Random audio drops on wired headphones - plays from top speaker instead

REPRODUCIBILITY: 50% (sometimes)
OSVERSION: 4.4.0.68
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III - xqbt52 - xqbt52 - 1.0.0.142 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: English (US) (user: en_US, os: en_US.utf8)
REGRESSION: yes (since: 4.4.0.64 - aarch64)

DESCRIPTION:

Random audio drops on wired headphones - plays from top speaker instead

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Occurs at random

EXPECTED RESULTS:

Audio should not leave headphone channel when in use.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Occasional drops of wired headphone audio connection.

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: yes
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: no:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.8+git1

Have you considered that your headphones and/or phone may have developed a bad connection?

Unplugging and replugging redirects audio back to the earpiece, but a reboot fixes the issue…

I have the same problem, and it happened with at least two different headphones, a pair of Sennheiser in-ear without microphone (product label no longer readable) and brand new Sony MH750 with built-in microphone (They probably came with one of my earlier Sony cell phones, I started to use them because I first thought the dismantling cable of my Sennheiser would cause the problem).
Plugging the headphones in and out seems to change the volume level of the upper speaker when the problem happens, but it doesn’t solve the problem.

Is there something I can do to help track down this bug when it happens next time?

It happened again today, I collected some kernel messages, but I don’t know if they are relevant.

Further Investigation: When I plug out the headphone, gPodder stops playing, when I resume playing and plug the headphones back in, the volume will change according to the different volume settings for speaker and headphones, BUT it still plays from the speaker.

Should I report this as a regular Bug?