Feature request: download all e-mail at once

The only way to download e-mails to the device at present is to constantly scroll down to the bottom and then load a tiny batch. This is completely impractical for any regularly used account. I’d like to request the ability to download all e-mails at once regardless of how long it takes.

4 Likes

I have to ask a Jolla employee for a comment, please. This missing feature severely reduces the usefulness of the e-mail application. The overwhelming majority of users have had e-mails very long before a Sailfish device. This means a large stack of e-mails they can’t read on their device unless they put excruciatingly long hours of scrolling in. I mean, Thunderbird has had downloading of everything since its first versions.

The following patch should add a second entry in the push up menu at the bottom of the email list to get not only 20 more emails, but all:

diff --git a/pages/MessageListView.qml b/pages/MessageListView.qml
index 9b1e5b5..ad81a78 100644
--- a/pages/MessageListView.qml
+++ b/pages/MessageListView.qml
@@ -286,6 +286,13 @@ SilicaListView {
                 emailAgent.getMoreMessages(folder.folderId, getMore)
             }
         }
+        MenuItem {
+            //% "Get all mails"
+            text: qsTrId("jolla-email-me-get_all_mails")
+            onClicked: {
+                emailAgent.retrieveMessageList(folder.parentAccountId, folder.folderId, 0)
+            }
+        }
     }

MessageRemorsePopup {

I can try to make this patch enter officially the email app by kindly asking developpers, but with no guarantee…

4 Likes

@dcaliste outstanding! Sailors, please - you haven’t commented since May when I asked you to but now you actually have a fix as well. I have to ask you to take this request seriously now that it costs you almost nothing to add it.

Sadly the email application is closed source and the git hosting of the source is private. I’m going to make a MR there which will trigger a discussion with the developpers. But this discussion will be private. :frowning:

They may have good reason for rejecting the MR (we will see), like it’s a bandwidth eater for average Joe, it creates issues with the messageModel… I don’t know. It’s not because the patch is simple that it will be accepted.

I’ll comment back when I have something.

I admire your effort. They would perhaps ask for this to only work on wi-fi.