[Release notes] Verla 4.2.0

Let’s see… we released 4.0.1 in February, 4.1.0 in May, and 4.2.0 now. I think @pvuorela is better at math than @jovirkku :wink:

9 Likes

…and every release an improvement in useability and functionality.

So I want to say Thank you Jolla, and last but not least, SFOS is the most beautiful phone OS regarding smooth stress free operation!

9 Likes

Thanks for this release. Update went fine with no issues so far :slight_smile:

I imagine that many people here are coming from a engineering background and do know that something is only ready when its done and that hurrying only gets back at you.

If I understand this correctly, you are doing big changes in the background, which is probably more important than keeping a random schedule :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Really annoying is the freeze of some Android Apps like Osmand and Streetcomplete. Seems that the Android crushes an must be restarted. Happens every few minutes on XA2 :frowning:

2 Likes

You have a point vige. But actually, 4.0.1 was the last release of year 2020, just delayed to Feb 2021. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Happens on Xperia 10 II too. I’ve got to restart Android App Service quite frequently. Don’t know what’s causing it!

4 Likes

On my XA2 Android feels more stable. I use mainly fennec, threema, signal, tor browser.

Unfortunately my JBL TUNE750BTNC does not work with calls (X10II), only with music, and that’s a regression. So the Bluetooth vodec clean up didn’t help :frowning:

Actually, I’ll still have to test this with my XA2U, it could be due to armv7hl vs. aarch64 thing, too…

1 Like

A reflash seems to have fixed the issue (for now), so maybe you could give that a go?

I had this on XA2 after a previous update. You don’t by any change happen to be charging your phone on a non-Sony USB charger?

In my case it turned out that the swiping turned near impossible when (and only when) the non-Sony USB-charger was connected. And I was informed other people had had similar issue on some earlier update.

Non Sony USB charger should work without any problems .

Yes, it should, and yet, after one of the Sailfish 4 updates the swiping from side got wonky whenever my XA2 was connected to a USB charger that didn’t come with the phone.

I tested many chargers at that time. Some worked without issue (as did charging from a laptop through a USB cable), but some didn’t. It was weird but it was real.

There was a discussion on TJC about such effects when connected to power on a plane…

I agree. But it’s dangerous to assume that they output nice, smooth and stable DC voltage in my experience at least. Some many are cheap for a reason. They can even have a nice famous brand. :confused: Ten cents less in material cost times million is 100k more crap profit.

2 Likes

seems, the improvements are focused only for for the newest phone model

1 Like

So I have to correct myself: Non Sony charger works good if it’s good quality . Cheap chargers with unstable output voltage will cause malfunctions.

So can first party chargers, seen it myself… Always try a charger or three!

I use some chargers with 2,4 A current, from mobile shop. They have 2 USB Sockets, but I use only one per charger. Works fine !

I never charge my 5v USB peripherals(Sony, headset etc) with a AC charger. I use solar panel for that (connected to 12v Battery and which is connected to a 12v DC USB HUB).

The hub delivers around ~2A at 5v: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/HB-B7C3-Sabrent-USB-3-0-hub/dp/B0797NWDCB/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=USB+hub+sabrent&qid=1631980857&qsid=262-4843803-4548413&sr=8-4&sres=B00JX1ZS5O%2CB0797NWDCB%2CB013XGK53E%2CB00YFQ7M88%2CB00N38TQJC%2CB00L2442H0%2CB01AA6MC7M%2CB08V3PHKR8%2CB0843278SW%2CB08Y3GG82F%2CB07KLBX1NX%2CB0797QGK2X%2CB08RVC6F9Y%2CB078K79G5Q%2CB00EFE9OAE%2CB00ZSZ7VZ4&srpt=MULTIPORT_HUB

Sometimes I also use this: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/AZDelivery-LM2596S-Converter-Voltmeter-Display/dp/B08T1ZR6XG/ref=sr_1_27?dchild=1&keywords=buck+converter&qid=1631980557&sr=8-27 where I limit the 1.2Amp 5v. This also works fine if you know how they works.

Solar power is your friend. Why waste power on AC adapters :wink: