Question regarding Android Storage

On my XPeria XA2 running 4.5.0.25, my User Data reports Android storage as 2.9GB, and Android App data files as 4.3GB. This is starting to cause problems as the Android subsystem refuses to start once the free space drops below around 700MB, forcing me to delete files so that I can once again access Android apps. Android Storage is accessible through the File Manager, but I would like to access the App data files, where there must be over 1GB of data that I cannot otherwise access (assuming that 4.3GB is a superset of the 2.9GB). Where are they stored? Or is it intentional that these files are impossible to access and I have to delete apps to regain that space?

1 Like

If you start your filemanager from terminal you can access all files

1 Like

I know this is OT, but funny for me to discover more and more Amiga-Users like me here from Amigaworld.net, using also SFOS.

4 Likes

…or from https://www.a1k.org ;-).

2 Likes

I at least amass a hellotta MBs in my PDF reader app. When I go to System - Applications - Adobe Acrobat, the Data there shows I currently got 680 MB of stuff which is difficult if not impossible to find in the filemanager app. You can empty this cache-like storage from the aforementioned path. The data cache of other Android applications is obviously achievable in similar fashion.

1 Like

The continuous collection of old data is not exclusive to android - I also observe this for some sailfish apps I use, for instance hafenschau or Deutscher Wetterdienst.
Space Inspector from Open Repos is a nice tool to find those data collections and get rid of them.

4 Likes

The directory you are looking for is /home/.android/data/. You might need to be root to get in there.

3 Likes

Thanks, /home/.android appears to be what I was looking for. I can access it fine from the terminal, but if I launch a file manager from the terminal as root, it can’t see that directory. I’ll fumble through in the terminal anyway.

Thanks for the replies!

Heh, indeed. Alternative platform users unite :grin: Though I’m not on those sites very much.

2 Likes

Go for Nanofiles. File manager with inbuilt root mode which definitely
can access /home/.android.

3 Likes

Ooh, that’s nice! I found and removed the files I needed, but Nanofiles looks like a much more convenient way for the next time. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You have to enable showing of hidden files in the preferences to be able to see all the dot-files and -folders.

2 Likes

True, but that wasn’t the issue here, and it wasn’t enough to make this directory visible. There are some directories that simply can’t be seen unless the parent is viewed as root.

1 Like

Out of interest, was it Android itself or which app was to blame for this? You can see how much space each app is using and clear their data with the settings app, but there’s no easy way to see which are taking the most space right now.

2 Likes