowledge which friend has which part…

And the saying “no backup no pardon” is standard. We do have too much valuable data today so think about backup solutions. Of course there is not the one solution. Copying or tarballing stuff could be enough for you.

And the actual solution with the x button without any separation line to the cancel field in the remorse timer is a big gui mistake I must confirm.

2 Likes

I would add to that: avoid software updates when going on vacation, learned the hard lesson when cssu update on n900 caused camera app to not save anything with no indication of anything being broken. Sure backing up is important but +1 to remorse timer not being super clear (btw is there no ‘undelete’ utility like in old dos times where files would just lose first letter of filename? Nothing like that for flash memory?)

4 Likes

@cy8aer

This was meant to @kandelabra.
(but I agree not written clearly enough)

Anyway, thanks!

How do i can install RESTIC on sailfish os? From terminal ?