Q: Xperia 10 single SIM update problem

My Sony Xperia 10 Single SIM does not find any updates to the (actual) edit: current version!
The last update from 3.4 to 4.0 did also not work by ‘system update’, so I did it by some terminal command I found here in the forum. This was partly successful, but Aliendalvik was gone and not reinstallable.

So now I wanted to repair the SFOS better, did a ‘Reset’ by this item in the settings menu and wanted to reinstall the actual version.

So I have now SFOS 3.3.0.16 (Rokua) on the phone. Access to the Jolla store is possible. Internet access and browser is working. But the ‘update’ item in settings says SFOS 3.3.0.16, up to date and no update available.

What can I do to force update by terminal command? Tried some commands I found here in the forum but none did work. What can I do?

Sounds a lot like your license has gone inactive somehow. I assume you had one for that phone to start with? If so, i guess customer service is your best bet.

Edit: PS: the English word “actual” does not work like the German counterpart. :slight_smile: You probably mean “current”.

1 Like

Have the same/similar with my X. No update never available via GUI (reboot. jolla account recreation, reboit, waiting…).

This device is listed under my account!
But it is a free SFOS version.

I just went the sfos-upgrade (by olf) way, or a simple ssu re xxxx can do almost same.

But if Android support is gone then it is worth contacting Jolla.

Did you

• deleted Jolla account
  • rebooted
  • recreated Jolla account
  • rebooted
  • open Store and check Android availability
    in that order?
    (one/first reboot may not be needed but better be safe)
1 Like

I did contact Jolla and now waiting for reply.

Also I followed exactly the steps from your post above.

I can access the shop and view the app lists. the images in the ‘activity’ section changes every few seconds, also the installed apps have a checkmark. So I’m sure to be really connected or logged in.

But there is NO download of any app possible. Not even simple things like the Jolla calendar or the calculator.

A few weeks ago, before the update, and before the downgrade by Reset, I couls install apps from the Jolla shop without any problems.

But because of my ‘Big brother’ and data safety “paranoia”, I did uninstall aliendalvik and deleted one folder in the system that seems to store some Android content.

The SFOS 4.0 was still working good after this, but later reinstalling aliendalvik was not possible. Trying to fix this, I made the reset and so there only SFOS 3.3.0.16 Rokua remains on the phone.

I tried to reflash the X10 with a freshly downloaded SFOS. Have now the problem, that the X10 does not connect to the computer.
Power off the phone, hold volume up, connect USB to computer, LED lights blue - works.

But then, no drive or volume appears on the computer.

Terminal output is (for a number of tries):
andrea@andrea-TravelMate-P249-M:~/Sailfish Handy/aaa BURN NOW$ sudo bash ./flash.sh
[sudo] Passwort für andrea:
Detected Linux
Searching device to flash…
Found FAILED, baseband:FAILED, bootloader:FAILED
Found 0 devices:
Incorrect number of devices connected. Make sure there is exactly one device connected in fastboot mode.
andrea@andrea-TravelMate-P249-M:~/Sailfish Handy/aaa BURN NOW$ sudo bash ./flash.sh
Detected Linux
Found 0 devices:
Incorrect number of devices connected. Make sure there is exactly one device connected in fastboot mode.
Detected Linux
Found 0 devices:
andrea@andrea-TravelMate-P249-M:~/Sailfish Handy/aaa BURN NOW$

Without sudo, as user, it’s exactly the same thing.
System is
Ubuntu 20.04 focal (x86-64)
5.8.0-44-generic

Have I to add some software to the Linux laptop to make it work?

edit: this is the content of the folder from which I tried to flash the X10:

