Re-organisation of Jolla company

Watching the market closely, Qt itself is very active there. It is high competition. It could be however that there is demand and Jolla surely can fit.
In my opinion / analyses this is act of desperation because when you are specialized in telecommunication, you do not switch the field completely and write software for automotive.
It could be they are working on Navigation or Entertainment system … but it is not the field Jolla has background … hence … I stand with the hypothesis of desperation. Added to this the fact or rumors that capacity is cooling, Hence the conclusion “Go woke, go broke”.
In fact I do not care, if someone is woke, but it is bad if Jolla goes broke.
And take this with humor, don’t flag, please :slight_smile:
BR

Agree. The EU is not helping, unless there is some Euro-planning call that everyone missed.
A Euro-planning call for an alternative GDPR / privacy ready mobile operating system… :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

The plan is “All sold out” (of course to the US).
I can tell stories, how funding was cut, how competition was destroyed, how science was drained.
It is so pathetic that meanwhile I am ashamed for Brussels! We are heading definitely south.
This is why I am so concerned about Jolla. It is one of the things that are still left over from the world that was half a way normal.

4 Likes

Actually SFOS would be a must for EU seen the GDPR and the fact that we don’t know how much information Google in the US is getting from european devices, and if this data is declared and handled under GDPR. It is a big question mark. But if you followed the law suit of this young austrian law student against Meta, probably EU parlament and also juridiction is influenced by corporations. Probably Google is buying its “monopoly” by paying the right persons. What are thousands or millions if you can make billions…

4 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Re-organisation of Jolla company - Off-topic discussion

1 Like

Yeah guys, paying for a license to access SFOS on every device (be it SFOS X or ported) sounds like a great idea! I am sure that locking developers out from accessing the OS source code either at all or with a paywall would be a successful strategy!1!!

/s

1 Like

I think a subscription model is a reasonable proposition. Somehow a proper business model is necessary in order to survive. We are facing one of the disadvantages of ‘free’ internet. I guess most of us dislike the surveillance capitalism that is behind so many digital services. But developers need a living too, so from a workers point of view payment is fair. Besides, payment can be an incentive to improve the quality of the product. It works both ways: consumers pay and can expect something in return: e.g. a plan, updates, maintenance of the app store.
Angel capital for a start can be nice, funding by the EU too, but being dependent on a national government is problematic.

5 Likes

Multiple posts in this thread received off-topic flags and the discussion seemed to be veering away from the original topic. I’ve therefore split off those posts into their own thread in the hope that the conversation here can remain on track.

If anyone (especially the Original Poster) is unhappy with this or feels I’ve broken the thread of conversation please let me now privately.

39 Likes

I was meaning the creation of an intermediate “Predictive only+Jolla Support” license, to be priced around the 60% following of the License with Android Support, following the typical pricing strategies.

A free version is helpful for the newcomers.

2 Likes

For Android Support based on Alien Dalvik there is no future unless Alien Dalvik turns completely open-source. The company who developped and support Alien Dalvik is Swiss but French controlled and France is betting on /e/OS and Murena 2 smartphone. Therefore, there is no way that solution will be further implement and updated unless it turns completely open-source. RIP.

To my understanding the original developer of Alien Dalvik, Myriad Group, has sold the rights to Jolla, and Jolla now continues the development.

8 Likes

They cannot afford to develop even their own system and the “energy from community” approach which at the moment is focused only on applications do not seem being able to fulfill this lack. Hence, it is quite improbabile that they can develop Alien Dalvik further.

Moreover, unfortunately, the rights of distribution and develop under a NDA do not let us to hope that those rights will help us to free the Alien Dalvik source code in a bankrupt procedure. However, there are other solutions (e.g. WayDroid) to go for supporting Android app running on a Linux system.

This puts us in the position that we are not in a desperate need for anything but relaxing and waiting or even better works for something else which will be useful in the near future.

Actually the Android App Support (as it is called nowadays) was the most active field of development in the recent years, with frequent version bumps. With respect to the focus on automotive this also makes sense, since that is based on the same framework. I expect that the development of Android App support will continue in the future, IF Jolla can sort out their financial problems.

16 Likes

I really hope that Jolla can find a good solution to be able to stay afloat and continue to develop the fantastic Sailfish OS (my favorite and the only os I want to run on my phone). Hopefully we get to see SFOS evolve for more years to come.

8 Likes

Actually I don’t like the idea of a subscription model for a mobile OS and I hope that Jolla will not introduce that.

3 Likes

Taking out your frustration on Jolla, here on Jolla’s forum, obviously full of Jolla supporters just leads to more frustration for you. You clearly have programming talent and could be a valuable member of the community if you just learned to get along with people.

App Support is is potentially worth $hundreds of millions for Jolla if they own it. It gets rid of the ‘app gap’ for anyone trying to enter the monopoly. Same for smart TVs, smart cars and presumably new devices in future. If Myriad still own some of it, it is even less likely to be opened.

It also changed a lot when Android switched from JiT to compilation-at-installation. I suspect that was Jolla’s work.

13 Likes

Q: What please is JiT?

Just In Time. So only compiled into low-level code when and as its being run (sort of on demand), rather than having a completely compiled app installed. Used to be called ‘Interpreted code’ in the old days.

4 Likes

I like it very much on SFOS, that the code is readable and can be modified for individual tweaks! Also a phantastic opportunity to learn more about coding.

3 Likes

SFOS app framework is architecturally broken by design and the related business model is not sustainable even for small business. Even if they manage to make sustainable for small size in the future, it cannot scale up profitably in any ways.

In brief: it worth nothing and cannot be fixed by a refactoring. Just wiped away and completely replaced. Sorry, about your frustration but I am too talented to waste my time lying about this. Also because every senior like me, s/he would reach the same conclusion.

POST SCRIPTUM

The reason is pretty straightforward, it has been designed for automotive market and not mobile market plus it has been designed to create a lock-in for automotive makers that adopt SFOS and wish to develop their own application.

Also the porting to Pinetab without 4G and A/GPS goes in that direction. It is the last desperate attempt to fit into a niche of a niche: cheap cockpit based on open hardware platform.

Betting on a cheap cockpit was part of my proposal to join Qt in order to help Jolla to develop the only miche-of-niche in which they could hope to make some cash flow in the immediate with the as less effort / investment as possible.