[Release notes] Verla 4.2.0

Yes, that worked, cheers. And the phone did indeed boot fine into v4.2.

Jolla, i’d prefer not to experience a frozen flash process on a generic version upgrade… :smiley:

1 Like

Re: upgrade process apparently frozen at 100%, but works fine if you force a reboot.

While Simerax and I both experienced this on our XA2 based phones (ultra and plus respectively), the upgrade process completed normally on my Xperia X.

Re: clearing password on account restoral: OK, makes sense.
Re: Pull up menu to get more messages - yes, it only loads a small number of additional messages. Would like option to specify how many more (or a range back to a date, whichever is easiest). Having an option to download the entire Inbox would be dangerous, as very large Inboxes (like mine) could cause an unhelpful user experience.

Me too. Very annoying. Luckily I work around it (it seems) by reimporting all.vcf from backup just before the upgrade to restore them.

While charging I do not use the phone, so the experience I got is from normal use. Sometimes it seems to work some other times it’s impossible to do edge swipe. I cannot remember it was so difficult before the last update, or that’s my impression.

4 Likes

I actually suggested a possibility to download all e-mails at once at a community meeting. It was rejected for reasons so insignificant I don’t even remember them (it’s all in the logs). But the suggestion makes perfect sense. Any sensible person knows not to only rely on unknown remote people to store his correspondence. Having a copy is always useful, for so many reasons listing them here would divert the discussion. Thunderbird can do it and so can Sailfish - please add it.

I had officially requested a feature too. So long ago I had forgotten, this is how ignored it was. Anyone who would like the ability to download all of your e-mails, please add your vote.

Have you tried TJC article? I have now 10 GB system partition in Xp10.
In XpX I had also increased the partition size, but I reset it to factory settings, and that restored the partition size to the original small one. And my windows lap top doesn’t recognize XpX anymore, when I use try to resize it (fastboot boot hybris-recovery.img). It’s just “waiting for any device”.:frowning:

1 Like

does anyone can share verla wallpaper?

i love this wallpaper but need 4K version

thanks for your informartion

2 Likes

From TJC: Sailfish OS Update Background Image Path? - together.jolla.com

For the current version of your device;
/usr/share/store-client/graphics
For older versions, ‘Google Images’ I guess.

Haven’t looked, so the path may have changed during the years/releases.

1 Like

HI Mr. Raketti

thanks for your reply, i will check that directory
GOD bless
have a nice day

Regards

I would also expect that, but I have (hopefully not so cheap) Motorola charger with Quick charge, from which my XA2 Ultra does not draw any power - so there seem to be some underlying issues. (I experienced this for all SFOS releases since 3.3)
Instead of charging I observe quickly repeating reconnections. The problem also does not lie in the cable, I tried the Sony one with that charger.

Are you on the latest Windows version? The one released from one year ago had an issue with adb/fastboot.

Apologies for our unclear marketing message.

You can always check the status of the OS releases at this link: Topics tagged release-notes.

Furthermore, your phone will indicate the availability of OS updates in the Events view and at Settings > Sailfish OS updates (if you have the Sailfish licence).

2 Likes

This is a known issue. XA2 does not work with QC.

Sailfish issue or XA2 issue? I thought hardwarewise this should work.

The problem here is that i didn’t know 4.2 was released…

…and I say this as someone with two sailfish phones who checks the forum daily!

The 4.2 forum thread is the early access thread from June, and even though I check it daily it was three days after that I accidentally stumbled overe the release.

The blog post really did not make it clear that it was anything more than pre-release marketing fluff for 4.2, failing to use clear and unambiguous terms like “public release” and “now”.

Examples, the blog title:
“Sailfish OS Verla introduces a new sharing system, camera updates, and more”
Not:
“SFOS 4.2 Verla Released - new sharing system, camera updates, and more”

Examples from the opening text:
“The summer is turning into autumn and it’s again time for a new Sailfish release – the third one this year, having the version number 4.2.0 and bearing the name Verla.”
Not:
“It’s here! She summer is turning into autumn and the moment has arrived for a new Sailfish release – the third one this year, having the version number 4.2.0 and bearing the name Verla. Go get it now.”

Examples from the closing text:
“And there are many more improvements besides; this is only a brief overview of the changes. There have been bug fixes, paper cut UI fixes here and there, and package upgrades. As always. The story will continue and the next upcoming release is already brewing.”
Not:
“And there are many more improvements besides; this is only a brief overview of the changes. There have been bug fixes, paper cut UI fixes here and there, and package upgrades. As always. That’s all we have to say about it, now hit the update function on your Sailfish device.”

Remember; i’m a fan. Two devices. Check the forum daily. No idea…

1 Like

as a rule of thumb you can assume that when a blog post is published, the release is official

2 Likes

IIRC it was due to the handling by the AOSP base, if anybody knows better please correct me.

Thank you, I was not aware of this