andrea@andrea-TravelMate-P249-M:~/Sailfish Handy/aaa BURN NOW$ ll
insgesamt 2256856
drwxrwxr-x 2 andrea andrea 4096 Mär 23 17:27 ./
drwxrwxr-x 23 andrea andrea 4096 Mär 23 17:19 …/
-rwxr-xr-x 1 andrea andrea 97792 Okt 6 22:20 AdbWinApi.dll*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 andrea andrea 62976 Okt 6 22:20 AdbWinUsbApi.dll*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 andrea andrea 1314816 Okt 6 22:20 fastboot.exe*
-rw-r–r-- 1 andrea andrea 627962312 Okt 6 22:21 fimage.img001
-rw-r–r-- 1 andrea andrea 4688 Okt 6 22:20 flashing-README.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 andrea andrea 7844 Okt 6 22:21 flash-on-windows.bat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 andrea andrea 7299 Okt 6 22:21 flash.sh*
-rw-r–r-- 1 andrea andrea 277 Okt 6 22:20 hw-release
-rw-r–r-- 1 andrea andrea 20541440 Okt 6 22:20 hybris-boot.img
-rw-r–r-- 1 andrea andrea 21954560 Okt 6 22:20 hybris-recovery.img
-rw-r–r-- 1 andrea andrea 638 Okt 6 22:21 md5.lst
-rw-r–r-- 1 andrea andrea 257 Okt 6 22:20 os-release
-rw-r–r-- 1 andrea andrea 1413216024 Okt 6 22:21 sailfish.img001
-rw-rw-r-- 1 andrea andrea 225472684 Mai 21 2019 SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_9.0_2.3.2_v9_ganges.img
-rw-r–r-- 1 andrea andrea 323864 Okt 6 22:21 vendor.img001
andrea@andrea-TravelMate-P249-M:~/Sailfish Handy/aaa BURN NOW$

Is something missing or wrong here?

Are you using USB-cable with all the pins connected (some charger cables on have the power pins connected)?

Also iirc there has been reports on certain version of the USB-ports not working on Linux (USB2.x and less should work?) for flashing. If you are using newer machine, with USB3.x -ports, you should maybe try with some kind of USB-dongle/-hub in between?

It’s a USB-2 cable with no additional USB-3… pins and data connection and file exchange between computer and phone works perfect if phone is normal booted with the old Rokua system.

If I try to boot the phone in the update mode with (from completely off)
Push and hold Vol.up + plug in USB + wait for blue LED,

then starting the script in terminal (as sudo or not), the flash script seems to not find something that it needs and gives the above mentioned error messages.

Why doesn’t the computer detect the phone connected to USB? It was exactly one device connected per USB, plus an external mouse.

Reflashing the phone did not work. Entering fastboot mode by holding down Vol-up button and connect USB to the computer -> blue LED did work, but no volume did appear or was mounted on the computer.

Another thing did work and I will report here to finish the thread with a success:

As said above, the old SFOS 3.3.0.16 was still working after the system reset.
So I did the following in two steps::

(from 3.3 to 3.4)
Activated developer mode, opened a terminal and entered ‘devel-su’ mode, then

ssu re 3.4.0.24
version --dup

Then after reboot, I tested it if it works, it worked good.
After this, I started the update to SFOS 4.0 by command line:

devel-su
ssu re 4.0.1.48
version --dup
reboot.

then:

ssu dr customer-jolla
pkcon refresh
version --dup

After power on again, while entering the access code the second time, the phone switched to the new blue lighthouse background.
System info says now: SFOS 4.0.1.48 Koli
Mail accounts still present and working.
Phonebook entries OK

Conclusion: Update to SFOS 4 does only work from 3.4. From any older version, e.g. 3.3, it’s necessary to first update to 3.4, and then proceed to 4.0 .

@olf has written a script to update to the latest version from the terminal that, among other things, automatically takes so-called ‘stop releases’ (= releases you have to install before you can install the next update) into account, in case you want or have to update from the terminal in the future.

https://openrepos.net/content/olf/sfos-upgrade

3 Likes

Yes!

And ‘stop releases’ as mentioned here (in Notes 3):
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/release-notes-koli-4-0-1/454

or here:
https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005795474?mobile_site=true

or here:
https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201836347?mobile_site=true#4.1

or even here: :slight_smile:
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96283&highlight=stop+release

2 Likes

Fastboot isn’t a tool you use to mount any volumes, so you shouldn’t expect any of those to appear on your computer. When the phone led shows the blue light and you have your USB-cable connected, your fastboot executable should have your phone in the list of connected devices and you can start flashing the phone’s partitions with the SFOS images (aka run the flash.bat or ./flash iirc).

3 Likes

Now I see a mistake that I made with the command…
It surely should be
sudo ./flash.sh (in the bash shell),
and not
sudo bash ./flash.sh .

But despite, the command started something and tried to find the phone (Detected Linux
Searching device to flash…)
but could not find it
(Found FAILED, baseband:FAILED, bootloader:FAILED
Found 0 devices)

I cannot retry this, because as written above the other way to update the phone did work and now it’s running fine, and ‘never touch a working system!’.

1 Like