[Release notes] Vanha Rauma 4.4.0.64

With what version did you start using SFOS? To what version would a full reset bring the device? Is your home folder ‘nemo’ or ‘defaultuser’?

Don’t know exactly, I’m using SFOS for three years. Home folder is nemo

Then I suggest to reflash the device as soon as you’ve saved your data on computer or SD card and all your account credentials on paper. Do not rely on SFOS system backups! Then reflash the device with the new system. Don’t install file browser from Jolla Store, it’s outdated and will not work with the new system in a proper way. Install up to date versions of File Browser and other apps from Storeman and/or chum.

There are a lot of problems with paths, if the user home folder is ‘nemo’ and not the new ‘defaultuser’. You can avoid many problems and have an up-to-date system if you reflash your device with 4.4.0.58. Resetting the device e.g. to 3.3 and then updating will cost you hours of time and gigabytes of network traffic, while reflashing is done in half an hour.

3 Likes

Finally flashed. Ok. thanks

1 Like

So I wonder what has eaten additional 300 MB on my device. It is quite a new installation - flashed on December 30, 2021 with 4.3.0.12, then updated to 4.3.0.15 (that’s when it went from 1,6 GB to 1,9 GB), and now after the 4.4 update it went to 2,1 GB but I found a few update leftovers in /var/temp (some partially downloaded large rpm’s left there) and after removing them it went back to 1,9 GB. But that’s it… Can’t find where did those 300 MB go…

I was too optimistic. It wasn’t fixed, it just manifests itself a bit less often. SFOS 4.4 still every now and then forgets hidden WLAN’s SSID (name) and shows it as “Hidden network” (but it clearly recognizes it and lists it as saved network). It takes resetting networking to make it connect, as otherwise even entering SSID and passphrase (it asks for it) doesn’t help.

Sadly, I need to manually resize them first. Large images (e.g. directly from the camera) fail as their file size is too big for an MMS and they are not automatically resized. If I resize a picture manually, I can send it without any problems…

1 Like

When did that happen? I must admit, I don’t read through all the release notes carefully as the upgrades are pretty much forced, and I’ll have to learn to live with how things have changed in any case. A bad habit, I know.
I still have ‘nemo’ after upgrading many times.

Simply putting a symlink solves that issue, why is the symlink not officially included?

2 Likes

It never happened to me. But I read some times, that some old apps, that have ‘nemo’ hardcoded, will not work on a system with ‘defaultuser’ as standard user name. Thats all that I know, I don’t know much about it, I only read about it and therefore I’m careful.

1 Like

With 3.4.0, if my memory serves right.

Same here :wink:

1 Like

SFOS upgrades don’t change username. If it was nemo at first, it will remain nemo. In order to change the username from nemo to defaultuser, the device has to be flahed with a SFOS version that already uses defaultuser.

However, it’s true that there were some rather nasty issues with the username change, as in many places the username was assumed, which led in to home directory being assumed to /home/nemo. This included not only some 3rd party applications, but some Sailfish internal components, too.

6 Likes

Rather the opposite (with older apps). I can see nor reason, why the old, classic username (and home directory) nemo should be problematic.

But ultimately one has no choice: On old, upgraded SailfishOS installations it is nemo, on newly flashed ones it is defaultuser.

1 Like

Yes, you are right. (post must have at least 20 characters)

I had exactly the same problem with Xperia X Dual SIM and this solved the problem, thanks :slight_smile:

It can take a while - 15 minutes, maybe longer if the signal strength seen by the phone is poor and/or it doesn’t have a full view of the sky. It looks like the first attempt after upgrade has lost the almanac, which takes a while (12-and-a-half minutes) to download for the full almanac, which it can only do once it has ‘found’ the first satellite, which itself can take a while when working from a ‘factory reset’ start.
I thought I had a problem, but it was simply impatience, and not understanding how long the first fix can take.

Righto, will give it another go, when I’m outside.

How can I remove partially downloaded update package? Initially the update filesize for download was fine and I was asked to remove storeman and seaprint. However, after removing these 2 programs, the download of the system update restarted from the beginning. This time it was only 70MB and it wanted me to delete all packages that it could find on the system so clearly something went wrong. I am not able to use GUI to check for the update anymore as it wants to install what was downloaded. Therefore, which files do I need to delete so that the GUI searches for the update again?

Normally people tend to ignore the warning just before installing a new system which is - nota bene - not the one that asked for the deinstallation of (in your case) storeman and seaprint. You better do not ignore this one.

The warning which is often ignored (I did that myself more than once) is the one asking you to uninstall most of the system that comes at the start of the installation.

The small size of the update might be caused by the download process taking up, where it stopped before.

So: Absolutely no guarantee but the update might just work if started again. Or it might not.

Better listen first to what people wiser than me might have to say before you brick your device.

That’s because system version and your repos got switched to 4.4.0.58 while the update was downloading, without the actual update. A known bug. Please see this and this.

1 Like

Posting my experience in upgrading to 4.4.0.58
My Xperia X was on 4.1.0.24.
Sfos-upgrade helped me to fix 4.1.0 installation and than update to 4.2.0.21 and than 4.3.
I used post_sfos-upgrade after each reboot.

Update to 4.4.0 was fine but I lost some apps: Depecher is the most critical one.
I fixed the installation by downloading the RPM from github and installing it with rpm -i --nodeps depecher-0.8.3-1.armv7hl.rpm

Depecher is an old telegram app right? Fernschreiber and Yottagram are both newer telegram client apps.